You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

12,5 kHz frequencies

Oliver Gruetzmann

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted

Hi,

we did some testing before we went forward and obviously missed XSquawkbox.

Trying to use real frequencies (like 118.825, 123.225) we found out that XSB is the only client doing some weird stuff (converting everything to xx0).

The other clients most likely transmit/receive on both, buggy Vatsim and real frequencies, only XSB prevents communication. Any chance to get this changed?

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Oliver Gruetzmann said:

Hi,

we did some testing before we went forward and obviously missed XSquawkbox.

Trying to use real frequencies (like 118.825, 123.225) we found out that XSB is the only client doing some weird stuff (converting everything to xx0).

The other clients most likely transmit/receive on both, buggy Vatsim and real frequencies, only XSB prevents communication. Any chance to get this changed?

As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm, Ross and I have both discussed this whilst trying to work out why on earth the frequency hack is in there (it's been in all the old versions of XSB as well, so you honestly did not test this very well).

VPilot and XPilot have selective behaviour in this area dependent on what the controller advertises whereas XSB consistently uses the truncated.

Until such time as VATGOV5 presents a ruling, as far as I'm concerned, the standing guidance to use the truncated frequency stands otherwise then I risk breaking the client for territories who are still following network guidance and using the truncated frequency.  (Damned if I do, damned if I don't).

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Christopher Collins said:

As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm, Ross and I have both discussed this whilst trying to work out why on earth the frequency hack is in there (it's been in all the old versions of XSB as well, so you honestly did not test this very well).

VPilot and XPilot have selective behaviour in this area dependent on what the controller advertises whereas XSB consistently uses the truncated.

Until such time as VATGOV5 presents a ruling, as far as I'm concerned, the standing guidance to use the truncated frequency stands otherwise then I risk breaking the client for territories who are still following network guidance and using the truncated frequency.  (Damned if I do, damned if I don't).

Yep, obviously missed XSB, but for this reason we only switched over a small part (and reverted to the old frequencies already).

The only thing we keep is the ATIS frequencies to be compatible to vATIS, which doesn't allow for .x20 or .x70, but the impact of this should be very limited (if there's any at all).

• 1 year later...
Bernardo Reis
Posted
Posted

With the removal of the legacy clients, XSB is now the only one with this kind of behaviour. Are there any plans to make it work like the other clients on this area?

• 3 weeks later...
Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted
On 5/13/2021 at 6:27 PM, Bernardo Reis said:

With the removal of the legacy clients, XSB is now the only one with this kind of behaviour. Are there any plans to make it work like the other clients on this area?

Can we please get a definitive statement on this from the BoG (specifically from @Matt Bozwood-Davies)? The same argument has been ongoing back and forth in the AFV Discord about frequency consistency for over 4 months.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png