You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How and what do i download to start flying?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Jeremy Williams 1020368

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

hey i just made my account and got my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. But now i dont know what to dowload or how to start flying. im totally clue less can anyone please explain everything in the simplest way to me?!??!

thanks

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

follow the link on the homepage that says "new pilots start here",

it really is well written,as even i could understand that

then come back if you have specific questions,

as we'll be happy to answer them

good luck!

Tom.

f1cert.gif

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

ok look. im totally cloueless this is my frist simulator game. i came to the website and made my account and go thte p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] word. and i looked at all the stuff but still i dont know what do download or how. if anyone could just give me a step by step process for me to look at to find out what im doing. so i start flying for once

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted
ok look. im totally cloueless this is my frist simulator game. i came to the website and made my account and go thte p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] word. and i looked at all the stuff but still i dont know what do download or how. if anyone could just give me a step by step process for me to look at to find out what im doing. so i start flying for once
Do you know how to fly? If you dont pick a lower traffic area to practice. Read the Pilot Resource Center. Its at the big New Pilots Start Here link on the main page. That will tell you what you need to know.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

ya but thats like a whole 500 page novel of stuff.... i mean cmon if i read that then thats gonna tell me how to fly? i just wanna download the thing first before i spend a day reading just to find out i cant download it

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted
ya but thats like a whole 500 page novel of stuff.... i mean cmon if i read that then thats gonna tell me how to fly? i just wanna download the thing first before i spend a day reading just to find out i cant download it
You can download squawkbox 3 at squawkbox.ca. This isnt an easy hobby. You cant just learn to fly overnight. We are all still learning something even some of those old 81xxxx folks.Try learning the control surfaces of the aircraft and then try some traffic patterns.Read the PRC I know its long but its worth it.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted
You can download squawkbox 3 at squawkbox.ca. This isnt an easy hobby. You cant just learn to fly overnight. We are all still learning something even some of those old 81xxxx folks.Try learning the control surfaces of the aircraft and then try some traffic patterns.Read the PRC I know its long but its worth it.

I can guarantee you some of us 81xxxx folks still learn something on this...

I will tell you this. Take the two or three days of reading the PRC and you will be happy you did. This ain't World of Warcraft...

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

omg man. im asking if i read it will it tell me exactly what and how to download everything i need. stop telling me to read the dang thing and just tell me what and how to download things.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

The PRC is indexed. It doesn't appear, from your comment that you read any of it. It doesn't tell you how to fly. You can study how to fly on your own. It tells you what software you need for connecting to VATSIM, where to download it, and the steps and procedures of what is allowed on VATSIM and how to do it.

You don't have to read every word, but you can at least take a look at the topics and start somewhere.

You mention download, if you looked at the software page you'll see in bold letters that explain "All you Need is" and tells you where to download.

In addition to what Mark said, this isn't Gamespy. This is an orderly environment, and if you read what it's about, you'll can have a very rewarding experience with VATSIM. You'll also find that it's not as complex as if might appear, if you get at least and academic start.

Read a chunk, and ask specific questions, and everybody will be glad to help you with any parts that is confusing to you. But by the time you review the PRC and start to put your question into words, I believe you'll be surprised at how much you would have already started to understand.

A lot of time was taking into organizing the PRC to make it easy for the users to follow and grasp what how to use the network.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

ok i read it and everything i tried is complicated and ends up not working. can u just help me. this isnt much of a helping place for u to just keep telling me read when thats what i do but thats not helping me.

Alfredo Pacheco Jr 966120
Posted
Posted

Ok . Here is a sorta step by step help.

1) To log onto VATSIM, download eaither Sqwuakbox or FSINN. IT's in the PRC. If not, then google it.

2) Read the instructions on how to install it properly. If need be, print out the instruction manual.

3) Once installed, test the program(SB3 or FSInn) and see if you can log in. Sqwuak Box 3 has an easy interface.*****WARNING:DO NOT CONNECT ONTO VATSIM ON AN ACTIVE RUNWAY> PLEASE SELECT AN AREA OFF THE RUNWAY FIRST*** Once you have logged in with no problems, then, you go to VATSIM.NET and skim thru the pilot PRC. And only select the topics that apply to you, like how to fly online, talking with ATC, and VFR flights.

If you run into any of these problems, please reply back, but with specific detail as to what it is you ran into that stopped you. And stay with one issue until it's resolved. If you have any other pc games, this shouldn't be to hard to do. The hardest part about all of this, is flying. Your best bet, is to log on, pick a spot away from the runway, and just listen to how everyone talks to each other. THen come back, and make another post. But, to make it easy, if it's a pilot related question, then post it in the pilot forum. If it's a ATC question, like talking to them, then your best bet it the ATC forum were all the ATC chat.

I don't know how much better to exlplain, than to copy and paste the instructions from each program onto here. WE can't all hold your hand and walk you thru all of this. We all had to learn on our own. It's hard, but if you take your time, you will be rewarded with so much knowledge, you'd be surpried. Just take it slow. THis place is not going anywhere, and there are always people to help.

61.png

vrs_supporter_black.gif

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

ok ive been trying to intsall this for almost 6 hours now. ok i go to the FSinn thingy and i downloaded copilot 1.6 and FSinn 1.2. but when i went to install it , it wouldnt let me. and by the way do i have to already have a flight simulator game to even do anything in vatsim?

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted
ok ive been trying to intsall this for almost 6 hours now. ok i go to the FSinn thingy and i downloaded copilot 1.6 and FSinn 1.2. but when i went to install it , it wouldnt let me. and by the way do i have to already have a flight simulator game to even do anything in vatsim?

