You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vRoute Released

Richard Jenkins

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted
Stephen,

The email isnt stored or captured in any way. It is simply used to verify against the VATSIM database, the very same address for which you are signed up with. If it matches the registered one then vroute is told match, otherwise no match and no registration.

Norman, this is not 100% correct - while as a SUP i have access to VATSIM membership database, I do not use it in any way with vroute. One of the reasons I need email addresses and registration it is it helps me track down problems. When someone emails me with a vroute issue, I can look up their email, find out their computer ID (a random string produced at registration) and browse through the log files.

The email is not, I repeat, NOT shared with anyone outside of vroute.

Michal

vroute.net founder

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michal Rok

• Stephen Keskitalo 977981

• James O Grady 904153

• David Reimer 913748

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michal Rok

Michal Rok 18 posts

• Stephen Keskitalo 977981

Stephen Keskitalo 977981 8 posts

• James O Grady 904153

James O Grady 904153 5 posts

• David Reimer 913748

David Reimer 913748 4 posts

Popular Days

• Mar 31 2007

43 posts

• Apr 1 2007

23 posts

• Apr 2 2007

20 posts

• Apr 3 2007

5 posts

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Michal,

I never said that you did, and indeed know from experience that you wouldn't.

Sorry if I somehow inferred that you would do. I was trying to say quite the opposite.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Michael Bevington 814931
Posted
Posted

Sorry for dropping one more on you Michal but I can't get registered either with my charter.net account. I tried an address directly off my own server and no joy there either. I just tried a third time from my server with all the spam blocking turned off but I am no longer getting any confirmation when I click the register button. Perhaps I caught the server at a bad time.

Mike Bevington

http://vatsim.net/prc

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted
Michal,

I never said that you did, and indeed know from experience that you wouldn't.

Sorry if I somehow inferred that you would do. I was trying to say quite the opposite.

Norman, the thought that you meant something bad never crossed my mind

I just wanted to say that there are different reasons for requiring registration and an email. Another one is that your personal preferences (i.e. friends lists) are stored attached to the email address. If you register vroute on another computer but with the same email, they will be shared. If you reinstall your Windows and install fresh vroute, you will have all your preferences in place - just like with Skype for example.

regards,

Michal

vroute.net founder

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted
Sorry for dropping one more on you Michal but I can't get registered either with my charter.net account. I tried an address directly off my own server and no joy there either. I just tried a third time from my server with all the spam blocking turned off but I am no longer getting any confirmation when I click the register button. Perhaps I caught the server at a bad time.

Michael,

The situation with @charter.net did not change since two months ago when we first exchanged emails about it. They simply refuse to accept email from my server and I can't help it at all. You need to use a different address, and it must be one that is not just aliased to @charter.net just like your @vatsim.net address is.

regards,

Michal

vroute.net founder

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted

Thanks Norman and Michal.

Before I decide whether to register, I have one more question. Does the email that I use to register for vRoute have to be the one I used for VATSIM?

If yes, then why have others been registering with non-ISP accounts or in some cases, multiple emails?

Also, my earlier questions about the necessity of vRoute for flight on VATSIM was not answered and I'm still hoping that someone will answer it.

I still have problems with this as Michal is merely a SUP and not in the administration levels of VATSIM (i.e. BoG member, etc.), and as he stated, he will be retaining the address. I ask for continued help in [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uaging my concerns.

Matt Chase 974571
Posted
Posted
I trust Michal, and I also cannot see Vroute as being 'required' software by VATSIM.

Matt Chase

VATPAC C1 /O

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted
I trust Michal, and I also cannot see Vroute as being 'required' software by VATSIM.

Well that's great for you that he has your trust, but I hardly know him and I don't know what recourse I would have if he suddenly gave me a reason not to trust him. Do you see my dilemma?

Thanks for trying to help though.

Matt Chase 974571
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the link would lead you to some 1500 hours online, leading me to believe he has some level of 'attachment' to this network.

Matt Chase

VATPAC C1 /O

Michael Bevington 814931
Posted
Posted

vRoute is not required software for VATSIM. vRoute is an enhancement. It provides many useful functions that you might find helpful for on (and off) line flight simulation.

Mike Bevington

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted
Perhaps the link would lead you to some 1500 hours online, leading me to believe he has some level of 'attachment' to this network.

I went to the link, I saw the hours, but like I said, I don't know what recourse I would have. At least with a BoG member, I would know that their actions were scrutinized carefully and I would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that all of the BoG members are far more intimate and knowledgeable of each other.

I guess that you follow a different set of criteria for trusting people than I do, so I'm not going to debate trust with you, Matt.

The problem is, I have been burned too many times in the past by sharing my email address with people who I thought I could trust. It's nothing personal or spiteful against Michal.

vRoute is not required software for VATSIM. vRoute is an enhancement. It provides many useful functions that you might find helpful for on (and off) line flight simulation.

Thank you Michael, that was a helpful answer and one which I was hoping for. As long as I can continue to use Simroute, etc. for flight planning without detriment, if I choose not to use vRoute, then I am satisfied.

Does the email that I use to register for vRoute have to be the one I used for VATSIM?

If yes, then why have others been registering with non-ISP accounts or in some cases, multiple emails?

Also, could someone, please address my above quote. It's still unanswered at this point. If I can just use my free email address that I use for spam, then this will all cease to be an issue and I will register immediately.

