Network error: Client authentication response timeout

Glad to find this thread as I was worried I was the only one. I'm also in the UAE (Dubai) and have been getting consistently kicked by vpilot after 20-30 seconds.
If you keep trying, there might be the one time where it actually logs on and stays logged in (enough to also inject other players) but soon after, it kicks you out again.

Someone mentioned that this could be something to do with the ISP and the VOIP ban in the region so I decided to boot up the POSCON client and that had no problems staying online.

It could very well be the ISP (Etisalat, in my case too) that is messing around with the connection but it only seems to be affecting vpilot and VATSIM.

I can't use a system wide VPN as I don't have an active subscription to any of them. I use a browser based VPN to connect to Discord voice so my entire system isn't riddled with the horrible reduction in speeds and packet loss.

I should add that I was trying to fly in the UK the entire time. I haven't tried other regions yet. I've tried all the available servers, stable as well as beta branches of vpilot to no avail.
If there was a browser based version of the client, I could easily set it up with a VPN and use it there. Sadly, I don't think that facility exists.

2020-06-20 15_16_36-vPilot.png

Edited by Karan Khanna
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I managed to stay connected (on USA-East) for a flight from EPWA to EDDK. On landing i disconnected to check if i can reconnect and now its the same error on all the servers. Yet again for s

Thank you Andreas, have forwarded an email as suggested. Will post any response I have from the Team here..    

I If i try to connect while at OMDB(Dubai) its not working. I tried at different airports in USA and able to connect all the servers. Europe no luck

Posted Images

Hello,

I am in the UAE as well (Dubai, Etisalat is my provider) and from this 21:00 local time, I am unable to join VATSIM. Same issues. VPN is not an option (ExpressVPN website is blocked). Funny thing is that this afternoon, connection to VATSIM was fine.

Best!

I've been living in the Dubai for almost 6 months now and I have switched ISPs. Etisalat completely blocked everything even VATSIM, however once we moved over to a new place we changed ISPs to DU which had nothing blocked for some reason (This includes Discord and VoIP. It seems I can use them correctly). In cases where I'm not at home you'll need to get a VPN. I've started to hear that they somehow managed to start slowing down VPN connections. You can join the Middle East Discord server which has a lot of members living in the U.A.E. You can maybe possibly ask them for more info on how they do it from there side as it differs from area to area in Dubai. Link: https://discord.gg/Hvxm5Ky

CHRISS KLOSOWSKI
Division Director (Acting)
##  [email protected]   
##  www.vatsim.me
##   ##
     Signature.png.ebeb12713b17feaba5b97c3b8a413f39.png

5 minutes ago, Chriss Klosowski said:

I've been living in the Dubai for almost 6 months now and I have switched ISPs. Etisalat completely blocked everything even VATSIM, however once we moved over to a new place we changed ISPs to DU which had nothing blocked for some reason (This includes Discord and VoIP. It seems I can use them correctly). In cases where I'm not at home you'll need to get a VPN. I've started to hear that they somehow managed to start slowing down VPN connections. You can join the Middle East Discord server which has a lot of members living in the U.A.E. You can maybe possibly ask them for more info on how they do it from there side as it differs from area to area in Dubai. Link: https://discord.gg/Hvxm5Ky

Why does it not surprise me that they're finding ways to slow everything down if you're using a vpn 🙄 personally i've not had any issues with expressVPN (in some cases it's actually faster with the VPN turned on)

I haven't changed providers yet as my building was not configured to accept DU connections when i first moved here 6 years ago, and the ridiculous cancellation fees really put me off. Maybe once i move out i can look at changing providers. 

The more I experience the problem, the more I am convinced it is a question of data as I mentioned here on the forum before.

I can stay connected for hours flying in any part of the world and have no issues at all, even talking to 1 or 2 controllers along the way. Then, if the total number of connections to VATSIM go above 900 or 1000 (for example in the evening or at the weekend), it suddenly becomes impossible to connect.

The other day, I did notice, when I took off from an airport in Europe with only _APP but not a lot of traffic around, I managed to remain connected with no problems, then got to England (with more traffic) and got disconnected/booted out straight away. Impossible to reconnect! Then in the descent to the north of the UK, managed to reconnect again with no issues. There were maybe 10 or 15 aircraft and 4 or 5 controllers (with their ATIS) in England and that seemed enough to be a problem. Then further north, with no traffic, no connection issues. Another time, getting close to the Channel, with the same traffic situation, again....disconnected.

If there was a "ban" I don't think the connection would work when things are quiet on the network or in areas with only a few pilots....Other banned or blocked apps never work!

I do believe it is a matter for the internet connection to "manage" the amount of data coming from VATSIM. When it becomes too much, it just gives up. I do think the ISP connection drops data packets. Do a test and see what happens....

I therefore believe VATSIM is not blocked as such, but because of the ISP and the "dropped" data packets, VATSIM is unusable as soon as it gets busy.  Of course, we want things to be busy on VATSIM so thanks to the ISP, we cannot enjoy VATSIM to its full.

To the VATSIM network people, does this make sense somehow? Does the amount of data a pilot receives through his VATSIM connection depend on the amount of traffic around him? 

Anyway, this is my personal experience and conclusions.... Very frustrating, let me tell you!

2 hours ago, Fred Navarro said:

To the VATSIM network people, does this make sense somehow? Does the amount of data a pilot receives through his VATSIM connection depend on the amount of traffic around him?

Yes, absolutely. In fact, the amount of traffic nearby is practically the only thing that affects bandwidth usage for a pilot.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 1 month later...

Hey all, 

I live in UAE & I too face the same problem. I honestly don't understand what is causing this issue. This happens to me both when I connect with Euroscope & VPILOT and I have been reporting this issue since 2017.

The only way I have managed to solve this issue is by using VPN and I don't prefer using VPN at all. I hope the network mods will take a look at this. 

Server: Client authentication response timeout

Edited by Sachin Gnath

Hey guys! I also live in UAE and use Etisalat as my ISP, I’ve also been facing this problem since I joined VATSIM + I couldn’t login for my S2 CPT and we had to postpone it, even on the next day I couldn’t login for my CPT. The login gets through only by chance... When I try using a VPN my AFV just wont respond and eventually crashes... I really hope this issue gets solved...

• 1 month later...