Range rings was commented before, but almost nobody use them, specially simulating european systems. By the way, with VRC are useful because you don't have leader vectors. ES don't need them, it has many advance tools that put range rings on the past. My humble opinion, Philip.

• 2 years later...

Now you've brought it back up, I work a small field outside CAS in the UK with mainly VFR traffic. No flight plan routes to resolve and no airspace map - range rings would be very useful (and realistic) but I realise this is a very uncommon use of the scope on VATSIM and I manage perfectly OK without them.

I saw the colour setting option in Symbology settings as well (I think it's always been there) and I once spent ages searching the settings for how to switch them on! I searched the wiki and found no reference to range rings!

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Range rings was commented before, but almost nobody use them, specially simulating european systems. By the way, with VRC are useful because you don't have leader vectors. ES don't need them, it has many advance tools that put range rings on the past. My humble opinion, Philip.

VRC does have leader vectors in the modes that have them in the real world.

For what it's worth, I use range rings to quickly judge the distance from an aircraft to the runway threshold when working approach or tower. Granted, there are other ways to do this, such as using tick marks in the sector file data.

The only reason I might suggest having them in ES is to more easily simulate additional real-world systems that use them.

Then again, might be better to just leave it to a plugin.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

CANscope doesn't have range rings. I would know for sure...

The only thing that our plugin does is put the tracking controller's ID above the radar position symbol (target). The rest is strictly predefined settings, profiles, views and sector files for 5 supported FIRs, along with updated data files and an ATIS voice pack.

By the way, our URL changed to http://canscope.vatcan.org recently.

Edit: It would not be realistic for us to show range rings unless you're simulating the epoch of slash/double slash screens... That's all they had actually...

>

The next version of TAAATSMod features optional range rings (like the real system, though hardly any controllers use them).

They can be anchored at a fixed location or float in the centre of the screen.

plugt.jpg

plug>

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to provide some quick and nasty circle drawing code to someone who wants to implement it in a plugin. But it is really very easy.

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

The one thing that comes close to rings in Canadian systems is halos. Halos are just like rings but they can be placed only around RPS (targets) or around the cursor (mouse).

As a trainee, I used the cursor halot often as a scale 'til I got used to the sector map etc.

I'ld greatly appreciate your source code Jake. I'll need a programmer too, willing to make it a stand-alone plugin. It wouldn't hurt to allow fixed halos in it...

The one thing that comes close to rings in Canadian systems is halos. Halos are just like rings but they can be placed only around RPS (targets) or around the cursor (mouse).

As a trainee, I used the cursor halot often as a scale 'til I got used to the sector map etc.

I'ld greatly appreciate your source code Jake. I'll need a programmer too, willing to make it a stand-alone plugin. It wouldn't hurt to allow fixed halos in it...

Shoot me an email detailing exactly what you want with the Halo's (size, colour, etc.) and I'll see what I can do. If all you want is a very simple plugin to draw a few circles, I should be able to quickly put one together for you. If not I'll send through the small section of code I use for my range rings.

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance there's a way to enable the range rings similar to VRC's feature? I find it to be a useful tool when controlling APP and it would be really nice to see ES have this feature that can be toggled under the display settings.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Here's a description how range rings are used by some (rare) of our controllers at the Montreal ACC.

The feature lets you put rings around one (or more) points on the screen (by click or named position) and set the number of rings and spacing. You can also chose to show the rings as arcs (by setting a from ° / to ° radials). This make things look much cleaner...

Now go ahead and sequence low level and fit them 5 miles in trail!

Any more free time Jake?

• 2 years later...
Why don't you make the color just a little brighter then the color below? EuroScope does not support transparency for map elements.

Tried that, but it is still colorful, the background is black and grey. I don't know if plugin is available, but it would be cool to have one.

Dante Nikolovski

Training Director at MACvACC

VATEUD Divisional Instructor

[email protected]