Altitude

Donald Stimson

Hi Ross, 

Is there anywhere to follow the status of your work to adjust airplane altitudes resulting from the MSFS implementation of the effect of non-standard pressure gradients on airplane true altitude?  Or do we just wait until a new version of vPilot is issued?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Oh, darn it, I wasn't aware of that. I guess you could still work on the algorithm assuming the bug in the altitude variables is fixed, but may as well wait. Do you expect them to let you know when the bug is fixed, or is it something you are going to have to keep tabs on yourself?

(I thought your proposed solution for making the true altitudes consistent across the different sims looked very good and can't wait to try it out.)

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope this gets fixed in the September FS2020 update. I have tried to do several VATSIM flight, but my reported altitude is always 500 to 1500 feet different with the correct altimeter setting. It's a bummer.

Good evening Ross

I read your post in MSFS forum. That was an excellent explanation.

I got your point of the TCAS issue between one aircraft using MSFS and another in XP/ P3D.

But i remain with one question. To the point of view of the controller (VRC/Euroscope) are we allowed to use live weather in MSFS? Are those controller going to see us in the correct altitude/FL?

Best regards

40 minutes ago, Jose Gentile said:

are we allowed to use live weather in MSFS?

I haven't seen any official prohibition statement from VATSIM, so I would say yes.

40 minutes ago, Jose Gentile said:

Are those controller going to see us in the correct altitude/FL?

If the temperature is non-standard ISA, then the controller will see you offset from your indicated altitude by some amount.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC