You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice Codec

Luca Brazza 1279338

Jonathan Fong
Posted
Posted
A separate voice client would not be able to retrieve the controller info, which contains the voice channel information for each controller, unless it created a second connection. Such a client would not be able to pull any data from the main pilot client as you suggest without modification to that client.

If a second connection is needed, so be it. I realize it's against existing policy for two connections to exist other than for ATISs, but making such a simple client and modifying existing policy accordingly will be much faster and easier to implement than waiting for Swift, a highly complex pilot client that will probably still need quite some time to be developed and tested accordingly.

Also, I never suggested pulling any data directly from the primary pilot client (i.e. SB or FSInn). To quote myself -

...you could forgo pulling the frequencies from the sim and simply enter them in manually in the client with something like a dropdown menu or scroll wheel...

I suggested that the user would have to MANUALLY input the desired radio frequency into the proposed voice client through some sort of input method, NOT that the proposed voice client would automatically pull it from the primary pilot client. I do, in fact, realize that the latter would require modification to the software. I believe you misread my original post.

The hybrid system is being investigated, but I would caution making suggestions on the difficultly of such a solution without an understanding of how the server software and codec software work.

I believe you misunderstood that part of my post as well, and for that I apologize - I didn't make it very clear. What I meant was that Ross himself (who would be far more knowledgable on the codec and VATSIM's technical side than any of us regular users) stated that it wouldn't be that difficult to implement, not that I personally thought it would be simple. You can look through the last forum thread made on the topic of VATSIM's voice quality for proof of his stating that.