You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Airshows on VATSIM (restrictions and rules)?

Joshua Jenkins

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Josh Jenk said:

So, Bill, how did you enforce rule A9? Just no observers allowed? Or did you allow people to watch given they were connected normally and had a valid flight plan filed?

If you don't mind I won't give the details of exactly how we achieved everything because the above mentioned self-appointed fun police will restart the stupid debates that I'd had enough of 13 years ago (and why the 2008 show never happened). Suffice to say read the letter of the law carefully and think laterally.

1 hour ago, Josh Jenk said:

As to the update interval of the pilot clients, isn’t that supposed to be drastically improved in the very near future?

That was easy because in 2005 FSInn had a "fast updates" peer-to-peer function where clients could update each other directly so formation flying was very achievable and very watchable. It worked an absolute treat and those who remember the "synchro DC3s" from the 2007 show will know just how brilliantly well it could be done. Whether Vatsim will catch up with that I don't know 😉

Bill Casey

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joshua Jenkins

• Andreas Fuchs

• Jim Rish

• Mats Edvin Aaro

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joshua Jenkins

Joshua Jenkins 22 posts

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 4 posts

• Jim Rish

Jim Rish 4 posts

• Mats Edvin Aaro

Mats Edvin Aaro 4 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 28 2020

12 posts

• Apr 24 2020

7 posts

• Dec 6 2020

5 posts

• May 1 2020

4 posts

Popular Posts

Callum McLoughlin

Can somebody provide a good reason why they're banned? As long as it is organised out of the way somewhere, who cares?

Bill Casey

I ran an airshow in 2005, 2006 and 2007 without breaching ANY Vatsim regs and that was Rule 1: We don't breach anything. It can be done and it was very successful but does take some doing. Prior to th

Joshua Jenkins

3 updates: 1. The event is now officially posted to my.vatsim.net/events. The show will start at 1800 zulu and run until 2100 zulu. 2. The CZVR FIR will hold a fly-in at 1700 zulu until the s

Posted Images

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted
On 4/24/2020 at 9:46 AM, Josh Jenk said:

But I don’t think showing off an aircraft’s capabilities goes against those rules.

I started reading this thread, thinkin' that I was gonna get to join in an air show. But after dredging through and wading through all this stuff here, I don't get the point of even bringing it up to begin with. Does this mean that I , once again, won't get a chance to literally fly circles around these people online ? 🙃

• Confused 1

rocksalot.png

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

If you didn't understand why it was brought up, why resurrect it after 7 months? 😛

I don't fully understand your question though..

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Well considering that the thread was resurrected I will give an update to anyone who was wondering and say that the idea is far from dead 😉.

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Josh Jenk said:

Well considering that the thread was resurrected I will give an update to anyone who was wondering and say that the idea is far from dead 😉.

11 hours ago, Mats Edvin Aaro said:

If you didn't understand why it was brought up, why resurrect it after 7 months? 😛

I don't fully understand your question though..

Apparently, J.J. does understand my question, since he just answered it. 🙃

rocksalot.png

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Josh Jenk said:

Would like to see it work. Never been in anything like that on VATSIM. Maybe I won't miss it again, if it does happen. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Jim Rish

rocksalot.png

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Can’t say I exactly understood the question either but glad I could (accidentally) answer it nonetheless.

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jim Rish said:

Never been in anything like that on VATSIM

Actually there has been. 

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Josh Jenk said:

Glad to hear it and the best of luck. It can become very time consuming but hugely rewarding. 

• Like 1

Bill Casey

• 1 month later...
Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Hello all (again),

Sorry to revive this thread but I figured it would probably be better to post an update here than starting a brand new thread. After working closely with Roger Curtiss from the BoG for the last 6 months or so, we have made fantastic progress to turn this idea into a reality. The plan right now is to hold the airshow on July 10th at CYXX. If anyone is interested, an official Discord server has been created where people can ask questions of both myself and our vSOA performers, get the latest updates surrounding the event, and get some hype going. Hope to see you there! https://discord.gg/BCCvX5PJHj

Cheers!

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Josh and Roger,

great that there has been progress and that indeed we are going to see an airshow at VATSIM! Make sure we get frequent updates so we won't overlook this event.

