You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Discussion: If you could change one thing about VATSIM...

Matthew Bartels

tony moseley 1088954
Posted
Posted

Oddly enough I have already requested a change to petty censorship on Vatsim forums in this very thread and now find a word has been deleted from my previous post.

The word used is a part of a harmless phrase which has 34 entries without previous censorship on this very forum used by staff members themselves including Kyle Ramsey and Kyprianos Biris, or 146 previous entries when the word is used in the past tense.

Shame.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nestor Perez

• Andreas Fuchs

• Johnny Coughlan

• Sean Harrison

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nestor Perez

Nestor Perez 15 posts

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 9 posts

• Johnny Coughlan

Johnny Coughlan 9 posts

• Sean Harrison

Sean Harrison 9 posts

Popular Days

• Jun 18 2018

46 posts

• Jun 19 2018

26 posts

• Jun 22 2018

15 posts

• Jul 21 2018

10 posts

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
a word has been deleted from my previous post.

Normally if any message gets edited you would see who did it, when and a reason saying why at the bottom right corner of your post. Not the case here

Me.

tony moseley 1088954
Posted
Posted

Nestor, the word went with "contest".

Perhaps there is a problem with finding a reason.

Mark Hubbert 1054583
Posted
Posted
I’m going to be naughty and add another one. It is ex staff being given reserved staff callsigns (usually by divisions). Why is this a thing? It is cronyism at its worst. VATSIM should not be giving ex staff “perks” like a reserved callsign because it is not their purpose (ie identify an online staff member). It is confusing and also just “wrong”.

Please can this be looked into and banned? It makes my skin crawl. Why would anyone want one?!?

Callum, obviously you must be disgruntled about something. Guilty as charged. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned the previous Division Director as Director Emeritus. I done this for a variety of reasons none of which I regret. First off as a show of respect to somebody who dedicated 5 years of their life to this hobby and the countless um-appreciated hours that went with that. The second reason was to act as a consultant or provide insight or sound advice when requested. I guess perhaps such a title is not warranted but in the case of VATUSA it is more than deserved. On another note, my predecessor handles a lot of the support tickets without being asked to which provides a tremendous breath of fresh air to the other staff members who are constantly trying to collaborate to seek improvements and growth so with that statement it is also warranted. Sorry to rant on this issue but I feel like if everybody could just seek the positive and not bring forth so much negative, we might be able to bring about new things, new ideas and positive growth.

Mark Hubbert

Division Director VATUSA

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this is possible in Vatsim but it would be very nice if pilots could get some sort aural signal on the pilot client when entering a new ATC CTR, this would invite pilots to check in and lessen CTR's load during busy periods. I have to admit that generally I wait for the call it is difficult to know when I'm crossing boundaries.

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Mark Hubbert 1054583
Posted
Posted
Not sure if this is possible in Vatsim but it would be very nice if pilots could get some sort aural signal on the pilot client when entering a new ATC CTR, this would invite pilots to check in and lessen CTR's load during busy periods. I have to admit that generally I wait for the call it is difficult to know when I'm crossing boundaries.

I understand your frustration. Something that may help you with this. I use Simbrief for flightplanning and in the flightplan it specifies the boundaries. ie.

AA 683/02 OCT/MEM-DFW

Page 4

FLIGHT LOG

----------

MOST CRITICAL MORA 03400 FEET AT TOC///MXSHR 02 AT TOC

--------------------------------------------------------------------

AWY FL IMT MN WIND OAT EFOB PBRN

POSITION LAT EET ETO MORA ITT TAS COMP TDV

IDENT LONG TTLT ATO DIS RDIS GS SHR TRP AFOB ABRN

FREQ

--------------------------------------------------------------------

257 18.5 0.8

MEMPHIS INT N3502.5 ... 24 257 M010

KMEM W08958.6 0000 ... 402 409 .... ....

CHLDR3 214 260 .66 264/010 M13 17.0 2.3

PEPOC N3454.3 0008 ... 24 259 M010 P15

PEPOC W09043.8 0008 ... 47 355 409 501 .... ....

CHLDR3 224 260 .68 263/011 M15 16.9 2.4

CHLDR N3453.6 0001 ... 23 259 M011 P15

CHLDR W09048.1 0009 ... 4 351 415 501 .... ....

CHLDR3 307 259 .76 318/016 M33 15.0 4.3

ANSWA N3444.5 0008 ... 25 259 M008 P13

ANSWA W09146.5 0017 ... 49 302 451 499 .... ....

DCT 329 252 .76 318/021 M39 14.3 5.0

LITTLE ROCK N3440.7 0004 ... 26 252 M011 P12

LIT W09210.8 0021 ... 20 282 442 499 .... ....

DCT 340 251 .76 314/023 M42 13.5 5.7

T O C N3434.9 0003 ... 34 252 450 M011 P11

W09232.8 0024 ... 19 263 439 2 497 .... ....

DCT 340 248 .76 327/021 M42 12.8 6.5

MEEOW N3419.1 0007 ... 34 248 452 M006 P11

MEEOW W09331.4 0031 ... 51 212 446 2 499 .... ....

DCT 340 248 .76 327/021 M42 12.5 6.8

FEWWW N3411.7 0002 ... 30 249 452 M004 P11

FEWWW W09354.1 0033 ... 20 192 448 2 499 .... ....

FT WORTH FIR/UIR

-KZFW N3412.2 0000 ...

W09352.7 0033 ... 0 192

SEEVR4 340 247 .76 319/021 M42 11.6 7.7

PROWD N3348.6 0009 ... 26 249 452 M008 P11

PROWD W09508.4 0042 ... 66 126 444 2 499 .... ....

If you look the plan specifies FTW Airspace around FEWWW.

Mark Hubbert

Division Director VATUSA

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information.

regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

• 5 months later...
Christiaan Hoek
Posted
Posted

This has probably been asked before, but...

As a VR pilot it would help me immensely if Unicom 122.8 had voice support.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Coming soon

Me.

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted
Coming soon

™ ®

Sander Cedee
Posted
Posted

I would love to see some kind of script that helps the aircraft somewhat clamping on the same level at airports. IVAO has something like that. As a mac user on X-plane I’ll guess others see mee burried in the ground because I see them, I think from FSX or Prepar3d, floating way above me.

I’ll stay on VATSIM though, because XSquawkbox is the only program that functions great on mac with automatich switching between frequencies.

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted
I would love to see some kind of script that helps the aircraft somewhat clamping on the same level at airports. IVAO has something like that. As a mac user on X-plane I’ll guess others see mee burried in the ground because I see them, I think from FSX or Prepar3d, floating way above me.

I’ll stay on VATSIM though, because XSquawkbox is the only program that functions great on mac with automatich switching between frequencies.

That feature is planned for both an upcoming update to XSquawkBox, as well as the new Swift client in the works. It has nothing to do with VATSIM really, but the individual clients. But you'll get that feature in the future!

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Sander Cedee
Posted
Posted

great news!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot already does ground clamping, which I realize doesn't help you as an X-Plane user, but I wanted readers of this thread to know that VATSIM does have that feature already at least for FSX and P3D users.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Alan McDonley
Posted
Posted
.. IVAO ... can log my hours, get medals ... a reward system

I would like to 2nd this. (I just this week switched from IVAO.)

The IVAO tours (VFR GA tours in my case) system gave me purpose and recorded the results of my flying. Once a week or so, I spent about two hours preparing for a tour leg, 30 to 150 minutes flying a leg, 15 minutes reporting my leg, and then checking the next day to check that my tour leg had been accepted/qualified.

The tours introduced parts of the country to me that enable conversations when I meet folks IRL from those parts. It also felt very sweet to get the 2018 USA East Coast VFR Tour ribbon after 20 legs in 8 months.

Alan McDonley
Posted
Posted

I keep dreaming about being able to fly out of, in to, and do circuits at, my local GA airport with a few other voice enabled pilots to practice VFR announcing on a CTAF with VFR traffic in the pattern. Being able to deal with a Cub, a C152/172, and a Baron58 with me in the pattern, or adding one taking off, or adding an inbound 45 on downwind (or direct to crosswind or base), or one plane doing a T&G and one doing full stop to clear the runway, at the same time as radio work would really build my confidence and GA competence.

This could be used as training and certification for new GA sim pilots, and might encourage more GA participation.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Voice CTAF is under consideration / construction at this time, with major open testing having been recently announced.

VATSIM itself doesn't offer the tours and medals you suggest, but, there are a number of VA flying clubs *within* VATSIM that may.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Peter  Punsvik 1401265
Posted
Posted

Faster refresh-rate of player positions.

I have never seen anyone do a smooth landing on VATSIM, because positions of players are only updated every second or so. That makes players lagging and teleporting around which I think is very immersive breaking. Positions should be updated at least 5 or 10 times a second and in realtime.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

That's already an ongoing project for FSD Development

Me.

Timm Rehberg
Posted
Posted

Hi,

is there any possible idea how we can change the fact that people use the real callsign but are offset to the real times/routes etc. ?

I wanted to take a real flight today on VATSIM but the callsign was already in use as someone departed 2 hours earlier already (4 hours earlier than the real flight).

It could be possible maybe with a range. Within a range of 500nm, the callsign only once.

Or a bit more difficult:

The login on vPilot with Callsign, Selcal and Registration. During the connection, a unique user-code gets created and linked to the callsign, registration and selcal + name and Vatsim ID. So the chat is only working with .msg VATSIM-ID TEXT because the login is only allowed once. And if a controller is clicking on the plane tag, it automatically uses the generated code to communicate instead of only the callsign.

I don´t know if this is too complicated or futurism but it was a idea, even for the Model matching.

If I login with D-ABYA that others vPilot is first looking for a D-ABYA in their libary and with a match, it shows the correct plane. If not - it takes another random one.

VATSIM Vision 2.0

Regards

Timm Rehberg 
V1 Simulations | SimAware

A32X_Cockpit.png
MSFS | Prepar3D v5.3 | Intel i9 9900K | ASUS TUF 3090 | ASUS Z390E

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/V1Simulations/
raanyylv.png

George Peppard
Posted
Posted
Within a range of 500nm, the callsign only once.

I doubt this would work - if I log on as ABC123 flying KLAX-EGLL, and someone else logs on as ABC123 flying OMDB-EGLL, that's going to create a significant headache for Heathrow when they have 2 ABC123s.

All the best,

George Peppard
ATC Examiner (S1, S2)
VATSIM United Kingdom Division

• 2 months later...
Scott Bickford
Posted
Posted

Almost near painful boredom as ATC: we need the ability to add or remove AI / robots as we see fit.

Scott Bickford

810789.png

810789.png

Joseph Jucha 1343412
Posted
Posted

Somehow increase Supervisor coverage. So many Sups, but they seem to run in packs. I know they have minimums to make each quarter, so the hours shouldn't be a problem. We really need them during the fringe times. I just had a guy with 3k hrs that didn't know to sq mode C. Nor how to follow instructions, but that could just be he didn't want to.

I got to the door!