You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New Pilot Questions

John Huhn

John Huhn
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good Evening All,

I am very eager to start using VATSIM.  I have been watching a lot of Youtube videos of pilots using Vatsim during their flights.  I still have a lot of questions.  For instance, when planning a flight via SimBrief, having ATIS information, do I choose a runway and SID/STAR for my flight, or should I only plan the waypoints outside of SID and STAR and wait for controller instruction to enter that information into the flight computer?  Also, Do I program the flight computer for speed and altitude based on charts, or is that also instructed via ATC depending on situational data for the real time sim network? I want to have all my ducks in a row, before going live on the network and irritating a controller with my "newbieness" while they are trying to handle traffic.  I really wish there was an event for new pilots to go live with ATC and "work out the kinks" before going live and risk annoying a controller or interupting ATC operations due to ignorance to a procedure of some sorts that may have been overlooked.  I cant be the only one thinking this in depth can I?  HELP!  I am eager to go live and enjoy the full immersion of the network and simulator!!!

Edited by John Huhn

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

First off, welcome to VATSIM!
Seems like you've done a lot of research already, which is great! Your question regarding SID/STAR being assigned really depends on where you are flying. If you're flying in the US, you'll usually select the SID/STAR you want to fly on your own (unless the procedure says "assigned by ATC only"), in other areas of the world, such as Europe, the SID/STAR is generally assigned by ATC. In a controlled airport environment, runways will always be controller assigned, however you can get an understanding for what to expect through the field's ATIS, or if there is no ATIS up, the METAR.

For speeds/altitudes, most flight computers add these values automatically based on SID/STAR, however you do want to verify what the flight computer has input with the chart! If you see hard limits as on the FROGZ1 arrival into KMIA (https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2112/00257FROGZ.PDF), you should expect those altitudes will apply, though ATC will still need to clear you for descent etc. In an arrival such as the BLUFI4 arrival into KMIA (https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2112/00744BLUFI.PDF), you'll see that the chart says to "Expect 7000". When the word expect is included, just understand that that altitude is ATC assigned vs on the procedure. In the first example, ATC will likely tell you to "Descend via the XX arrival", which means to follow the vertical and speed restrictions listed on the chart. In the second example, ATC cannot issue a "descend via" clearance.

Also, feel free to reference network events at https://my.vatsim.net/events. Occasionally "First Wings" events are held which are geared towards newer members.

• Thanks 1

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

There is heaps of information in my.vatsim.net under the learning centre.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

John Huhn
Posted
Posted

Thanks to everyone for your responses, I am going to review in depth the information you all have shared and hopefully my schedule allows for the newbie event listed above.  Thanks again for the help,and hope to gain some confidence soon to go live on ATC.!!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, John Huhn said:

Thanks to everyone for your responses, I am going to review in depth the information you all have shared and hopefully my schedule allows for the newbie event listed above.  Thanks again for the help,and hope to gain some confidence soon to go live on ATC.!!

Above all, don't get embarrassed or discouraged if you mess something up and draw the ire of a controller.  Controllers are not supposed to be disrespectful if you mess up, but if you surprise them by accidentally deviating from a procedure and mess up their sequence, they're only human.  Apologize, ask for a vector and altitude so you can get back on track and/or out of the way of whomever the conflict was with, shake it off, take notes on what procedure you were flying and what you did, and research it afterward to figure out where you messed up so you can hopefully avoid the same error on the next flight.  We on VATSIM don't often have the benefit of hundreds of hours of IFR classroom and practical training like real-world pilots, so some learning is bound to be by trial-and-error.

• Thanks 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png