You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XPlane - Open Letter to VATSIM

Greg Barber

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted

We are discussing the statement made here (on the previous page):

Again, can you point me to these multiple complaints.

Greg, they have been made primarily within all of the various TeamSpeak servers and other modes of internal ATC communications for each of the hundreds of individual virtual ARTCCs and FIRs. Just because you did not see them here on the forums doesn't means they haven't existed.

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andreas Fuchs

• Alexander Cohrs

• Greg Barber

• Nestor Perez

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 8 posts

• Alexander Cohrs

Alexander Cohrs 7 posts

• Greg Barber

Greg Barber 7 posts

• Nestor Perez

Nestor Perez 5 posts

Popular Days

• Jan 7 2020

12 posts

• Jan 9 2020

11 posts

• Jan 8 2020

9 posts

• Jan 15 2020

7 posts

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't see anyone saying that ONLY the number complaints is considered, as you [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ert.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

There have been countless complaints and meltdowns of controllers. I have witnessed them on VATSIM Germany's Teamspeak multiple times and I have also had slow-motion pilots destroy my sequence/separation planning on more than one occasion.

I think we can move away from why those restrictions have been imposed. It's now important that Christopher and Justin keep monitoring the performance of the implemented "frame rate monitoring code" and make adjustments if we keep on having members who get disconnected for momentary drops below 20fps. These pilots do not interfere with our controlling, they should not get disconnected.

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted

Agree with that. Apparently, there are users reporting that they are being disconnected with fps > 20 or drops shorter than 30 seconds, and so far it looks like they did not receive much attention or help. Let‘s concentrate on helping them first.

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

• Board of Governors
Matthew Cianfarani
Posted
Posted
Agree with that. Apparently, there are users reporting that they are being disconnected with fps > 20 or drops shorter than 30 seconds, and so far it looks like they did not receive much attention or help. Let‘s concentrate on helping them first.

This is not true

I just a few minutes ago responded to a user who sent us his Data log showing him Exactly where the problem is.

I am posting what we have mentioned on Social Media below. If you feel that you are Legitimately being disconnected when frames are not below 20 - Follow the below steps.

If you feel you are being continuously disconnected by the time dilation detection even though your frame rate never goes below 20 frames per second, please follow the following steps to submit a log to the developers so we can see where the issue might lie and fix the issue.

Load a flight

Go to the X-Plane settings and find the "Data Output" tab

Check the "Disk (data.txt File)" option for Frame rate

Perform a flight and take note of the number of times that you received a warning and were forcibly disconnected

Email the full data.txt log file to [email protected]

It is only through this data where we can identify where the potential problems are and fix them so that it is truly only those in time dilation that are disconnected.

Matthew Cianfarani
Vice President , Technology 
VATSIM Board of Governors

• Board of Governors
Matthew Cianfarani
Posted
Posted
To me "the rest of the team" is senior members of VATSIM who don't necessarily have to be in a staff position, but have way more experience in VATSIM than quite a few of the current BOG members.

I am happy to compare CV's as well as project-level experience of the current members of our technical team (Including current GOV's) should you wish

Many of us could be making a whole lot than we current are if we didn't spend our time writing code or administering systems for VATSIM for a salary of $0

Matthew Cianfarani
Vice President , Technology 
VATSIM Board of Governors

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Matt,

you quoted me only partially which makes it look stupid, let me quote myself with the required context:

then VATSIM's management team needs to talk to the rest of the team before releasing ground-breaking updates like these and not take lonely decisions with half-ready software. To me "the rest of the team" is senior members of VATSIM who don't necessarily have to be in a staff position, but have way more experience in VATSIM than quite a few of the current BOG members. I am not talking about me specifically, in case that this question came up now. Senior members would have probably told you "yes, good idea to move VATSIM forward to the next level, but make 100% sure that the software actually does its job correctly". At least this would have been my answer and the answer of other "senior members" that I know.
In other words: any BoG member knows senior VATSIM members around the world who are still active and will happily help out with their opinions (aka advice) every now and then. Not everyone can volunteer for staff positions due to lack of time and other reasons. I have done my bit as lead staff for several years in Switzerland and Germany in the past.