You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Oakland Oceanic is moving!

Ryan Parry

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Seems some people are allowed to post assumptions, but others have to prove their content.  That’s totally a level playing field.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• William Teale

• Sean Harrison

• Alexandra Robison

• Greg Barber

Top Posters In This Topic

• William Teale

William Teale 11 posts

• Sean Harrison

Sean Harrison 10 posts

• Alexandra Robison

Alexandra Robison 9 posts

• Greg Barber

Greg Barber 8 posts

Popular Days

• Aug 29 2021

82 posts

• Aug 28 2021

1 post

Popular Posts

Tim Barber

Hello All, This is an important discussion, however the posts here have reached the point of not being helpful to the process.  To be clear, the VATSIM Board of Governors has not addressed this t

William Teale

I draw the parties attention to the Agreement signed by Mark Richards, Shannon Wells, Alex Bailey, Terry Scanlan, and Bryan Wollenberg: https://pacificoceanic.vatsim.net/docs/Oceanic LOA rev1 090710.p

Alexandra Robison

Seems to me like the RVPs for their respective regions (AMAS and APAC) made a decision that affected only their regions. Why would that need a full BoG vote? Do RVPs not have executive control over th

Richard Bywater
Posted
Posted

Aside from the "legality" of the process (I do agree on the reading of the agreement that its the Division Directors or Board of Governors that need to agree to any change or suspension of the agreement and not the Regional Vice Presidents) it would be interesting to know a bit of the backstory about the "why". Is there an issue that has been occurring that this change hopes to solve?

William Teale
Posted
Posted

It seems fairly clear that there must be some "issue" here, else we wouldnt be getting a unilateral ultimatum a couple days in advance of the implementation date...

Chris Gardiner
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dylan Lundberg said:

I mean, it is called Oakland Oceanic...

The other positions in the agreement are called Brisbane Radio and Auckland Radio. thank you for your service.

• Like 2

136387491_Asset2xxxhdpi.thumb.png.2a84fc3bd913564d6be34b0108522a06.pngChris Gardiner | 1546444
Events Director | VATPAC5
C3 Controller | I3 instructor
E: [email protected]

E: [email protected]

Alexandra Robison
Posted
Posted
Just now, Chris Gardiner said:

The other positions in the agreement are called Brisbane Radio and Auckland Radio. thank you for your service.

Per the agreement, Brisbane and Auckland are not being transferred to ZOA as far as I know. It's just ZAK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

William Teale
Posted
Posted

Per the agreement, no one is doing anything unilaterally, despite recent unfounded claims to the contrary...

And were anyone doing anything unilaterally, it would ipso facto not be per the agreement.

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Alexandra Robison said:

Per the agreement, Brisbane and Auckland are not being transferred to ZOA as far as I know. It's just ZAK.

What Agreement? What agreement are you now referring too?  Or is it more assumption?

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Dylan Lundberg
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Chris Gardiner said:

Sorry, those are irrelevant to the discussion considering Oakland ARTCC wants their Oceanic airspace back. Don't thank me for my service, a date would good tho.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Nothing is being transfered anywhere.

Under the paciffic Oceanic partnership ZOA, VATPAC and VATNZ have all been responsable for their own oceanic airspace. However all oceanic rated controllers in each division, plus some visitors had un restricted access to control in any of the positions listed.

ZOA have decided, on their own accord, to leave the Partnership, thus ending the partnership.

• Like 2

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Chris Gardiner
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dylan Lundberg said:

Sorry, those are irrelevant to the discussion considering Oakland ARTCC wants their Oceanic airspace back. Don't thank me for my service, a date would good tho.

I fail to see what your original comment had to do with the discussion…

136387491_Asset2xxxhdpi.thumb.png.2a84fc3bd913564d6be34b0108522a06.pngChris Gardiner | 1546444
Events Director | VATPAC5
C3 Controller | I3 instructor
E: [email protected]

E: [email protected]

William Teale
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Kirk Christie said:

ZOA have decided, on their own accord, to leave the Partnership, thus ending the partnership.

This is not quite correct, Kirk - ZOA lack the ability to dissolve the partnership, per the Pacific Oceanic Agreement. Two cases exist which end the partnership, and neither of them have been satisfied.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Oakland ARTCC wants their Oceanic airspace back.

