You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Eastbound 2018 Reviews

Domminick Cohn-Belmont 135

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

The controllers did a great job despite being overwhelmed at times.

nebojsa

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andreas Fuchs

• Richard Quigley

• Domminick Cohn-Belmont 135

• Torben Andersen

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 11 posts

• Richard Quigley

Richard Quigley 5 posts

• Domminick Cohn-Belmont 135

Domminick Cohn-Belmont 135 5 posts

• Torben Andersen

Torben Andersen 3 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 28 2018

16 posts

• Oct 29 2018

15 posts

• Oct 30 2018

14 posts

• Nov 11 2018

3 posts

Andrew Morkunas
Posted
Posted
This was the worst ever thing I have flown with on Vatsim, all the things that happen makes me want not to fly ever again on the network.

But did you have a good time?

Welcome to Cross the Pond. Your experience is typical of a CTP event. The slogan "As real as it gets" does not apply. A better mindset is, "As real as you want it to be."

Andrew Morkunas

spacer.png

Twitch: padre_andrew ATC Simulations

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
A better mindset is, "As real as you want it to be."

Touché; including myself here...

Me.

Alex Bresnick
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Alex Bresnick

Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted
So... "all of these controllers must be masochists."
You are so right!

Quig, C3, P1, VATPAC, CZQM (inact), CZQX (ret).

4200+ hrs of "Chaos, Panic & Disorder in your virtual skies!"

0.png

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted
So...

Departure from Boston was perfect. I ended up with my wheels up one minute after my slot time, if I remember correctly. Very impressed with that. Boston's radar controllers, also great, as usual.

Glad to hear it Thanks for the kind words.

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hey Alex,

thanks for your review.

Re "more controllers": this is where the snake bites its own tail: because it is so messy (lack of controllers...), those who take part say never again! That's why it is so hard to re-hire people for this event. Now, if we got 30 experienced C1/C3 controllers for Moncton, Gander and Shanwick, the mess would be reduced to a minimum or not existent at all. For this the CTP-team needs to convince veteran controllers to join to get this kind of staffing up, avoiding completely congested frequencies.

Re CPDLC: here, the thing is that currently CPDLC is the most realistic data-communication available to SIM-pilots. It may be different in a year or two if some generous developer made something this for us. In the mean time our best choice is, in my opinion, CPDLC. The only missing-link is automatic detection and integration of the submitted data to update our Oceanic Tool. Unfortunately, this tool is only visible to accredited controllers of Shanwick/Gander, so posting a link doesn't help much. Basically it has the same basic functions and looks as the real world controller tools in Prestwick (I visitied them last year and could verify this first hand). If we had this, the amount of radio chatter would be minimal and oceanic controllers could finally concentrate on what they actually had to do: analyze the data and detect potential conflicts. The oceanic tool does help with this task well. If you'd like more info about this, let me know.

The bottom line is: convince more controllers to take part and re[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure them that the amount of chaos will be minimized or even a thing of the past if we surp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] a certain number of controllers for this event, a critical m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]. And integrate CPDLC into the Oceanic Tool.