You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Another technical change without an announcement...

Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all -- I've previously pointed out on this forum that a few recent changes to the technical delivery of services to users have been made without warning or announcement.  The most egregious examples in my opinion have been the shutdown of the SYD server, the sudden depreciation of XSquawkBox 1.3 to "unauthorized client software" status, and the archival of historical user flightplan data.  (In fairness, the pending depreciation of the older XSB was known to be coming since it did not have low-FPS detection -- but that discussion had gone on for months, and when the decision was finally made, it was without advance warning.  The other two I mentioned were done with no forward communication, leaving users to figure out what happened only after the fact by posting questions here.) 

Last night, xPilot 1.2.1 -- which, since January, has been the only version considered non-Alpha -- suddenly and without warning became "unauthorized client software."  I found this morning by browsing the VATSIM Facebook group that for at least one user this occurred *mid-flight.*

Is there anything the userbase can do to get some improved advance communication on such topics, please? 

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr
  • Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

This was news to us as well. 

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I completely dropped the ball on this one, so I take full responsibility and blame for it. I made the decision to deprecate old versions of xPilot for three reasons:

1. I'm not providing support or maintaining the code for older versions any longer
  2. To keep xPilot from being stuck in a "perpetual" beta state
  3. To open the xPilot codebase
  • Like 1

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Zac Kaplowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, not happy about that.

I wouldn't mind, except that the latest version doesn't work. The buttons are greyed out, I cannot connect.

A few hours lost until I found this.

Edited by Zac Kaplowitz
Removed disrespectful language

Zac Kaplowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Justin Shannon said:

I completely dropped the ball on this one, so I take full responsibility and blame for it. I made the decision to deprecate old versions of xPilot for three reasons:

1. I'm not providing support or maintaining the code for older versions any longer
  2. To keep xPilot from being stuck in a "perpetual" beta state
  3. To open the xPilot codebase

Even so, weird to do that unannounced and overnight.

Edited by Zac Kaplowitz

Zac Kaplowitz
Posted
Posted

Also, in 1.3.22, my microphone is way too quiet. Doesn't even get near the greens unless I shout @Justin Shannon

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted (edited)

Zac, watch your language. I've removed all disrespectful words from your post.

3 minutes ago, Zac Kaplowitz said:

I'm now completely unable to fly on vatsim.

Why can't you fly on VATSIM? Have you tried updating? If yes, why can't you fly? Any errors?

Edited by Nestor Perez
  • Like 1

Me.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Zac Kaplowitz said:

Well, pretty angry about that.

I wouldn't mind, except that the latest version doesn't work. The buttons are greyed out, I cannot connect.

Four hours lost until I found this little post. Great.

Likely giving up until FS2020.

Wow... calm down mate! It’s not the end of the world. 

There is a small bug that is causing this for some people - restarting xPilot seems to fix it. Join us on Discord and we can get you sorted out if you’re still having troubles. 

Edited by Nestor Perez
Removed disrespectful language in quote
  • Like 1

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Zac Kaplowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

Everything that could go wrong seems to be going wrong today

I've restarted, reinstalled multiple times. I'll try once more and see.

Edited by Zac Kaplowitz
  • Like 1

Zac Kaplowitz
Posted
Posted

Capture.JPG

p.JPG

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

It's not that I dispute the goals of moving the project forward, and I'm glad that the major instabilities in 1.3.x seem to be a thing of the past.  It was in particular the sudden and unannounced inability to connect with 1.2.1 that left me bewildered.  A quick scan of the VATSIM and VATSIM For Beginners Facebook groups this morning suggests I wasn't the only one taken by surprise, and in particular the beginners seemed most confused and frustrated by it. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted
Just now, Robert Shearman Jr said:

It's not that I dispute the goals of moving the project forward, and I'm glad that the major instabilities in 1.3.x seem to be a thing of the past.  It was in particular the sudden and unannounced inability to connect with 1.2.1 that left me bewildered.  A quick scan of the VATSIM and VATSIM For Beginners Facebook groups this morning suggests I wasn't the only one taken by surprise, and in particular the beginners seemed most confused and frustrated by it. 

We have posted an announcement on the update now on our Facebook and Twitter, feel free to use that if you want to inform others. 🙂

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mats Edvin Aaro said:

We have posted an announcement on the update now on our Facebook and Twitter, feel free to use that if you want to inform others. 🙂

Thank you, Mats.  I've been trying to get the word out through my own social media circles but I'm sure that the "official" VATSIM channels will be way more far-reaching than my own little tiny corner of the room, lol. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png