You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot 2.7.0 Released as Stable

Ross Carlson

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Michael Roberge said:

I thought I noticed a person shadowing me in my seat with a ball cap on? And I still had my tower block up in the left corner I could pick tower answers from.

vPilot does not add any physical models aside from planes to represent other VATSIM pilots. 

The menu options you describe are the sim's default AI ATC commands.  You should shut that subsystem off when getting onto VATSIM. 

If you want vPilot to stay visible when not in focus, there's an option for that in vPilot's Settings menu. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Steven Jarman
Posted
Posted
On 1/31/2021 at 5:40 PM, Ross Carlson said:

Because a lot of users were confused by it, thinking they could not connect if the list was empty. And not a lot of users even used that list anyway. It will still save the last type code and callsign that you used for your last flight.

Not confusing at all. This is a backwards step. Not happy!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Steven Jarman said:

Not confusing at all.

Not for you maybe, but I did hear from several users that didn't understand what it was for. Some actually thought they couldn't connect. People don't read documentation any more.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Steven Jarman
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Ross Carlson said:

Not for you maybe, but I did hear from several users that didn't understand what it was for. Some actually thought they couldn't connect. People don't read documentation any more.

Haha. Thanks for the quick reply, Ross. Couldn't it be an optional item? How do they manage to operate the planes? 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Have a look at this reply where I talked about how I might handle it differently in a future update:

• 2 months later...
Bolun Gao
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/1/2021 at 4:40 AM, Ross Carlson said:

Because a lot of users were confused by it, thinking they could not connect if the list was empty. And not a lot of users even used that list anyway. It will still save the last type code and callsign that you used for your last flight.

After using the new version for two months, not sure about others but this feature is convenient for me.. After the list was removed, I needs to input selcal and type everytime I change my plane. And the selcal is not very easy to remember and input like type code..

Edited by Bolun Gao

Tyler Wood
Posted
Posted
On 2/3/2021 at 6:03 PM, Richard Walsh said:

Really? Taking it away from people that aren't easily confused by shiny things seems odd. How many of these people are there? I liked this function.

It was pretty useful over here as well. It's unfortunate it was removed, hopefully it can be added into a misc settings or something.

• 3 weeks later...
Diego Veja
Posted
Posted (edited)

I too believe that it was useful. Regarding the issue with people who don´t read, that could be fixed by filling the blank boxes with lighter grey text like this same page does in the search box (Search...). For the Callsign box I don´t have a suggestion text (could be "Enter Callsing..."?) but for the Type code box "Search..." will do fine. Once we click there text goes away, I believe this is very intuitive cause is used in several online forms. 

Edited by Diego Veja

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Diego Veja said:

I too believe that it was useful. Regarding the issue with people who don´t read, that could be fixed by filling the blank boxes with lighter grey text like this same page does in the search box (Search...). For the Callsign box I don´t have a suggestion text (could be "Enter Callsing..."?) but for the Type code box "Search..." will do fine. Once we click there text goes away, I believe this is very intuitive cause is used in several online forms. 

Not knowing what to put in those boxes wasn't the issue. The issue was that the "recent aircraft" dropdown was empty for new users, and they didn't know how to get past it, since there was no way to select a value there. They didn't understand that it was optional.

What I'm planning to do is something similar to what Squawkbox had, where you add aircraft to your "fleet" or "hangar", and then you choose which one you want to use when you connect to the network. Each aircraft in your fleet will have an a/c type code, an optional airline code, and an optional default callsign. When you select an aircraft from your fleet when you connect, the default callsign will appear in an editable text box so that you can change it prior to connecting, if you want.

• 3 months later...
nguyen tien dat
Posted
Posted

why every time i log in it says invalid ID and password?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Because you have not completed the New Member Orientation....

The same information is found in FAQ #1 on the Support page:  https://support.vatsim.net/kb/faq.php?id=1

And here:  

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• Ross Carlson unfeatured and unpinned this topic