You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unicom

nebojsa milosavljevic

Rafal Szul
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I am somewhat new to Vatsim and I will hijack this topic to understand one thing regarding 122.8 unicom and VFR flights.

In real life when I fly say, out of EPBC (uncontrolled but ATC-manned airclub airport) in Poland I will first tune to 119.180 BABICE INFORMATION freq, then after departure I will check in on information service frequency - be it either Olsztyn information 118.775 or Warsaw Information 128.575.  

In Xplane / VATSIM am I in good understanding that I should just remain on 122.8 the whole time until I reach some controlled space? How would I know the controller is present?

Cheers,

Rafal.

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Hi Rafal,

Welcome to Vatsim.  Your voice / pilot client will show a list of active controllers within range.  They are grouped Centre, Approach, Tower etc.  so you would contact whom evers airspace you are in.   You can also use something like VatSpy which displays online controllers graphically.   Hope that helps.

Andrew  

• Like 1

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted
On 5/7/2020 at 11:13 AM, Rafal Szul said:

In Xplane / VATSIM am I in good understanding that I should just remain on 122.8 the whole time until I reach some controlled space? How would I know the controller is present?

Correct, there is work being done to implement real life CTAF frequencies like it is being done in real life, but there is no deadline on this yet.

If you approach controlled airspace, you will often receive a so-called "contact me message", which includes the controller's callsign and frequency to contact. 🙂

• Like 1

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

• 5 months later...
Florian Hofer
Posted
Posted

I use both forms. Depends on state of flight and traffic upcome.

I have always VATspy open so I know if I am alone or not. If not: I do not one broadcast.

If there is other traffic, I do reports which could be usefull for the other aircraft (i don't report push back if there is only one aircraft decending on the Star, but still far away). For ground movements, i use voice. As soon, as I get to the runway, it depends already.

If there is traffic which is flying opposite and to be expected to cross my flught path, or even land on the runway at the time I'd like to take-off I announce my intentions on voice. (If the aircraft is already close to the airport)

After that and until established on the ILS for landing, I only use text due to range. (30NM is not far in terms of flying, especially if you are flying directly oposite.)

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
Robert Vanderkam
Posted
Posted

I am new to VATSIM and was flying on Unicomm at FL330 in uncontrolled airspace and intending to land at an airport in airspace that was controlled. I just tuned the controller before I entered his airspace (using SimAware to see their airspace) but after I saw him on my vPilot ATC within-range list, and said, I'm not there yet, but here I come, and can I get my IFR clearance at your leisure please. He didn't mind.

Rob Vanderkam

Canadian Virtual Airlines (CVA) - in operation since 1997

955.png

• Gunnar Lindahl unpinned this topic