You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Going from IVAO to VATSIM? And which software to use?

Martijn Joon

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Martijn Joon said:

Thanks a lot for all the help/answers.

regarding events it’s clear to me. Tours (like a VFR tour thru Benelux for example) doesn’t seem to be existent right?

Dutch VACC sometimes hosts a VFR tour event. 

Also, you can organize these events yourself. We have several 'unofficial' events, like group flights and 'regional Wednesday'. 

Martijn

Andrea Mazzoni
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/29/2021 at 12:21 PM, Andreas Fuchs said:

You guys are in the top league indeed.

Here's a nice list of airports, airlines etc. with all their stats: https://www.vatsimstats.net/

FINALLY, AGAIN SOME STATISTICS!

Edited by Andrea Mazzoni

Sometimes things get complicated. ATC on VATSIM as Milano Radar (LIMM_N_CTR) Twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/italianalien21

Martijn Joon
Posted
Posted

Again thanks a lot for all the replies, been planning and looking last couple of days for my first VFR flight online on VATSIM.

Hope to do a flight Monday or Tuesday evening simulating daytime but with real weather. Playing around now with LNM and dusted out my old flight computer, looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Martijn Joon
Posted
Posted (edited)

I keep asking questions, sorry! 

I'm also looking to do some VFR in the US

I have to say i used to do IFR flight so this is pretty new for me. Screenshot is from Skyvector and want to check if i interpret the chart/procedure right

I have to follow one of the light blue lines into Bryce Canyon airspace right? Then visually to beacon BCE and from there on change my heading so i fly into the holding for rwy 03? 

image.thumb.png.8372dd958e1d1e584d06f8b7187a95ec.png

Edited by Martijn Joon

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Not quite, as far as I know (caveat: I'm not familiar with VFR procedures in the US, nor with their map interpretation, but I'd be very surprised if I'm wrong here). Flying VFR you would get clearance into the control Zone but you wouldn't need to be on one of the radials from BCE. You'd need to look at the VFR charts or examine the AIP for the Bryce Canyon airfield data: there may be standard entry/exit lanes for VFR traffic which would specify the joining and approach procedure for the runway in use. I'm sure you would not use the hold at all, nor would you need to overfly BCE. These are for IFR traffic.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Martijn Joon
Posted
Posted

That’s odd because I cannot find VFR chart like anywhere?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Hi, Martin --

When VFR you would typically NOT fly an RNAV approach, which is an instrument procedure.  Given that the airport in question is non-towered, you'd decide on your own what the preferred arrival runway is based on wind / terrain / runway length, then decide on your own the proper way to join the VFR traffic pattern to that runway.

When IFR, a controller would either vector you to the final approach course for your RNAV approach, or, would clear you to an Initial Fix and then clear you to execute the approach from there.

Obviously, the whole of US VFR and IFR procedure is much more complicated than can be summed up in a single forum post, but, hopefully that helps.  I also have a tutorial on my YouTube channel which goes through how to read a US VFR sectional, if you care to check it out.  I'll link it below.  In short, the light blue lines are Victor airways, i.e. low-altitude IFR paths.  You see them on VFR charts really primarily for situatoinal awareness; i.e. so that you know as a VFR pilot that there's a decent chance you'll encounter IFR traffic along those routes.

Hope that helps.  Here's the video I mentioned.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgYJXGOqV-g

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Martijn Joon said:

That’s odd because I cannot find VFR chart like anywhere?

The chart that you have displayed in your screenshot above is a VFR chart--also called a sectional chart. Note, I'm referring to what's behind the RNAV approach plate you've got pulled up, not the RNAV approach plate itself. If you look on which map you have selected on Skyvector, you'll see it says "World VFR".

I highly recommend checking out Robert's video, too. He does a fine job of explaining how to use sectionals and how it relates to what you do on the network. It'll very likely keep you out of trouble!

Martijn Joon
Posted
Posted

I will check the video!

thing is that this is the link to an approach chart in the Netherlands: https://www.lvnl.nl/eaip/2019-08-01-AIRAC/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHTE-VAC.pdf

I was expecting something like that also but if I’m not mistaken the US (and Germany for example also?) show where you’re NOT allowed to fly where we in Holland also show where you NEED to fly?

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted

Ah, yeah there are a handful of airports with charted visual procedures, but those are intended for IFR aircraft to keep their flight paths on a specific path. They're usually directed away from noise-sensitive or high-security areas. If you're flying VFR, the FAA basically doesn't care where you go or how you get there, just so long as you don't violate ATC airspace, prohibited areas, temporary flight restrictions, and a handful of other things. They've also provided some rules and guidance as to how to enter the traffic patterns at non-towered airports.

There are some airports that do publish charts that are similar to the one you posted. KBDU, in Boulder, CO, for example, publishes a brochure that contains info on the airport itself as well as nearby noise-sensitive areas and recommended traffic pattern entry and exit paths. It's all voluntary, though, but most pilots who know and understand the long-term pay offs of being a good neighbor, follow them. Fortunately, noise-sensitive areas aren't much of a concern on VATSIM!

Martijn Joon
Posted
Posted

Thanks a lot!!

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dustin Rider said:

Ah, yeah there are a handful of airports with charted visual procedures, but those are intended for IFR aircraft to keep their flight paths on a specific path. They're usually directed away from noise-sensitive or high-security areas. If you're flying VFR, the FAA basically doesn't care where you go or how you get there, just so long as you don't violate ATC airspace, prohibited areas, temporary flight restrictions, and a handful of other things. They've also provided some rules and guidance as to how to enter the traffic patterns at non-towered airports.

There are some airports that do publish charts that are similar to the one you posted. KBDU, in Boulder, CO, for example, publishes a brochure that contains info on the airport itself as well as nearby noise-sensitive areas and recommended traffic pattern entry and exit paths. It's all voluntary, though, but most pilots who know and understand the long-term pay offs of being a good neighbor, follow them. Fortunately, noise-sensitive areas aren't much of a concern on VATSIM!

Those Dutch charts are very much intended for VFR though. Unlike the US, the Netherlands have a very tight airspace, and VFR is regulated a lot more heavily. Traffic circuit directions and circuit areas are generally mandatory, and mandatory reporting points like Sierra in the linked chart are common. Noise abatement regulations are also fairly common, and a constant source of political friction; those red dotted areas on the chart are there for a reason, and pilots are expected to know and respect them. EHTE also sits in a rather peculiar location, wedged in between military airspace for the nearby Deelen airbase, glider activity out of Terlet, and some of the busiest routes into and out of EHAM. There's actually lots of regulations with this airfield, like with most other Dutch airfields, when it comes to VFR, so you should really read the entire eAIP section.

Of course you won't be reprimanded on VATSIM for busting a noise abatement restriction, but at least when the area is controlled, ATC will expect you to be familiar with the procedures.

23.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Generally speaking, VFR in the US is much less tightly restricted than VFR in most of Europe.  That's just my observation.  But I think it stands up, and, makes sense when you consider the difference in population and/or airspace density. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 3 weeks later...
Martijn Joon
Posted
Posted

Thanks again! I was online yesterday for the first time on VATSIM just for a short period to check if my settings were right etc. Might be a bit overdue but having a pregnant wife, a child, a fulltime job and a study makes it a bit hard to get some time to really sort this out. I’m still sorting out MSFS, which raises the question: do I need to add somekind of MTL to vPilot? Or will the models shown be the right ones?

Martijn Joon
Posted
Posted

Just a quick message to thank you’ll again. By now have 5 hours logged in VATSIM, all of it IFR as it was a bit more familiar but already bought the DC-6 which I’ll probably use for VFR flights. For now I’ll probably stick a bit with the CJ4 and maybe the A320 although I can’t wait till PMDG brings out their 737 for MSFS as that’s a plane I logged more than 400 hours in.

TL;DR: thanks a lot for the help!

• Thanks 1