You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Why are...

Lance Williams

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

VA posted events moved to the event forum and not ARTCC events here?

Just curious. Is there a policy that states VA's can't post events here, yet ARTCC's can?

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted

Good point...

Robert Burkhead 810310
Posted
Posted

...and the curious are interested in what makes one event sticky, and another not?

Robert Burkhead

Jacksonville ARTCC

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

I would imagine that this thread probably has an answer to the latter question.

As for why they should go to events I would imagine that would be for maximum exposure. Why move it to some artcc forum when it can be viewed by many in a single place?

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
I would imagine that this thread probably has an answer to the latter question.

As for why they should go to events I would imagine that would be for maximum exposure. Why move it to some artcc forum when it can be viewed by many in a single place?

We post our events in this "VATUSA" forum because our events take place in VATUSA territory. The event forum here is a mess and posts easily get buried there.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Thats the best way I ever heard of advertising an event. You might have the best event ever but somebody from, for example South Africa, might never have seen it.

Very insular.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
Thats the best way I ever heard of advertising an event. You might have the best event ever but somebody from, for example South Africa, might never have seen it.

Very insular.

Again, if our event is in VATUSA territory, this is the best place to post it. I personally avoid the event forum here as it is a mess.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

So besides Norman's "insular" comments, is there a policy here? Seems like moderators sticky, move or delete posts on whims here.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Remembering that I have squat to do with events, ISTR that there were guidelines mentioned in the thread I linked - if not it was certainly one of the very first posts in events.

From what I recall events were to be stickied until complete.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

My understanding has been that events are made sticky if they are one-time, ARTCC sponsored events. Weekly announcements are not made sticky.

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Chad Black
Posted
Posted
My understanding has been that events are made sticky if they are one-time, ARTCC sponsored events. Weekly announcements are not made sticky.

So then why is the Boston Tea Party a sticky? Its the 4th one they have had on 4 years. lol Whats also confusing is how ARTCC'c can get away with posting about their events in multiple forums, yet a VA will get virtually stoned for doing so.

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

I'm not excusing it, but rather explaining what I believe is the case right now.

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

As far as I know, there were no regulations on this forum about posting events that will happen here. And personally, I agree that the Fly-Ins forum is pretty sloppy and in the end, pointless. There are just so many events that it makes it very difficult to pay attention to what's going on, and before you know it...your event will be bumped down out of view. The global-scale Event forum is a good idea in theory, but not in practice.

Perhaps each Region or Division should just have its own Events forum...

Obviously these posts shouldn't be restricted to ARTCC forums, but the VATSIM Event Forum doesn't seem the place for maximum exposure, either. To me it just seems a jumbled mess of dozens and dozens of fly-ins and group flight notices. Perhaps its just my own grumpiness or whatever, I just don't bother looking there anymore. If we had our own forum for U.S. and Canadian fly-ins, VA and ARTCC hosted, with the other remaining rules for posting still enforced, it would be much easier and more concise.

And then if I wanted to go see if there were any fly-ins in the UK upcoming, I know that there is a UK-Events forum, and so on, and so on...

Steve Ogrodowski

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

This is my perspective and by no means the 'rules'.

As the VATUSA Director of Communications I see this forum as a place for VATUSA to post news and information of interest to its controllers and pilots, as opposed to the balance of the VATSIM world. To that end I post news and events relative to VATUSA and VATUSA ARTCC's. Either myself or Jeff will sticky events that have some time bound to them or we want to remain at the top of the forum. We both remove those stickies when the time has past or we no longer feel it needs 'top of the page' focus.

VATSIM set up the fly in notices board specifically for fly ins. If it's done right and you follow their format, the moderator there will sticky your event for the duration. Here it gets, hopefully, international focus. If you do not post your event here you may miss out on overseas folks who don't read the VATUSA forum regularly. They do seem to not want weekly or monthly events to be posted there as it is then harder to manage the sticky aspect of that forum.

I am not aware of any rule or guideline that prohibits individual VA's from posting news and events here, although I know some do get some grief for double posting. VATSIM also has made separate forums for posting of events and VA news and if everyone posts their news and events in their home forum then there quickly becomes little value in having those other forums, with the afforementioned loss of international viewing.