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Thanks Andreas! I’ll do my best to keep this thread updated with any major news but again the best and easiest way to get updates will be through the Discord server 🙂

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

• 1 month later...
Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

I'm proud to present the performers for the 2021 Abbotsford Virtual Airshow!

performerlist.png

AVA2021_Performers_List.pdf

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Mark Doyle
Posted
Posted

I've seen a few pilots putting on amateur airshows over London Gatwick recently

Developer: vatsim.net | community.vatsim.net | estvacc.org

vatsim tech logo

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I heard a real-world departure from KORL put on an unscheduled airshow in the Orlando Class Bravo recently.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 1 month later...
Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

3 updates:

1. The event is now officially posted to my.vatsim.net/events. The show will start at 1800 zulu and run until 2100 zulu.spacer.png

2. The CZVR FIR will hold a fly-in at 1700 zulu until the start of the show and then a fly-out after the show until 2200 zulu.

3. Running an airshow is no small task! We're looking to add a few more members to our crew to help with the media/production side of things. If you're interested you can apply here: https://forms.gle/dakVQPBXunm6d3mP6

• Like 2

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Carlos Barranco
Posted
Posted

I am genuinely surprised that airshows in VATSIM exist! I thought they were only allowed at FSX Default Multiplayer...

Also, someone said around here that the traffic refresh rate in VATSIM is a couple of seconds... I just wanted to say that VATSIM Velocity was recently announced. I am not in the testing group, but I hope to see it almost ready, if not fully, at some point during summer. I do not know it for sure, as I've already said, I am not a tester. But it would be nice to have it released (at least in a public beta) before the airshow. That would enhance the experience of both taking part in the show and viewing it. Watch out for the landings, though!

Anyways, I hope that you enjoy the show!

Carlos B

CID: 1498253

spacer.png

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Hey Carlos! It’s definitely something that hasn’t been done in a while on VATSIM.

I’m really stoked about VATSIM Velocity too and hopefully it’s out by the time of the show. But if it isn’t, we plan to use SWIFT’s “fast updates” option which allows anyone connected to VATSIM through SWIFT to see the show with almost no latency instead of the current 5 second latency.

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Carlos Barranco
Posted
Posted

Well, I use vPilot as my VATSIM pilot client... but it is nice to know that aspect of Swift.

Carlos B

CID: 1498253

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted (edited)

10 days to go! The lineup includes 6 organizations, 10+ individual performances, and 3 hours of fun-filled action. We can't wait to see you all there. Expect the pilot/spectator briefing to be published sometime very soon over the next couple days.

An airshow isn't really an airshow without the static displays! Do you have an interesting aircraft you want to show off to the world? Space is limited, sign up here: https://forms.gle/XiFEEukDafZmLMWQ8

We're still looking for a couple of announcers to join our team. PM me, join the discord (https://discord.gg/BCCvX5PJHj), or fill out the following form to apply (https://forms.gle/dakVQPBXunm6d3mP6).

Again, join our discord at the link above to keep recent with all the updates as they come in. See you in the virtual skies soon!

Edited by Josh Jenk

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

How would static displays work? If you just connect with the aircraft, then all anyone else sees is whatever the model mapping spits out - and especially with highly unusual aircraft, that's most likely just going to be something generic. Or am I missing something here?

23.png

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Yes and no. Swift’s model matching (yeah for the best experience you’ll have to use SWIFT but that’s more for bypassing the network’s current latency) is pretty consistent so as long as you have the model or a similar model it should draw out the static display pretty accurately.

The issue of having the model is more a problem for xplane users as it seems like the current csl files aren’t too extensive. There’s tons of models for fsx and p3d so I don’t anticipate much of an issue there, especially if we publish recommended models to download (which is planned to go into the spectator briefing).

So yeah if people are flying in highly unusual aircraft (say experimental aircraft for example) then it may be a problem. But so far signups are pretty reasonable while at the same time being interesting  (747s, warbirds, etc.).

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Less than 24 hours to go! Here is the official schedule of operations for the day:

spacer.png

As a reminder, the announcements and music will be streamed in our discord server (I've linked it multiple times in the posts above) and to a youtube stream as well (this will be ONLY audio, not video)(https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXRLbufD85Bctim1ayWp3MA).

If you can't connect to VATSIM and watch it live there, a stream will be provided on Twitch with both the video and announcements (https://twitch.tv/abbotsfordvirtualairshow).

See you all at 18z tomorrow!

• Like 1

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted

Whatever happen to this airshow? On twitch all I see is a 30 second video that shows very little. Are there any intentions of releasing a full video of the show?