You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Audio for VATSIM launch announced

Gunnar Lindahl

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

I will change when there is good reason to do so, preferably reasons based on facts rather than uninformed myths and false narratives.

Bill. Here is a good reason based on fact and not false narrative. FSINN and Squawkbox will be decommissioned within 6 months.

There does not have to be a technical reason. VATSIM can choose what clients it wants to support and it could simply choose to not support them right now on the basis that it doesn’t like them. While we never would make such a move for that reason, that’s as simple as the reasoning has to be.

There are significant technical reasons outside AFV that require that these clients be retired sooner rather than later unless the clients are miraculously supported by their devs again. I highly doubt that’s going to happen though. Consider this your 6 month or less notice for retirement of the legacy clients. We will provide plenty of notice once we have the actual date.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nestor Perez

• Matthew Bartels

• Tom Dowd

• Tommi Karkkainen 1322309

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nestor Perez

Nestor Perez 10 posts

• Matthew Bartels

Matthew Bartels 4 posts

• Tom Dowd

Tom Dowd 3 posts

• Tommi Karkkainen 1322309

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309 3 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 1 2019

10 posts

• Oct 12 2019

8 posts

• Oct 17 2019

8 posts

• Oct 14 2019

6 posts

Maxim Gerasimov 1190185
Posted
Posted

Audio For VATSIM isn't starting... I have CTD.

Имя события проблемы: APPCRASH

Имя приложения: AudioForVATSIM.exe

Версия приложения: 1.6.2.0

Отметка времени приложения: 5d802019

Имя модуля с ошибкой: KERNELBASE.dll

Версия модуля с ошибкой: 6.1.7601.17514

Отметка времени модуля с ошибкой: 4ce7b8f0

Код исключения: e0434352

Смещение исключения: 0000b760

Версия ОС: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.2

Код языка: 1049

Roberto Negron 852648
Posted
Posted

Disappointing for us MAC users. Today I downloaded the so called "stand alone client" for xsquawkbox and guess what....I need fracking Parallels to even open it up after download. I figured that you would consider the whole community as you go forward with this but NO....As always MAC users are being discriminated against. It just shows lack of vision, commitment, and just plain laziness. This was supposedly years in the planning. In that timeframe.... Nobody thought about soliciting volunteers, hiring (for lack of a better term at this time)a MAC expert that could possibly help with coding, integration so that all of us could enjoy VATSIM? I will tell you this. If you don't start getting with the times, Pilot Edge will displace you as a network, at least in the US. Now ....after this rant if someone has a workaround for this let me know. You have to forgive me but since the initial email almost 2 weeks ago I was so looking forward to this and BOOM; felt like a door shut right in your face.

7009.png

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted
Disappointing for us MAC users. Today I downloaded the so called "stand alone client" for xsquawkbox and guess what....I need fracking Parallels to even open it up after download. I figured that you would consider the whole community as you go forward with this but NO....As always MAC users are being discriminated against. It just shows lack of vision, commitment, and just plain laziness. This was supposedly years in the planning. In that timeframe.... Nobody thought about soliciting volunteers, hiring (for lack of a better term at this time)a MAC expert that could possibly help with coding, integration so that all of us could enjoy VATSIM? I will tell you this. If you don't start getting with the times, Pilot Edge will displace you as a network, at least in the US. Now ....after this rant if someone has a workaround for this let me know. You have to forgive me but since the initial email almost 2 weeks ago I was so looking forward to this and BOOM; felt like a door shut right in your face.

Pretty much the same here. Got the email, got super excited. Read the docomeentation available, loved it. I didn't love the fact that I'd need a separate AFV client until Swift releases their upgrade, but decided I want to try it anyway. And then it turns out to be a frigging .msi file. "Door shut right in front of you" really captures the feeling. A huge disappointment. Maybe I could somewhat (not completely) understand the reasoning behind not supporting Macs (and Linux, obviously), but even then, this should definitely have been communicated better.

And yes, AFV site says "However success with MacOS under WINE has been reported." Having to toy with 3rd party software just so I can run this little program that is intended to work as a temporary solution together with two other programs (the simulator and the pilot client)? Give me a break.

Until Swift update is released, are we even going to be able to fly text only?

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

Swift already has released an alpha with AFV support: https://dev.swift-project.org/phame/post/view/17/swift_and_afv/

If you don't like the WINE solution that will be your best bet for now.

My understanding is that flying text only (using xSquawkbox and no AFV client) is absolutely possible (though certainly not desirable )

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted
Swift already has released an alpha with AFV support: https://dev.swift-project.org/phame/post/view/17/swift_and_afv/

That's very nice! Although I don't think it's desirable that all Mac and Linux pilots apply for development/testing access to VATSIM, as is needed to use the Alpha version. Especially, if the reason for the request is to get a one-time ok for a specific version. But this does give hope that an approved beta will be out soon.

My understanding is that flying text only (using xSquawkbox and no AFV client) is absolutely possible (though certainly not desirable )

I can imagine it's not desirable. But if it's all that works...

(Shouldn't text-only with Swift work all the same as xSquawkbox without AFV?)

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted

I didn't realize that this actually is a public alpha. There was some outdated information on the Swift site regarding what alpha versions are and who gets to use them on the network. That's where my confusion came from.

Anyway, I'm happy, at least for now. Fingers crossed that there aren't too many bugs

Matthew Purves 1202432
Posted
Posted

+1!! I have been using Vatsim with voice successfully on my Mac with xsquawkbox and X-plane for years and now - "It's just for Windows". A m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive smack in the mouth. I am bitterly disappointed and angry.

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

+1!! I have been using Vatsim with voice successfully on my Mac with xsquawkbox and X-plane for years and now - "It's just for Windows". A m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive smack in the mouth. I am bitterly disappointed and angry.

Relax... You've not been forgotten about. Full xplane support on all non windows operating systems is coming rapidly. Those devs are working extremely hard and we could even have functionality for both before we even come back online Monday

Roberto Negron 852648
Posted
Posted

Swift Alfa is a No Go for MAC users. Typical.

7009.png

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

If you take a look at the Swift Discord you will see that the swift team are actively trying to resolve the small bug preventing Mac users from running the beta.

Thanks again to Roland and the team for the epic work with a cross platform implementation of the AFV client. He has been an absolute hero in keeping up with all our changes and not complaining.

Hopefully come Monday morning all our cross platform friends will be happy.

Cheers

Gary

AFV Lead

Nikola Jovanovic 951874
Posted
Posted
How will frequencies like 122.8 121.5 and 123.45 be moderated? Im curious considering the new codec wont have rooms like melp does.

You should listen 123,45 irl. People fart, burp, meow... it's unbearable to listen. 121,5 as well.

Chris Knipe 920540
Posted
Posted
I would implore those who are still on FSINN or Squawkbox to start learning swift now if you are not planning to change from FS9. Regardless of how you feel about swift, that will be your only option to continue to use FS9 very soon.

Swift, is bloatware - full of nonsense that is not needed. It's trying to do a little bit of everything, instead of doing one thing good. Say what you want. Sorry, but I've used Swift, I hated it, I will never use it - unless the entire GUI -drastically- changes.

If VATSIM is for one second thinking to "force" swift down everyone's throat then I'm sorry. Bye bye VATSIM.

My 2c. Use it, don't use it. Keep your flames for yourself, as I really don't care.

--

Chris.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Well, that's a good attitude, isn't it? It's not that VATSIM's forcing it down your throat, but rather that it's your only option currently available. If you want to make a new pilot client to support it, I'm sure Zach is anxiously awaiting a message in his inbox

Me.

Chris Knipe 920540
Posted
Posted
Well, that's a good attitude, isn't it? It's not that VATSIM's forcing it down your throat, but rather that it's your only option currently available. If you want to make a new pilot client to support it, I'm sure Zach is anxiously awaiting a message in his inbox

So I guess vPilot's also not being maintained? Even though they pushed how many updates and new versions over the last few months? I think at least 4, or 5 if memory serves me correctly? I will rather fly on IVAO, than use Swift.

It's been discussed time, and time again in the past. There's HUNDREDS of ways, in which you can get devs interested to develop software to be used on VATSIM. It's VATSIM that chooses to be restrictive, not the devs. I personally, tried numerous times in the past (just like many others), and quite frankly, I got tired of trying to just get basic information...

Open your docomeentation and APIs up, see what happens... If you dare.

Oh, and congrats on AFV - looking forward to it tonight when I get home from work.

--

Chris.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

What does vPilot have to do in this conversation?

Swift is the only option that will be available for FS9 users, and I very much doubt any developer would want to use their time with such an outdated sim anyway.

Time doesn't stop ticking: individuals can stay behind if they want, but the rest of the network won't do the same unfortunately...

That's all there is to it.

Me.

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

It's been discussed time, and time again in the past. There's HUNDREDS of ways, in which you can get devs interested to develop software to be used on VATSIM. It's VATSIM that chooses to be restrictive, not the devs. I personally, tried numerous times in the past (just like many others), and quite frankly, I got tired of trying to just get basic information...

Chris,

How do you think Audio for VATSIM has been developed? hint: it's by devs.

When did you last attempt this? A lot has changed in 2 years. If you can get involved in building a client for Mac that meets your requirements, please get in touch with the team ASAP.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Robert Higgins
Posted
Posted (edited)

emptied

Edited by Robert Higgins

Alex Findlay 1463853
Posted
Posted

Where is the download?????? I see a lot of discusison about it but ca't find the actual new software..Maybe put a ink to it in the announcements?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
Where is the download?????? I see a lot of discusison about it but ca't find the actual new software..Maybe put a ink to it in the announcements?

Check this very thread's first post

https://imgur.com/khgrpxb

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Alex Findlay 1463853
Posted
Posted

Thanks , yes, I've just found it. It's the two slightly different coloured words right at the beginning of the post announcing the launch. Perhaps it might be helpful to highlight the fact that this is the download link?

Looking forward to trying it.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Andries Gouws
Posted
Posted

Hi just want to know which one to use.... Ive got a Imac.....and it said that the they still have to update it for Xplane 11for Imac......

Lucas Milagre 1346063
Posted
Posted

ACaW0iz.jpg

error connecting to voice server: connect failed (forbidden - )

Help me please! It´s been 48hrs. My ID: 1346063