Uh.....yes, that is the FIRST prerequisite.

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Posted
Posted

do you own a flight sim?

61.png

vrs_supporter_black.gif

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

uhh that could be my problem lol. what flight sim game is the best to use with vatsim?

Posted
Posted

AAAHHHH ..... .. It is up to you. Paper, or plastic. THere is Flight sim 9, FSX and X-plane. What you decided is up to you. If you want something easy and compatilble with so much stuff out there, and want tons of downloads and payware things, then FS9 or Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of FLight is what you want. Go with that first. FLy around before you log onto VATSIM so you understand how it all goes. THen run the FSSINN, all the other things you need to get online. Practice makes perfect. And FS9 comes with a good flight training instructor.

61.png

vrs_supporter_black.gif

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

ok so im going to go buy flight simulator 2004. then i download swuakbox? and then im set?

Posted
Posted

Yes. Just download and install sqwuakbox. THen just follow the instructions for setting up sqwuakbox. One ting that is importan is this. Once you buy and install flight sim, before you do anything else, please go to microsoft.com and look for the flight sim update. and install it. Then you do the rest.

One thing you will need to is something called FSUIPC. This program allows add-on software to work properly with FS9. It is free, but to unlock all the features, you will have to pay for a registration code. Many people have the free versiona nd run so many programs. But if you pay for it, you can tweak just about anything you want.

So, it's:

1) Install Flight sim, then the update from the microsft website.

2) Download and install FSUIPC. The freeware version, if you don't want to pay

3) Download either Sqwuakbox(easy to use) or FSInn(littlebit more advanced, better graphics)

4) Read the PRC on VATSIM, and learn what to expect. Quiz yourself

5) Log onto the server, and just listen. And listen.

6)Practive a little bit more, and when you are ready, breath in, out,a nd log in to request clearence for what ever adventure you are getting reaedy to do.

If you get stuck on anything. Just post it. And be specific so others can help you out as soon as they can, instead of asking so many questions to solve yours.

Best of luck

-Fredo

BTWm I got to head to work now, so I wont be able to reply till way later in the night

61.png

vrs_supporter_black.gif

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

ok tank you so much for your help

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
uhh that could be my problem lol. what flight sim game is the best to use with vatsim?

I would strongly recommend FSX.

Take a look at: http://flightsim.apollo3.com/blog/apoblog.pl?type=f&article=41 .

I could have typed so much more, but it would have ended up a giant book.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

what do i download on microsoft.com and why do u recommend FSX?

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
what do i download on microsoft.com and why do u recommend FSX?

In addition to the things mentioned in the link, Shared Skies. It adds a great addition to online flying. With all my experience with flying online, Saturday, I was flying on VATSIM with a new copilot (more experienced in VATSIM than I, though it was my session and I was the captain).

When ATC came online, I noticed my radio wouldn't transmit. I really don't like to type to ATC, and was rewarded with my copilot doing voice communication with ATC, while I managed the plane.

It's nice taking turns handling the plane, and having discussions why flying long trips. I never do a long haul, but even my normal KLAX-KSFO has a new and filled dimension.

On FS2004 I can easily get 50 FPS, however, I have my FSX locked on 15FPS and it looks like a smoother flight. For me, the default visual experience of a flight with FSX exceeds many FS2004 flights with pay addons. I'm sure when the addon developers catch up with the potential of FSX, the experience will be even more overwhelming.

It's fun being able to right click on the VATSIM traffic when at the gate (or in the air), and then following the other flights (with a click on the listed planes) while they take off and line).

There are many things to discover in FSX that I haven't seen discussed anywhere. That last part is one of them.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

so i buy and instal Flight Simulator X? Then i download Sqwuakbox? and then i start flying?

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
so i buy and instal Flight Simulator X? Then i download Sqwuakbox? and then i start flying?

I'm sure you'll be able to fly FSX with SB4 soon. But currently SB4 is in closed Beta. You'll the other of the two Windows Pilot Clients, FSInn.

But in essences, you buy your Flight Simulator, then everything else, such as your pilot client if free.

I'm sorry if my first messages didn't seem as helpful, but I though you already had minimum requirement, Flight Simulator.

With Flight Simulator the pilot client is currently limited to one. Take a look at:

Announcement: Installing FSInn

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=20466

This, as I mentioned in another thread in this area, will be added to the PRC shortly.

Looking forward to seeing you in the skies.

If you want to do a shared skies introductory flight, let me know when you get FSX, and I'll fly one with you. We can do a flight with the single prop Cessna. It's an easy starter plane. If you start out with something you can handled, it'll relieve having frustration while you work you way up.

The missions are a nice introduction to the flight world also. The missions in FSX is the Flight Lessons counterpart of FS2004.

By the way, all this is my personal impression of FSX. Many, as I mentioned in the article, complain about FSX, and feel they will stay with FS9 longer. But my personal impression is that they mistakenly don't give FSX a fair chance and miss all the many niceties that are built into this next generation of Flight Simulator.

Just as you'll have lots of help if you went with FS9, I'll be here and glad to help you with any problems you have with FSX. And as I mentioned in the article, I don't have any problems with it, and never did (I never had any problems with 2004 either).

I believe my computer is slightly below the average computer today. I look forward to upgrading some of the components soon.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Jeremy Williams 1020368
Posted
Posted

ok so i download flight sim. then i download FSinn and co-pilot or Sqwuak Box 3?