You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Oh dear - worst flight ever

John McMurdo

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been flying of VATSIM for a while now, and an pretty confident.  I made several mistakes when I first started, and still make a few minor mistakes but nothing catastrophic,  still need to work on my landings though,  always a little off the center line, or a little over the touch zone or both, but pretty much every flight I am happy with, until I stepped back onto the B737-800 after getting so used to the A321. I decided to fly from ORBI to OSDI, Baghdad radar was online and everything was going smoothly until I reached the holding point at 15L.

First I shut down the APU, forgetting to close the breakers for the main generators.  So I had to re-enter flight plan while sat at holding point. I know,  if I had a checklist this kind of thing would not happen,  but I got into the habit of memorizing everything since checklists just create extra work during busy times.  I do have a list of bullet points hanging up next to me,  but I stopped using it after it was burned into memory,  that was for the A321 though.

Luckily,  the airport was not very busy at all..one other member just pushing back at that point iirc

For those not familiar with Baghdad,  there are no SID's as such, the departure is given by ATC.  My departure was as follows; straight ahead until 600ft, left turn 180 until 10nm DME and then direct to DELMI then as filed.

As soon as I applied TO thrust,  I got a TO config warning, speed brakes...

So I finally get airbourne,  then everything goes VERY wrong.  I got so used to the A321 I forgot EVERYTHING and wondered why the aircraft was not doing what I wanted it to do,  first I get the stick shaker,  I have the speed set to 250 heading set to 180...what's going on?  I thought at one point I was going the crash.  The controller must have wondered what the hell I was doing,  and I am just glad there was little to no other traffic around.  Eventually I got things under control,  but really screwed up the departure....then I get the overspeed clacker...sigh.

Then there was the arrival.  I announced my descent on unicom,  five minutes later,  I realized I had not switched over to unicom and was still transmitting on Baghdad radar.

Then when it came to the approach, the purple diamonds did not show up on the AI, so I just did a visual approach,  ended up landing about 50 feet to the left and 200 feet before the runway in the desert, I had also forgotten to engage auto brakes.

I took a break for  couple of hours and then decided to try the same flight offline - of course when I am offline and not streaming it goes without a hitch.

I should probably fly the 737-800 more often, the main reason that I don't, is that I don't trust the default FMC and I need an aircraft with a reliable FMC to fly on VATSIM, unless I want to fly purely using VOR.

Edited by John McMurdo

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

Why not fly Zibo? I thought it has a working FMC?

ACH2118.jpg

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Lauri Uusitalo said:

Why not fly Zibo? I thought it has a working FMC?

What has the got to do with John's description? The problems John describe is a matter of not handling the plane/systems correctly, not a model issue. I'm flying the B738 with Prosim and a hardware cockpit and could have been in exactly the same situation John was is, if I'd forgotten to set up thing correctly.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Torben Andersen said:

What has the got to do with John's description? The problems John describe is a matter of not handling the plane/systems correctly, not a model issue. I'm flying the B738 with Prosim and a hardware cockpit and could have been in exactly the same situation John was is, if I'd forgotten to set up thing correctly.

His last sentence:

I should probably fly the 737-800 more often, the main reason that I don't, is that I don't trust the default FMC and I need an aircraft with a reliable FMC to fly on VATSIM, unless I want to fly purely using VOR.

ACH2118.jpg

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted (edited)

trust and not working and not handling correctly are 3 entirely different things.

Edited by Torben Andersen

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted (edited)

The FMC had nothing to do with what happened during this flight,  for once the FMC actually did what I wanted it to do. Part of the reason was down to me just rushing things on the ground,  for example,  I had written down all the instructions for the departure,  but not taken enough time to really think about what I would have to do when up in the air, and prepare accordingly, but I am pretty sure even then things would have gone wrong because of the differences in the MCP,  that was the real issue.

Edited by John McMurdo

Daniel Faria
Posted
Posted

hahahahahahahahahahahaha It happens once in a while!

ve53xmpo.png

https://forums.vatsim.net/profile/73584-timm-rehberg/ Is the one who made this image!!! big thanks to him