Controller location in v3 data feed

What happened to the controller lat/long data in the v3 data feed? This seems like a step backwards.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Bump?

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

To determine controllers potentially in range of a pilot when flying, as well as plotting them on a map.

Cheers!

Luke

8 minutes ago, Luke Kolin said:

To determine controllers potentially in range of a pilot when flying, as well as plotting them on a map.

Cheers!

Luke

wouldnt it be better to have the sector coordinates for the controllor if it is an enroute station.

It would be exponentially simpler to just have the lat/long plus the range (which is already in the feed) and do a simple distance calculation rather than a lot more data pushed to the clients and a more complicated algorithm. I don't need perfect sector boundaries, just way to filter the ATC list.

Why was it removed?

Cheers

Luke

Is there any update or status from VATSIM on this? It's getting close to blocking a release of mine, or I'll need to code against the v2 data feed.

Cheers!

Luke

Hi Luke,

There is a technical limitation that results in loss of ATIS data when there are too many connections (ATC/OBS/ATIS). Due to that limitation, we have removed the controller position field. This is not a limitation of the data server, but rather a restriction on how we get data from FSD.

If you have any more questions, feel free to drop an email to [email protected]

On a side note; apologies for the very late response.

Jordan Jolenaar 
VATSIM Senior Developer 
##  [email protected]
## www.vatsim.net

MeyrHZn.jpg

Does that mean there has been a bug filed against FSD?

I'm not sure how adding lat/lon to a data feed for a few dozen controllers breaks things whereas that field for over 1,000 pilots does not. This is an important feature for me, and I'll need to stick to the V2 feed for now.

Luke