Kyle Ramsey

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted
As the VATUSA Director of Communications I see this forum as a place for VATUSA to post news and information of interest to its controllers and pilots

A flyin to my airspace isnt something that might interest me?

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Brandon,

Can you point out where in my post that I suggested a fly in to your airspace might not be of interest to you? Can you point to where I said that a post of a fly in in your airspace wasn't permitted in this forum?

Or have I missed some point you are trying to make altogether?

Kyle Ramsey

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Hello gents,

as I am the moderator for the general events board, please let me quickly explain the general policy over there. Only single, unique events are made sticky, while weekly recurring event are not. The reason is simple: There about 50 weekly online-days and events, and making them all sticky would quickly render the events board completely unreadable. Single events are made sticky when they are posted, and set to normal again as soon as they are over.

I know that the handling of weekly events isn´t ideal, but in absence of a centralized managable event informaation and propagation system we have no other choice.

Thanks for your attention.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

Thanks Martin.

-So then what makes an event "unique"? Example: I see that the Boston Tea Party on July 15th is a sticky, yet the ZOB All-Stars to shine at Pittsburgh on 7/9/06 is not and is in danger of being burried?

-Are VA events not allowed to be posted here?

-Why are ARTCC events able to post in 3 seperate forums, but VA's only 1?

Thanks for your feedback and have a great 4th!

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

I am not aware of any rule or guideline that prohibits individual VA's from posting news and events here, although I know some do get some grief for double posting. VATSIM also has made separate forums for posting of events and VA news and if everyone posts their news and events in their home forum then there quickly becomes little value in having those other forums, with the afforementioned loss of international viewing.

So why are some event posts arbitrarily moved while others are stickied here?

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Hiya Chad!

-So then what makes an event "unique"? Example: I see that the Boston Tea Party on July 15th is a sticky, yet the ZOB All-Stars to shine at Pittsburgh on 7/9/06 is not and is in danger of being burried?

That was a simple mistake by me, and has been corrected right after I posted the above message. My apologies.

-Are VA events not allowed to be posted here?

They are, but under the same policy scope than ARTCC events. I.e.: A weekly groupflight: No, a 5 years celebration event: Yes.

-Why are ARTCC events able to post in 3 seperate forums, but VA's only 1?

I can´t tell, I´m not responsible for this. All I do is to keep an eye on the events board, make postings sticky, correct some headlines to make them better identifyable, and to make postings unsticky when the event is over.

Thanks for your feedback and have a great 4th!

Well, that would be October 3rd over here (German reunification day ).

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

So no official response from VATUSA I see. I guess we'll keep taking our chances.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted
So no official response from VATUSA I see. I guess we'll keep taking our chances.

Dont expect one either...they are famous for that

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Was there a question in that, or just pot shots? I took your 'questions' as retorical. Clarify what question you are asking, maturely and responsibly, and I'll answer it. I thought Martin covered most of what you asked pretty well and I covered the rest of it in my response. I'm hoping this will be a genuine conversation designed to increase understanding and not a 'let's see how much muck we can stir up just for fun' exercise. Some of you are famous for that

Kyle Ramsey

James Brickell 852953
Posted
Posted

Here here, Kyle! Legitimate concerns don't give you a legitimate excuse to stir up nonsense.

Chad Black
Posted
Posted
Was there a question in that, or just pot shots? I took your 'questions' as retorical. Clarify what question you are asking, maturely and responsibly, and I'll answer it. I thought Martin covered most of what you asked pretty well and I covered the rest of it in my response. I'm hoping this will be a genuine conversation designed to increase understanding and not a 'let's see how much muck we can stir up just for fun' exercise. Some of you are famous for that

ummm... and you call that post mature and responsible?

Your answers did not cover the questions I asked... It sounded more like a beating around the bush answer too me. Martin's answers were dead on and what I was looking for (Thanks Martin) I wish more of you guys would answer like that instead of not replying at all, or leaving us with 3 paragraphs of mumbo jumbo. However, it shouldn't have been necessarily left to him to answer... and by the looks of it, had he not answered -you would have kept us in the dark.