You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Discussion: If you could change one thing about VATSIM...

Matthew Bartels

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted
Dormant regions should not be required to have a regular structure(VACC) Instead, any VATSIM C1 rated controller should be able to man those positions until the situation has sufficiently improved to justify building a regular structure.

Excellent idea, in my opinion.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nestor Perez

• Andreas Fuchs

• Johnny Coughlan

• Sean Harrison

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nestor Perez

Nestor Perez 15 posts

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 9 posts

• Johnny Coughlan

Johnny Coughlan 9 posts

• Sean Harrison

Sean Harrison 9 posts

Popular Days

• Jun 18 2018

46 posts

• Jun 19 2018

26 posts

• Jun 22 2018

15 posts

• Jul 21 2018

10 posts

Richard Luo 1412645
Posted
Posted

Charts - helpful if links are found on a (division?) website? Usually I just google _ _ _ _ charts

A very simple test [or quiz ] on sign-up like the atsimtest for S1. Provide docomeents for them to prepare. At least this ensures they will have a rough idea of what is a clearance, different types of approaches, how to talk to atc etc

Support for the new Europe frequencies if possible to implement

One has an option to view the callsign of an atc frequency in the pilot client?

well when I fly to new places I don't know if it's Control, Center or Radar, so this cld probably help

Craig Tomkins 1075089
Posted
Posted

A little more increase on helicopters;

Model matching

Training

Events

Voice unicom

Also a controller rating system might be good to encourage good airmanship and increase knowledge.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
Dormant regions should not be required to have a regular structure(VACC) Instead, any VATSIM C1 rated controller should be able to man those positions until the situation has sufficiently improved to justify building a regular structure.

I thought we already have this? Every now and then you can read that such and such airspace is now "Open Airspace" and any visiting controller to that Region can control.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Well, apart from the (quite obvious) new voice codec, I’d like to see some sort of “restriction” during busy events and/or practical tests regarding text pilots. It is already quite stressful by itself when you have many pilots on voice as to in addition need to “take care” of all the ones on text which usually first type their readback and then comply, messing everything up...

Me.

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted (edited)

I thought we already have this? Every now and then you can read that such and such airspace is now "Open Airspace" and any visiting controller to that Region can control.

Sean's point I think is not about visiting but opening up dead areas outside of the VATSIM bureaucratic visiting regime system, this is why a C3 in VATEUD is a mute rating because there is no 'real' benefit over a C1.

Edited by Guest

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Time for a new global membership survey.

The last one was in spring 2006 and we've done quite a few laps of the sun since then. Vatsim's direction is too often dictated by the (very small) vocal minority while the majority of the membership just get on with their hobby in silence. Reboot what was done in 2006 and let's see who the membership are now and what they think.

Do that and we have real hard nosed facts to base opinions and direction on rather than guesswork.

Bill Casey

Lenny Colton
Posted
Posted

We need to find some way to implement 8.33kHz spaced frequencies, as many major frequencies in the UK and elsewhere have changed over to the new spacing, but VATSIM cannot, causing many frequencies to be made up or "as close as possible".

Semir Gebran
Posted
Posted

Sean's point I think is not about visiting but opening up dead areas outside of the VATSIM bureaucratic visiting regime system, this is why a C3 in VATEUD is a mute rating because there is no 'real' benefit over a C1.

Exactly. It seems in some areas there's bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy. These dormant regions are simply too quiet to have a regular structure enforced upon it.

Someone would gladly man such a dormant airspace as a change from the usual routine, but investing time, effort and going through hurdles to be rewarded a privilege to control such a dormant airspace does not seem attractive.

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
Time for a new global membership survey.

The last one was in spring 2006 and we've done quite a few laps of the sun since then. Vatsim's direction is too often dictated by the (very small) vocal minority while the majority of the membership just get on with their hobby in silence. Reboot what was done in 2006 and let's see who the membership are now and what they think.

Do that and we have real hard nosed facts to base opinions and direction on rather than guesswork.

Bill

This is one of the outputs we are considering as a result of this thread.

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Jakob Lindved Marker
Posted
Posted

1. Remove the option to use text entirely. It completely ruins the immersion for controllers & voice pilots alike. Alternatively introduce the option to ban the use of text during events.

2. Better voice codec (obviously).

3. Introduce a rating system for pilots & controllers alike. If you’ve been in contact with someone (eg. tuned to their frequency), have a pop up asking you to rate the pilot/controller.

This has the benefit of nudging people into polite / professional behaviour, as a poor (public) rating would be frowned upon. At the same time it allows new pilots to join the network without being required to sit an entrance exam, but still have them strive to improve their rating - and thereby their skill level.

4. Display traffic properly. Hook into the simulators, lower the gear when the pilot actually does it. Same goes for flaps, lights & general tracking of aircraft around the network.

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

Maybe a controversial one:

Some sort of mic test (through pilot client) for those that choose to use voice.

5 lights - must achieve 3 green lights to connect.

I'm not suggesting we punish those that choose text over voice either before anyone jumps on that bandwagon, just an idea to address mic/audio quality.

Matt Booker
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 2 Lead

unnamed.png.9c373918856698c30d9103fb632eabff.png[email protected]

ALESSANDRO ANILE 1405999
Posted
Posted

I would change the mode to change the frequency of the radio DELIVERY, GROUND, TOWER, APPROACH, CTR and vice versa, it takes too much time, to write .com1 and send key, especially immediately after take-off and in the approach phase that you have to do many things in little time, you have to bear in mind, that in the flight simulation we are alone, there is not the captain and the first officer: in my opinion it needs a faster mode through a click.

