You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

It's hard to control....

Dean Hoover 917799

Nick Comber 959257
Posted
Posted

I have no problem with the servers not being reliable. It's a free organisation so one doesn't exactly hold any rights to complain when servers fail.

What I don't understand is why huge flyins are being organised, knowing the servers can't handle such an event. Friday Night Ops turned was pretty much a washout last night after the server problems.

signature_nick_comber.jpg

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Funny - I've been reading a lot of posts lately about server problems from both sides of the scopes.

Having not logged on in quite a while, I decided to go for a flight last night. I was probably connected for over 3 hours and had no problems what so ever.

I was connected to USA-W. Lucky perhaps?

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Timothy Boger 942264
Posted
Posted
Funny - I've been reading a lot of posts lately about server problems from both sides of the scopes.

Having not logged on in quite a while, I decided to go for a flight last night. I was probably connected for over 3 hours and had no problems what so ever.

Perhaps. I was on SE and I kept getting thrown off. I think S3 and SE are in cahoots with each other.

Timothy Boger

ZMP ATM!

Craig Merriman 834118
Posted
Posted

I was on the SE Server first, then hopped onto the W server. I was disconncted twice on SE, once on W within in about 5 minutes. I saw pilots disappearing off the scopes before that. I gave up and watched some TV. No big deal, just one of them nights.

Craig Merriman

VATSIM North America Region RCRP Member

Flagman - NEMA - NorthEastern Midget [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociation

The Winged Warriors!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

For what it's worth, I can say that the servers are being looked at as we speak. The developers are trying to identify the cause of the disconnects. They aren't just sitting on their hands doing nothing. Have a little faith, and a LOT of patience.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we appreciate the hard work and time you and the others put in.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

Same here. I haven't controlled too much recently, either...just a few times in the past month. However, each time I spent roughly three or three and a half hours connected to USA-SE, undisturbed. These were during peak hours (roughly between 2300 and 0330z). The only time I've ever had a problem or two were during fly-ins past.

Steve Ogrodowski

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted

Same here. I haven't controlled too much recently, either...just a few times in the past month. However, each time I spent roughly three or three and a half hours connected to USA-SE, undisturbed. These were during peak hours (roughly between 2300 and 0330z). The only time I've ever had a problem or two were during fly-ins past.

Ive been controlling and flying a bit and have had NO problems either....maybe once or twice.....i guess all these people should just ask for their money back

Chris Gauthier 895085
Posted
Posted

I would like to echo Josh's comments. I am a Network Administrator by trade and by employment. I've earned my CCNA certification and know a thing or two about network issues. I undertand that a request for help was made, but that was (iirc) for programmers, not network technicians. I would gladly volunteer my services if I felt they were wanted.

While I understand that the cause is not known and people ARE working on solving the problem(s), it IS disheartening to see users who want to help or even inquire about the problem to be (in my opinion) shut down and told "we know and we are working on it, don't bug us". Intended or not, that is the message *I* receive. Part of this (again, intended or not) is related to the majority of developers saying "It'll be done when it's done. Don't ask." That's an issue in itself (that I don't want to hijack htis thread with), but it does feel like that attitude carries over often into other areas.

Now, I will admit there are many people out there who are not in a technical field and, because of this, less likely to understand delays. Many people also are not very diplomatic/tactful (I fall into that category very quickly if I'm not careful).

So, Yes, I'm frustrated because the network does not seem to handle the load we put on it. Thus, I am officially volunteering my services as a CCNA and Network Technician/Administrator with server, programming, and web experience as well. I'm happy to email my resume to any of the VATSIM officials. My email is available in the database. I want to be part of the solution and not "just another person compaining."

I'm not intending to blast anyone, just point out perceptions. VATSIM is a very good network and has been since Harv Stein helped me on my very first connections to VATSIM using ASRC. I *try* to remember then when I have new pilots. I try to keep that attitude when I control any pilot. This is supposed to be fun and VATSIM is, generally speaking, fun!

Kind Regards,

Chris Gauthier, CCNA

$mypvtrw() $radio()

{Name/Rank Not Allowed...See ServInfo and try not to crash}

{METAR Not allowed...Crash while checking Servinfo}

{No Other Info available...Excuse: No Bandwidth}