Owen Catherwood 903683
Posted
Posted

Does the email that I use to register for vRoute have to be the one I used for VATSIM?

Also, could someone, please address my above quote. It's still unanswered at this point. If I can just use my free email address that I use for spam, then this will all cease to be an issue and I will register immediately.

it can be any email address, free or otherwise, at the moment.

KZSE C3/Facilities Administrator

1798.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted
Before I decide whether to register, I have one more question. Does the email that I use to register for vRoute have to be the one I used for VATSIM?

Any email address that works will do. The only ones that clearly are not accepted are the "spam buster" emails that cease to work automatically after 24 hours or so.

Also, my earlier questions about the necessity of vRoute for flight on VATSIM was not answered and I'm still hoping that someone will answer it.

How could I possibly make vroute mandatory? By becoming VATSIM1 and declaring that my private initiative will be now a must for 150.000 people on VATSIM? You're free to use any other tools around there. You're also free to spend 2.5 years of your life writing another tool for the same thing - and if you'll be interested in making or receiving bookings directly into VATBOOK database I am more than happy to deliver you the necessary docomeentation and access rights.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Michael Bevington 814931
Posted
Posted

Michal,

I sorted the email issue by using an alternate with no spam blocking. vRoute looks terrific. Thanks for all the hard work to make this freely available to our membership.

GREAT JOB!

Mike Bevington

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted
How could I possibly make vroute mandatory? By becoming VATSIM1 and declaring that my private initiative will be now a must for 150.000 people on VATSIM? You're free to use any other tools around there. You're also free to spend 2.5 years of your life writing another tool for the same thing - and if you'll be interested in making or receiving bookings directly into VATBOOK database I am more than happy to deliver you the necessary docomeentation and access rights.

First off, I want to say, you have written a very good program, so don't think I'm criticizing the software you wrote.

To explain what I meant: I was thinking along the lines of ATC preferring pilots who use vRoute. So, not an official implementation of making vRoute mandatory, but one of ATC looking down on people who aren't using vRoute.

However, I saw the program, I realized that this was highly unlikely and my fears were unfounded.

I'm having trouble with it though. I cannot enter my VATSIM ID because when I click on the 'Configuration' tab in the Info window, it does not take me to the Configuration window. So, any possible help you could give me with that I would appreciate.

Thanks Michal.

Eduardo Lockhart 849559
Posted
Posted

I have just downloaded the soft and looks like very interesting. Easy to use and very friendly.

But I want to make a couple of questions :

- Is it possible to zoom in/out a country map to see more detail level ?

- Is it possible to sort pilot's callsigns or by dest/dep ?

- Is it possible to change the country default map (Poland) ?

Thanks everybody for your help.

Eduardo Lockhart

SWD511 - Argentina

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

1. Not yet. See http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=18404

2. On the list of enhancements for the next version. Currently - no.

3. Sure! Check out http://www.vroute.net/content/view/62/44/

I'm having trouble with it though. I cannot enter my VATSIM ID because when I click on the 'Configuration' tab in the Info window, it does not take me to the Configuration window. So, any possible help you could give me with that I would appreciate.

Do tabs in other screens, i.e. route work OK?

Michal

vroute.net founder

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted

Do tabs in other screens, i.e. route work OK?

Michal

The other tabs also do not work. Please, tell me the solution.

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I will send you a link by email to check out.

Michal

vroute.net founder

David Saunders 818672
Posted
Posted

is there a way of installing the software on another PC without havnt to go through the registration process again.

non-discript self importance signature

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

No. On the contrary, if you use the same emails on both computers, the account will be recognized as the same one, and you won't have to link to VATSIM account again, create your friends list etc. - that's one of the main advantages of requiring a registration.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Kudos on a job well done. I was a little concerned about installing vroute on Vista 64 Bit but it installed and works like a charm.

I would like to add a few items or my wish list for enhancements that would be great if they were added to vroute so I could do away with ServInfo all together.

1. As others have indicated, a zoom feature for the on-line maps would be a big big plus.

2. Would it be possible to add SIDS and STARS to flight plans? (For Example, flying CYUL-CYYZ is always the CYUL5 SID and the SIMCO2 STAR.)

3. When booking a flight, would it be possible to file your flight plan at the same time as is the case when booking on-line via the Vatsim web site?

4. A lot of Vatsim pilots fly for a VA. With ServInfo, it is indicated what VA with a small graphic of what VA the pilot belongs to.

5. The ability to look up METARS for a certain airport.

It shows that a lot of work went into this project and I realize that none of this will be done over night, but please keep these ideas in mind for future developement. In the mean time, sit back and enjoy the moment. You certainly deserve it.

Regards,

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Marc,

1. Indeed it would be . I'm working on a temporary solution since the full-blown zoom&pan would be an overkill for the server.

2. Of course. You can edit any route and add SID/STARs yourself (subject to moderator approval).

3. No. See elsewhere on this subforum a topic about prefiling - it's a long story.

4. There's much, much more than that coming up. Stand by, please.

5. Will put it on my list of things to do.

And thanks for the kind words

Michal

vroute.net founder

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted
I will send you a link by email to check out.

Michal

Hi Michal,

I just want to thank you for the help you gave me. Unfortunately, like you, I was also unsuccessful in my attempts to find a solution to the problem I described, so I'll be unable to use your software for now. I hope that in the future, you will somehow be able to find a solution so that I can truly experience vRoute.

Thank you for your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.