You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Is vPilot Observer Mode also count as multiple connection?

Gabriel Ryu

Gabriel Ryu
Posted
Posted

Hello to VATSIM

I was thinking to make a towerview with VRC and vPilot.

As a Ground Controller, it would be awesome to have a tower view feature to spot the aircraft visually at exact position.

While Euroscope allows Local Proxy, however, I found that the model data of aircrafts are missing through proxy server.

I tried to find any way to use towerview, and finally found that the vPilot has a feature called Observer Mode.

I see that multiple VATSIM Connection through one computer is prohibited by Code of Regulation.

therefore, I was curious if the observer mode on vPilot counts into multiple instance.

Please let me know

Thanks

Gabriel

Gabriel

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

I too agree with Gabriel, tower view in my opinion is a must capability.

Since the release of the new pilot clients the aircraft data is all messed up using the euroscope proxy server, some don't show their landing gear and some don't even show up full stop.

I think an exception should be made for controllers wanting to use the observer mode in the pilot clients so they can utilize a towerview.

I know the whole 'resources' argument is going to come up but we've multiple aircraft at anyone time flying long haul in uncontrolled airspace who are using resources without even interacting with anyone.

The number of controllers using this at anyone time also will be negligible to be honest.

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

Yes observer mode would count as an additional connection.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

If you use vSTARS it allows you to create a local connection to your sim so you can have a tower view.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Deon Mathews
Posted
Posted

I know the whole 'resources' argument is going to come up but we've multiple aircraft at anyone time flying long haul in uncontrolled airspace who are using resources without even interacting with anyone.

The whole 'resources' argument is one I propose be re-evaluated!? With the advances in internet technology and connectivity etc. it should almost be a non issue!?

Deon Mathews

VATSIM Marketing & Communications Team

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted
If you use vSTARS it allows you to create a local connection to your sim so you can have a tower view.

The issue is with the model data, not the ability to be able to have a tower view using a proxy.

Take Euroscope for example, does the aircraft data issue lie with Euroscope solely? or vpilot which is used for the .towerview command? or is it the client the pilot is using(xpilot, SWIFT, xSB, FSINN..etc)?.

Each developer will have to firstly care about the issue, then diagnose and action it. Will that happen?, doubt it.

Lots of aircraft look like tie fighters lately floating around with no gear. I actually asked an aircraft to confirm his gear was down before realizing it's a data issue recently.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted
Each developer will have to firstly care about the issue, then diagnose and action it. Will that happen?, doubt it.

Wow, developers, can you feel the love?

Just know that most of us believe in and love you all -- and know that everyone involved in our hobby owe you a tremendous debt of gratitude.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Gabriel Ryu
Posted
Posted

I tried to use the vSTARS if possible. However, other than US ARTCCs, it looks pretty complex to get it integrated into, nor my facility engineer doesn't even think about to get that work since it is mainly targeted and settings are for FAA facility. Only two option that I can choose are VRC and Euroscope. so vSTARS is not a suitable option for those not in the States.

Gabriel

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

Wow, developers, can you feel the love?

Just know that most of us believe in and love you all -- and know that everyone involved in our hobby owe you a tremendous debt of gratitude.

Sorry Don,

My choice of words was harsh,

I meant that with all the parties involved it could take only one to be not interested in the issue because in the grand scheme of things it's a small issue effecting a small number

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Thanks

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Gents. You can run vpilot off of a proxy server to run a tower view. I’m not sure how it works with euroscope but with vSTARS you type .startproxy Then in vpilot you type .towerview . By doing this you maintain just one connection to the network so it is allowed per the CoC

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Cedric Mohler
Posted
Posted

The proxy is running in Euroscope anyways, if not you can do that in the connect dialogue.

spacer.png