You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Welcome to the screenshots forum - read this before posting

Ruth McTighe 824054

Stephen Richey 985064
Posted
Posted

I think this may have been what my friend I had lunch with the other day (a fellow flight simmer) was eluding to when he said the reason he doesn't use VATSIM is the people are "anal retentive". In regards to the controlling side of things, I don't agree....but I could see where the impression could stem from the way these forums are run at times. Personally I could give a flying rat's backside.....but it might turn some people away from the service.

ZLA Pilot Cert I-03

sigpic4332_2.jpg

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted
I think this may have been what my friend I had lunch with the other day (a fellow flight simmer) was eluding to when he said the reason he doesn't use VATSIM is the people are "anal retentive". In regards to the controlling side of things, I don't agree....but I could see where the impression could stem from the way these forums are run at times. Personally I could give a flying rat's backside.....but it might turn some people away from the service.
Stephen (nice name btw),

I disagree very much with you and your friend.

Personally, I find rules and laws very useful at keeping order and fairness, so long as they are enforced anyway. The longer that a rule goes unenforced, the sooner that rule becomes meaningless. Just as an example, look at America's illegal immigration problem. The laws were there, the enforcement was lacking.

In this case, I see Norman's reminder as a helpful nudge toward enforcement of existing rules, and therefore, a good thing.

Francis Shepherd 980238
Posted
Posted

My view comes somewhere in between that of the two Stephen's on that. I will say, however, that I find the general reiteration of rules posted in the same thread entirely unnecessary.

generate.php?mid=1235

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Francis,

Quite clearly the reitteration was needed. A number of threads had in excess of double the number of posts, with some images quite in excess of the limit asked.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Scott Smith 921136
Posted
Posted (edited)

The thing that is beginning to worry me, is that this forum area is now becoming a "web design" area. With people now taking requests to edit each others photos.

I thought the purpose of this forum was to show your best pictures that YOU took.

Now I see numerous designers doing the same pictures over and over again trying to out compete one another.

Don't know if anyone agrees with me, but it seems to be back tracking a bit.

Scott

(edited, typing errors :S)

Edited by Guest

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Scott,

That is one of the very reasons the rules were reitterated

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Tony Evans
Posted
Posted

Now I see numerous designers doing the same pictures over and over again trying to out compete one another.

Don't know if anyone agrees with me, but it seems to be back tracking a bit.

it's beginning to turn into a typical forum like FSW where people bitch (the only good word to use to the occasion) about each other and their photos...i saw it slowly happening and abandoned the screenshot forum as I don't wanna go there...I had it there, it wasn't here before and why should it...people truly are showing their best shots even if they have onboard graphics and they got jaggies everywhere...the idea seemed so great and yes in a way it was needed but now it's lost the inspiration it had

• 2 months later...
John Golin
Posted
Posted

Ruth / Norm...

There seems to be a lot of stupid critical chat creeping into the threads; telling people how to fly, degeneration to grammar nazis, nitpicking of irrelevant issues... basically a bunch of kids trying to show how much better they are by picking out all the errors or problems in others posts... not necessary IMO.

John

Kevin Tsai 1029796
Posted
Posted

So here are the rules for posting pics! I wonder why I didn't see that in the first place!

From now on, any pics more than 10 that I post will be posted on Flyaway, which is another Flightsim website.

Just to be sure that I'm following the rules, is that okay to post VATSIM pics on another website or will I be violating the rules?

• 9 months later...
Mikey Lyle 1052776
Posted
Posted

Being new to the General Screen Shots Forum I read Ruths listing of the rules. I just took it for granted that this is the way to do it!!.

I then read the posts. Posts 1 to 9 seem to be from fairly mature minds .

After Ruths thank you post, attitude started to go downhill and some of the posts seem to have arrived from some nursery school.

I have only made a couple of posts however I find all the pics interesting, all the critisism good fun, all the semi pro stuff clever, some of the comments

are really funny.

Going from the post dates it looks as though the children are fed up of moaning

So keep up the good work Ruth.

I WANT LOTS OF CRITICISM AND COMMENTS ON ANY FUTURE POSTS OF MINE

Mikey Lyle

Regards Mikey Lyle

MikeLyleSignature3.png

I have moved over to the dark side With Nikhil Kumar's adapted A318 and VASFMC G-EUNA and G-EUNB

• 6 months later...
James Flynn 1043500
Posted
Posted

may i post a picture from a different flight sim... it doesn't have vatsim but the pictures are so much better. i won't enter them into the competition or anything

Yusuf Pulatov 1054147
Posted
Posted

Im sure you can

[img]http://online.vatsimindicators.net/1054147/4730.png[/img]

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted
may i post a picture from a different flight sim... it doesn't have vatsim but the pictures are so much better. i won't enter them into the competition or anything

May I point out item 1 of the first post in this thread

1. Screenshots must be VATSIM related

Now we can't actually police that as there's no way to tell if a particular screenshot is VATSIM related, but this IS a VATSIM forum so we do rely on our members to use it as such. There are plenty of other forums on the internet where you can post non-VATSIM stuff.

Ruth

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

• 1 year later...
Eldon Phillips 1036177
Posted
Posted

Hi, i got a few pics blanked because of filesize, i dont know anything about editing pics ,um i just press print screen and save the pics in Paint.net and save and upload, helpsss

Joseph Sherrill 1047575
Posted
Posted

In paint.net, hit "Save As" and select .jpg as your file type. Then just adjust the compression ratio until you are under the limit. If you need to decrease the compression ratio below 95% or so, try resizing the image. (Anything lower than 95% and the compression starts to show)

wAYEh.png

• 7 years later...
Rauno Maisa 1018208
Posted
Posted

Is it somehow possible to ignore or not see a certain persons screenshots in this subforum?

Rauno Maisa 1018208
Posted
Posted

It's just that a lot of posts with similar or near same contents are cluttering my overall view of the forum and therefore it is really difficult to find new and meaningful content.

Rauno Maisa 1018208
Posted
Posted

Yes, I understand you. The issue for me is, that 80% of the topics in "General screenshot forum" are posted by the same individual and have provided next to no new input during the last 7 years. Other topics get lost between all of that.