You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATSIM newbie, seeking guidance...

Thomas Man 1411123

Thomas Man 1411123
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

First off just want to say I'm blown away with VATSIM. I'm new to flight sims and after going through learning the basics of flying and now entering the world of jets, I was recommended to looking in to VATSIM and oh my there's a lot haha!

I've read through all the docomeentation on the VATSIM web page, including all the general lessons, VFR and IFR lessons. I've downloaded vPilot as well as VATSpy but haven't learned how to really use them yet. I'm continuing to brush up on my practical flying skills and knowledge on my own in the FSX Learning Centre, however the whole VATSIM aspect is overwhelming, I've just recently learned how to flight a Flight Plan properly.

My question is I'm quite confident in flying the Cessna 172 (and learning other larger aircraft currently), so I was wondering if it were possible to join in on the VATSIM fun with my limited skills, or should I think about VATSIM at a later date? I'm very interested in the radio communications between ATCs and Pilots as well as practicing departing and arriving at airports with proper approach procedures, so I am excited to try VATSIM but also worried...

Where do I begin??

New to it all, but I'm keen to learn.

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

Hi Thomas,

You've taken the most important step, which is to be ready to learn! If you are comfortable with a C172 and VFR, you are more than welcome to load up when you feel ready and fly. Just put in your remarks that you are a new pilot, new pilots rw do it as well. The PRC is a great resource, I see you have read VATSIM docomeentation but I'm not sure exactly which you've read as there is a lot, and many things change depending on the area you are looking to fly. I would suggest that you register in, and complete a pilot training course through an Authorized Training Organization at https://ptd.vatsim.net/atos. They will help with online flying and get you started.

Again, nobody expects you to be perfect, but it is very important to have an attitude of wanting to learn which it appears you have. If a controller has some time, they should be able to answer a few questions for you and get you going. Don't initially load up at a busy, or major airport like EGLL or KJFK and expect that the controller will be able to explain everything to you, but you may have more luck with a controller who has only none, 1, or 2 aircraft on frequency.

Unfortunately I don't have much time for a post, but welcome to VATSIM! I'm sure others will post with some more information.

- Nick

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Thomas Man 1411123
Posted
Posted
I would suggest that you register in, and complete a pilot training course through an Authorized Training Organization at https://ptd.vatsim.net/atos. They will help with online flying and get you started.

Thank you very much for the reply Nick, I am keen to learn more and get myself up to speed for sure. One question regarding the ratings, is it a requirement that pilots have P1 minimum to join VATSIM? Also are the ATOs affiliated with VATSIM or are they an external source to acquire such ratings? Should I choose an ATO that is nearby to my timezone/location or can I pick anywhere? I know you're busy so if anyone else can answer these questions too I'd be more than grateful!

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
One question regarding the ratings, is it a requirement that pilots have P1 minimum to join VATSIM?

Nope. You're welcome to hop on at any time. If you want to just observe, connect at a busy airport with ATC and just listen to what's happening on the radios.

Also are the ATOs affiliated with VATSIM or are they an external source to acquire such ratings?

They are affiliated in the sense that they can train and issue ratings in accordance with VATSIM's guidance on the knowledge requirements for the ratings.

Should I choose an ATO that is nearby to my timezone/location or can I pick anywhere?

Feel free to go anywhere. With that said, I always recommend VATSTAR for training. They have instructors for both Europe/ICAO procedures, and FAA (US) procedures.

I will say this... I always recommend that new pilots observe/start flying where they plan to fly most often. The US is a lot different than Europe, especially when it comes to VFR. Mixing the two might only lead to you becoming confused. Just my two cents there.

Thomas Man 1411123
Posted
Posted
I will say this... I always recommend that new pilots observe/start flying where they plan to fly most often. The US is a lot different than Europe, especially when it comes to VFR. Mixing the two might only lead to you becoming confused. Just my two cents there.

Thank you for the detailed responses! How do I go about joining VATSIM and listening in to ATCs without filing a flight plan and doing all the pre-connecting procedures?

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
How do I go about joining VATSIM and listening in to ATCs without filing a flight plan and doing all the pre-connecting procedures?

You just don't file a flightplan. Just connect on the ramp and listen in. Use a website like VATTASTIC to see where ATC is online (and with traffic). What pre-connecting procedures are you talking about?

Thomas Man 1411123
Posted
Posted
What pre-connecting procedures are you talking about?

Oh I just meant about vPilot and giving myself callsigns and all that, but I figured it out on my own last night and spent some time listening in to the ATC. I found it was quite difficult at times to understand some radio traffic due to heavy static, is that normal or because of a player’s mic?

Also considering I’ve only flown a Cessna 172 for about 10hours, do you reckon I hold off on joining VATSIM for a while? Someone previously had recommend I get 100hours before an attempt, which I’m happy to put the work in if it’s deemed necessary. I’m picking up more and more every time I play so I’m enjoying it.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Given that many newcommers appear to jump straight into the airliner-flying-IFR deep-end on VATSIM with 0 hours of any sort of meaningful experience, your 10 hours is quite literally an infinite factor of improvement, mathematically speaking.

Personally, I'd say forget about numbers and focus on trying to straddle the edge between comfort and challenge, moving forward (or backward) at your own pace.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
considering I’ve only flown a Cessna 172 for about 10hours, do you reckon I hold off on joining VATSIM for a while? Someone previously had recommend I get 100hours before an attempt, which I’m happy to put the work in if it’s deemed necessary.

More important than possessing an arbitrary number of hours would be possessing a set of basic skills, such as being able to hold an altitude, heading, and speed (with or without the use of autopilot) and to understand and promptly follow basic instructions. If you're going to be flying VFR, a rudimentary understanding of the standard airport traffic pattern and Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B / C / D airspace boundaries is a good idea too. If you can safely handle the aircraft in a standard pattern and follow basic instructions like heading and altitude changes, there's no reason you shouldn't jump on and start practicing with human Air Traffic Controllers. It's a smart idea to stay away from busier airspace until you're sure you're comfortable & competent, though.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
I found it was quite difficult at times to understand some radio traffic due to heavy static, is that normal or because of a player’s mic?

Normal (and realistic!) to some extent, but can be exacerbated by bad equipment at times. The more you listen in and practice communicating with air traffic control, the more you learn to anticipate what will be said, which will make it easier to understand when you hear it.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Thomas Man 1411123
Posted
Posted
Given that many newcommers appear to jump straight into the airliner-flying-IFR deep-end on VATSIM with 0 hours of any sort of meaningful experience, your 10 hours is quite literally an infinite factor of improvement, mathematically speaking.

Personally, I'd say forget about numbers and focus on trying to straddle the edge between comfort and challenge, moving forward (or backward) at your own pace.

Yeah my goal is more to learn than to fly...if that makes sense? I don't wanna be jumping in to VATSIM not having understood basic concepts, physics or skills yet. I've got a pretty good handle on the C172, however I seem to be having trouble picking up learning how to fly something more complex like the Beechcraft Baron (I've only just started 3-4 hours in so I'm sure I'll pick it up once I practice more...).

Thomas Man 1411123
Posted
Posted
If you can safely handle the aircraft in a standard pattern and follow basic instructions like heading and altitude changes, there's no reason you shouldn't jump on and start practicing with human Air Traffic Controllers. It's a smart idea to stay away from busier airspace until you're sure you're comfortable & competent, though.

I definitely can handle the basics for sure, I managed to pick up flying the Cessna quite quickly and it has been fun flying it around...maybe I'll try and find a smaller airport with an ATC on that I can practice with

Thomas Man 1411123
Posted
Posted

Just want to say thank you so far for all the help guys, I'm very keen to keep learning and understanding various concepts of flying and VATSIM. I'll see if I can get my P1 rating and enjoy the world of VATSIM soon.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Hi Thomas,

Just to echo what some of the others have said above -- your attitude to this is outstanding and I would strongly recommend that you get yourself on a Pilot Rating course and work through the ratings from P1 upward, not least because that way you will learn 'the right way' from the start rather than having to un-learn bad habits and will (if you are at a good ATO) be gently supported in to VATSIM with an instructor alongside you!

Out of interest, what sim are you running?

I'm not sure whereabouts in the world you are but -- I run BAVirtual's ATO where we provide one-on-one shared cockpit tuition for students with FSX/FSX-SE or P3D (our courses are UK based though we obviously have an international membership and many non-UK based students) for P1 through P3 ratings and very soon to be P5. PM me if you would like some more information!

Good luck!

Vice President, Pilot Training

Thomas Man 1411123
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure whereabouts in the world you are but -- I run BAVirtual's ATO where we provide one-on-one shared cockpit tuition for students with FSX/FSX-SE or P3D (our courses are UK based though we obviously have an international membership and many non-UK based students) for P1 through P3 ratings and very soon to be P5. PM me if you would like some more information!

Thanks for the kind words, I’m using FSX. And in reference to your question, I’m from Hong Kong but keen to take on the offer! Let’s talk further in a pm