You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

MSFS2020 default model issue

Kirk Bauer

Kirk Bauer
Posted
Posted

I keep getting disconnected with this error:

[01:10:57] Failed to create aircraft N508DB using default model "C172". You must set a valid default model or you will keep getting this error! Disconnecting from network.

The problem is I have no idea what to enter into the Default Model field because I can't figure out what models are available in MSFS2020. The settings screen (where you can re-scan for models) finds 34 models, but I don't know what any of those models are called, so I can't figure out what to type in the Default Model input box.

• Thanks 1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It was set to "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00" before you changed it. You can set it back to that, or you can use "Cessna Skyhawk G1000 Asobo" if you want a C172 instead.

• Thanks 2

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Kirk Bauer
Posted
Posted

Thank you! I'm new to Vatsim and I must have changed that before and obviously didn't know what was in there, thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
Romain Brancherie
Posted
Posted

Hello !

I have the exact same problem but I with the Robin DR400/100 Cadet instead. Do you know where I can learn what I should put for this and for any other aircrafts ?

Thanks!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Romain, the value you put in the default model field has nothing to do with the aircraft that you're flying. It is the model that will be used to represent OTHER user's aircraft when no suitable model match is found.

• 3 weeks later...
Paul Wareing
Posted
Posted

@Ross Carlson 

I can see from your ealier posts in this thread that we can use the following for Default Model in Model Matching for MSFS...

'Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00'

'Cessna Skyhawk G1000 Asobo'

Where can we find the full list of possible default model strings to use?

Does vpilot cache them somewhere?  Can we look in some MSFS file/folder to find them?

Thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You can find them in the aircraft.cfg files which are in the various package folders installed by the sim. Look at the "title = " lines in the aircraft.cfg files.

• 11 months later...
Thomas Jorgensen
Posted
Posted

hi, I have that problem with many airliners in MSFS, when flying on VATSIM. Always the same message "you must set a valid default model" and it disconnects. Impossible to use VATSIM since weeks because of that. I understand you have a solution as mentionned just here above, but i don't understand exactly what i should change and where. Is it in the aircraft.cfg of each livery file, or somewhere else ?

Screenshot (4889).png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

The default model matching aircraft for MSFS within vPilot is Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00.  You can find that in Settings > Model Matching (MSFS).  

If, for some reason, you have deleted that aircraft from your library as an example, you will need to specify a different default aircraft for vPilot to display if it cannot find a suitable aircraft from your AI library to display.  

Once you have determined which aircraft you would like to use (and remember, it's really important to use a low-resolution AI model, not anything like a high-resolution payware model!), you will need to go into Settings > Model Matching (MSFS) and replace Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00 with the correct aircraft name (found in "title = " lines in the aircraft.cfg files).  Or, another option would be to put back the Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00 if you had deleted it.  

This, and other related information, can be found in the vPilot documentation at https://vpilot.rosscarlson.dev/Documentation#model-matching

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• 1 year later...
Astor Thrana
Posted
Posted
On 9/17/2021 at 10:44 PM, Don Desfosse said:

Once you have determined which aircraft you would like to use (and remember, it's really important to use a low-resolution AI model, not anything like a high-resolution payware model!), you will need to go into Settings > Model Matching (MSFS) and replace Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00 with the correct aircraft name (found in "title = " lines in the aircraft.cfg files).  Or, another option would be to put back the Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00 if you had deleted it.

i have the same issue, although even though it says "title = "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00" ; Variation name" in the .cfg file, it still does not work even though it is identical in the vpilot settings?

Matthew Garner
Posted
Posted
On 12/22/2022 at 1:31 PM, Astor Thrana said:

i have the same issue, although even though it says "title = "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00" ; Variation name" in the .cfg file, it still does not work even though it is identical in the vpilot settings?

Same here and I've only had this issue today, it was working ok before today and I'm not really sure what's changed. I haven't installed any new model matching stuff either.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I would try temporarily removing any add-ons from your community folder. I think you can just move the folders out of your community folder into a temporary area somewhere else on your hard drive. Obviously do this while the sim is not running. Then fire up the sim and see if the problem persists.