You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question about the CoC changes re; name

Tim Simpson

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

I get the concerns about the dehumanizing of the network by allowing only CID’s for connection. There was quite a bit of debate at the BoG level as far as whether or not to allow this. Many of the same concerns you have all voiced were brought up during these discussions. Ultimately we voted in favor of allowing our members to have options.

That’s all CID only is, an option. It’s one that we hope that the majority of our fellow members will not choose to use but it is there for our members who are concerned that having their real name required for use on the network is a privacy risk.

Many users have indicated that they stopped using VATSIM for that very reason and now that the requirement no longer exists we have seen them come back online using either a shortened name or CID only.

I believe and hope that a supermajority of our members will continue to use their names online as they believe in the social aspect of our network. While I expect we will see CID only usage increase as more people become aware of it, I think that those members using that option will remain a small percentage of total users who still choose to use their name.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"