By Alessandro Anile 1405999

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

You can actually do it with the aircraft radio itself. Just prepare your next frequency and leave it on standby on the radio so all you have to do later is just click the swap button.

Me.

Andrew Morkunas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Let go of old technology. One reason I heard that the voice codec is not being updated so as not to let go of Squawkbox and FSInn client users. Reality check, we are in the 21st century and even Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP. I gave up believing Swift will be 'the' client solution. My personal opinion will be that POSCON will go live before we even see a Swift beta. Move the technology into the 21st century.

If you own any flight simulation software older than 10 years - upgrade.....

Edited by Guest

Andrew Morkunas

spacer.png

Twitch: padre_andrew ATC Simulations

Óskar Berenguer
Posted
Posted

When POSCON gets released I dont think VATSIM will have much to compete with, why don't we face it and just help doing a smooth transition into a more tech advanced network, aren't we all here because we love the hobby? I guess it shouldn't be a problem then to move on to a new place where things probably will be better.

Callum McLoughlin
Posted
Posted

Given the number of people who never visit this forum, has any consideration been given to approaching VAs for their members' views?

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

The leadership.

Become a network that embraces the changing landscape, don't fight it. Don't be dial up in a broadband world.

Cheers,

Rahul

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Let me just quickly toss my hat on the bandwagon for some form of mandatory pilot training. I don't think a mandatory P1 would be too much to ask of new members, nor would it place too great a burden to enact since the existing PTD specs do not call for anything more than a written test, which we handle in a completely self-guided, automated fashion. As far as I am concerned, VATSTAR would be prepared to implement this tomorrow, if in some strange parallel universe it were to happen that quickly.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Zachary Woock 1176893
Posted
Posted

From a controllers perspective, I do not care to control on the network much anymore due to the lack of professionalism by the part of some pilots. A good majority of the pilots online do a decent job but it tends to be the few that ruin all the fun for everyone else.

Pilot training should be mandatory and it should be done in-house. With the advent of FSX on steam, we saw an influx of pilots onto the network that treated like it was a GameSpy server.

From a members perspective, the owners clinging onto the network like it's some golden egg is really poor form. VATSIM should have become a non-profit LLC a long time ago. With expanded financial resources from donations, this place could have had a dedicated pilot and ATC client years ago. Not to mention a change in codecs.

In short, it's time to start from scratch. Remove all elected positions and generate a new structure to help run the network. Everything from pilot training to ATC, to client D&D, should be done in-house and not left to individual developers. Like many others, I work for an airline as a pilot and VATSIM used to be a fun way to experience the other side of the mic. Pilots, on the whole, used to be more professional and take this seriously. It is my opinion that if the network continues to operate in this outdated fashion then eventually it will be replaced by a new network or users will slowly splinter off to other networks.

ZNY ARTCC S3

FAA ATP CFII/MEI

ALESSANDRO ANILE 1405999
Posted
Posted

For radio frequency change, I mean a click directly on Vpilot, not on the aircraft radio, because you are forced to move the camera distracting.

By Alessandro Anile 1405999

Adam Farquharson
Posted
Posted

Personally I think a small test before allowing pilots to connect to the network, no training required but just basics of the procedures like how to request IFR clearance and other basics similar. This could be done in a Moodle course with the basic information.

The biggest thing that has to change soon is the voice codec, the sound quality is awful and when combined with poor mic quality and maybe a different accent it can be near imposible to hear some pilots as a controller and as a pilot it can be even harder over the noise of the engines.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Pilot test / Voice use promotion / Please, for the love of X, can we ditch the ISDN modems already and at least move in the general direction of where the rest of technology has gone the last 15 years.

Clarke Kruger
Posted
Posted (edited)
1. Remove the option to use text entirely. It completely ruins the immersion for controllers & voice pilots alike. Alternatively introduce the option to ban the use of text during events.

Been discussed more times then you can count , Not every VATSIM pilot has the ability to speak or hear!!!

I would change the mode to change the frequency of the radio DELIVERY, GROUND, TOWER, APPROACH, CTR and vice versa, it takes too much time, to write .com1 and send key, especially immediately after take-off and in the approach phase that you have to do many things in little time, you have to bear in mind, that in the flight simulation we are alone, there is not the captain and the first officer: in my opinion it needs a faster mode through a click..

It's called anticipate, Listen to the channel, easy to figure out where you're going to be sent off next.

I've been on this network for some 20yrs now and although I absolutely agree pilots should have some sort of clue before logging on I don't ever see it happening. To many want everything spoon fed to them. Can't be bothered to get charts, enter the proper ICAO codes for aircraft or airlines, determine active runways. Which are ALL available online. It's very easy to make yourself a knowledgeable and competent pilot, but that would involve reading and learning, Which has become a lost art.

I believe change is needed, and change it good but it's only as successful as the people involved with it.

Edited by Guest

Clarke Kruger

Edmonton (CYEG) AB, Canada

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 1

Have a question? Email [email protected]

William Anderson 1210226
Posted
Posted

VATSIM's motto is "As real as it gets"

No it isn't nor has it ever been. That is a Microsoft motto for their product.

Take it then off the website then! This is the first thing people see when they go to the website. Why are we promoting something that at the end of the day, VATSIM doesn't support. If VATSIM doesn't support it, remove it. This is part of the problem. The BOG and the Founders need to get on the same page before anything getting talked about above gets done.

https://prnt.sc/jwz2zz

https://www.vatsim.net/about