They never lost their airspace, they always had it. 

https://pacificoceanic.vatsim.net/

• Thanks 1

Dylan Lundberg
Posted
Posted

I mentioned a control position that is word for word the title of the thread. 

Either way, what's the big deal here? What are the connection statistics for non-VATUSA members that worked ZAK over the lets say, 12 months? 

Greg Barber
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ryan Parry said:

This is post is not inaccurate. 

By the way thanks for reinforcing my point.  So what you are saying is, my post stating that your post is inaccurate is accurate?  😄

Edited by Greg Barber
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Greg Barber

VATPAC3 - Director ATC Training & Standards

Alexandra Robison
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Sean Harrison said:

What Agreement? What agreement are you now referring too?  Or is it more assumption?

To quote the OP:

"Oakland Oceanic will be leaving the current Pacific Oceanic Partnership and will be under the sole control of the Oakland ARTCC."

It specifies "Oakland Oceanic."

Dylan Lundberg
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Kirk Christie said:

They never lost their airspace, they always had it. 

https://pacificoceanic.vatsim.net/

Ok fine - But is ZOA out of bounds here for saying they want to manage their own airspace? 2006 was 15 years ago. Time for a change!

Bobby Melton
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ladies and gents,

I'm not sure what is going on with everyone being upset that Oakland wants control over their airspace. If you would like to apply to be a visitor it is a very simple process outlined here. https://oakartcc.org/controllers/apply-to-visit

Edited by Bobby Melton
  • Like 1

William Teale
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ok fine - But is ZOA out of bounds here for saying they want to manage their own airspace? 2006 was 15 years ago. Time for a change!

and 2005 was 16 years ago, but that has nothing to do with the discussion.

If you mean to imply that the partnership has not been reviewed in 15 years, you are sadly mistaken - the current version of the agreement is from 2009, and it has been reviewed a number of times since then.

Bobby - in short the concern is that Oakland wants to bar people from controlling after agreeing that those people could control. You are mistaken about it being a simple process, Ive applied for visiting controller status across the US and in over 12 months havent gotten a single confirmation email yet...

In any event, if that is the desire for Oakland, its not a complex process for them to go about changing things. They can do so within the bounds of the existing agreement which has been considered acceptable for the last 15 years...

Edited by William Teale

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Dylan Lundberg said:

Sorry, those are irrelevant to the discussion

Iornic statement, coming from one of two people who are semingly vocal in this discussion, that do not show up as controllers for the affected area.

Edited by Kirk Christie

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Alexandra Robison said:

To quote the OP:

"Oakland Oceanic will be leaving the current Pacific Oceanic Partnership and will be under the sole control of the Oakland ARTCC."

It specifies "Oakland Oceanic."

So now you do know there is an agreement between the two RVPs?  I wish you would make up your mind. 🤦‍♀️

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Alexandra Robison
Posted
Posted
Just now, Sean Harrison said:

So now you do know there is an agreement between the two RVPs?  I wish you would make up your mind. 🤦‍♀️

I quoted the OP. I wish you would read 🤦‍♀️

Greg Barber
Posted
Posted

Nobody is saying ZOA can't administer their airspace (in much the same way VATPAC and VATNZ administer theirs.  But to say, we are leaving the partnership for no good reason and unless you let us know within 2 months, you can't control here anymore is a bit rich and disrespectful to the other parties of the agreement.  Especially when it gets announced publicly before the parties to the agreement are advised.

• Thanks 2

Greg Barber

VATPAC3 - Director ATC Training & Standards

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Maybe we just continue with the agreement until the BOG or both the RVP’s make an announcement!   Disregard the OP as it isn’t supported by any basis.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Bobby Melton said:

I'm not sure what is going on with everyone being upset that Oakland wants control over their airspace

Because due process was not followed. They never lost control over their airspace.

Dylan Lundberg
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Kirk Christie said:

Iornic statement, comming from one of two people who are semingly vocal in this discussion, that do not show up as controllers for the affected area.

Ironic*, Coming*, seemingly*

Move the thread somewhere private then, but since its in a public VATSIM forum, I can be here all I want.

• Tim Barber locked this topic
  • Tim Barber unlocked this topic