You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Why are...

Lance Williams

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Yes, I do think it's a mature and responsible post.

Thanks for asking the question, though.

Kyle Ramsey

Richard Green 810012
Posted
Posted

Well as I don't decide what is posted here, what is sticky-ed here or anything else on these forums, you can see why there is no official answer from me.

Personally I think every event should be stickied and then deleted after it p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es so that we dont have 200 sticky events at the top of the page. But as far as I am concerned any VATUSA event should be posted on this forum or NO events at all...

ARTCC way:

AVA is flying out of ZDV tommorrow at 3 and we will be well staffed.... thats great, it tells pilots that they will have known ATC staffing at DEN.

VA way:

AvA is flying DEN - LAX (just picking AvA out of the air)

Now here is the problem with the VA way... Joe Shmo says... So what??? I am not in AvA. Now if AvA stuck " others are welcome to join in for this group flight." then I think either way is good.

Richard Green

VATSIM Supervisor

SB Testing & Support Team

VRC Testing & Support Team

Chad Black
Posted
Posted
Well as I don't decide what is posted here, what is sticky-ed here or anything else on these forums, you can see why there is no official answer from me.

What is it that you do then? I've always wondered what the VA director / events director does for VATSIM? Are you a part of the Special Ops?

Joshua Ridderhoff 873800
Posted
Posted

What is it that you do then? I've always wondered what the VA director / events director does for VATSIM? Are you a part of the Special Ops?

Chad,

Richard is the VATUSA VA & Events Director, NOT the VATSIM VA & Events Director. The Events forum contained herein is a VATSIM Events Forum, therefore VATUSA management have no jurisdiction there.

You're just barking up the wrong tree. Hope that clears up your confusion.

Personally I think every event should be stickied and then deleted after it p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es so that we dont have 200 sticky events at the top of the page. But as far as I am concerned any VATUSA event should be posted on this forum or NO events at all...

Couldn't agree more, Richard.

/s/ Josh Ridderhoff

ZLC Senior Controller

Fly ZLC! | ZLC Pilot & Controller Forums

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

Richard is the VATUSA VA & Events Director, NOT the VATSIM VA & Events Director. The Events forum contained herein is a VATSIM Events Forum, therefore VATUSA management have no jurisdiction there.

You're just barking up the wrong tree.

Josh, I'm not talking about the VATSIM events forum, I'm talking about the VATUSA forum and the events posted herein. So in my opinion, thats Richards juristiction. I still would like know what his job is... I have been high ranking staff at 3 major VA's over the past 4 years, and never had a run in with him.

Barking up the wrong tree? No barking here, just asking a question.. which lately is a sin it seems.

Joshua Ridderhoff 873800
Posted
Posted
Josh, I'm not talking about the VATSIM events forum, I'm talking about the VATUSA forum and the events posted herein. So in my opinion, thats Richards juristiction. I still would like know what his job is... I have been high ranking staff at 3 major VA's over the past 4 years, and never had a run in with him.

Chad,

Maybe I'm a little confused then. The only "Events" forum that I know of is the "Fly In Notices" forum on these very same boards, available at http://forums.vatsim.net/viewforum.php?f=17

If you're not talking about that forum (which is, of course, a VATSIM-wide forum, not at all specific to VATUSA) my apologies -- I read "events" and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed you were talking about an "events-specific" forum, but I think I see what you're talking about now.

/s/ Josh Ridderhoff

ZLC Senior Controller

Fly ZLC! | ZLC Pilot & Controller Forums

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
over the past 4 years, and never had a run in with him.

Seeing as Richard Green only stepped up at the beginning of this year I would think that would explain it. Check this thread if you need clarification.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

Richard Green has been an excellent and dedicated Events Manager for VATUSA. He monitors the VATUSA Events Calendar and and helps to coordinate events with ARTCCs and VATUSA TMU. He also keeps track of the Events Coordinators from each ARTCC. He does not specifically deal with the advertising of an event, he deals with the coordination and timing of the events held by ARTCCs.

He does not specifically deal with VA events, either, as they do not, generally, require VATUSA's approval or sanction. Generally when VA's have events, they go to the ARTCCs they wish to fly to request ATC.

This is separate from when ARTCCs go and post on the VATUSA News. News submitted (that is posted down the center column on VATUSA's webpage) goes through Kyle Ramsey and/or Jeff Turner (I think). This is also separate from making advertisement posts in this forum.

Seeing the Events Coordinators forum, Richard and Ethan, and the other ARTCC events coordinators have a lot to work with.

So in short, the advertising of an event is left solely to ARTCC Events Coordinators/VA Event Managers, without screening by Richard, who does not have a moderator status on this board anyways. The people who monitor how and when news and advertisements are posted are Kyle and Jeff.

Steve O.

Steve Ogrodowski

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

I am responsible for the news postings to the VATUSA web site and to this forum. I get my info most of the time from news postings on the VATUSA page put there by ARTCC and VATUSA Events people. Sometimes it comes to me from an email from a VATUSA staff member. I paste the same info I get from the posting on the VATUSA news engine into the VATSIM Forum VATUSA area (here). Sometimes I have to write original copy, depends on how I got the info. Most news gets stickied by either myself or Jeff for a short period to make sure folks see it. Some news, such as job postings, have a terminal date at which the sticky is removed.

If the posting is a VATUSA and/or ARTCC event, I post that to Martin's VATSIM forum site. Martin does the sticky duties there.

Others post VATUSA ARTCC events to this forum and either Jeff or myself will sticky them until the event has p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed. We do not sticky VA events although there is nothing that prevents a VA from posting them here even though there is both an events forum and a VA forum for that purpose.

VA postings to the VATUSA news engine get posted there by me as long as they meet the criteria, which is pretty much keep the graphic within the size limits. ARTCC events have to meet the same criteria. I do not post VA events anywhere else myself.

Kyle Ramsey

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
Was there a question in that, or just pot shots? I took your 'questions' as retorical. Clarify what question you are asking, maturely and responsibly, and I'll answer it. I thought Martin covered most of what you asked pretty well and I covered the rest of it in my response. I'm hoping this will be a genuine conversation designed to increase understanding and not a 'let's see how much muck we can stir up just for fun' exercise. Some of you are famous for that

OK, as I'm not trying to stir things up, why are some VA posted events moved to the Event forum while others are allowed to remain here?

Martin did not answer my question.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

I have never moved a VA event post, so I can't tell you that. I have personally never witnessed a move of a VA post either by myself nor anyone else.

Can you provide any examples?

Kyle Ramsey

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Sure, but I see the actual tagged "Moved" posts have been removed, but the most recent was Chad's post regarding their VA Grand Opening. I've had VCAIR events moved as well.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

I agree with most of the posters in this thread that the "Fly-In" forum looks so cluttered, I personally rarely visit it. Perhaps if new "Fly-In" forums were established by continent, i.e. North America, Europe, Asia maybe pilots would be more interested in visiting, as the advertising would be more organized.

My $0.02

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

In VATUSA we have a very nice calendar that our Events guys maintain. They work very hard to keep it accurate.

I see what you're driving at, but I don't think multiple postings in lots of places is the answer either as it shoves us off the other side of the cliff. How do we 'train' everyone to use the most effective source of information for all fly ins? What is the most effective and reliable source of information currently? What should it be? In some ways posting that info to these forums swamps the forums and makes them less effective at what they were designed to do, so an off forum solution strikes me as the most effective answer. Next best might be fly in forums by region as suggested.

Kyle Ramsey

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Kyle,

I agree 100% with you on the VATUSA events calendar, as it's very easy to see what events are scheduled and to be able to "click" the individual event for the details, very well done.

However as this is a "read only" calendar users are unable to post their comments or questions for the events, and again if you were to combine the "world" events, this too could get cluttered very easily leading to the "too much info" syndrome, reducing the effectiveness of such a calendar.

As my own devils advocate, I would agree that whats to stop someone from posting an event 6 months from now, having so many stickies, were back in the same boat!

I like the calander concept alot, maybe a calendar with a combo box that allows the user to select a region, and enhance the details window (when clicking on the event) to allow the user to jump to a "forum topic" about that event to post comments, etc.

Hope that makes some kind of sense!!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

I like the "fly-in" forum by region ID, or just allow people to post here for USA events. Other option is a more organized central event forum, but I like the regional event forums instead of that. The calendar is nice, but there is still something about posting it in a forum where people can provide feedback that I prefer over a calendar.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg