Will there be an Oshkosh event?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yarden...

If there hasn't been something in the works by now, it's not going to happen. Oshkosh has been simulated many times on VATSIM, and it really is a big event. With big events comes the necessity of big planning. It doesn't appear as though Chicago is at a point where they can handle the volume of traffic an Oshkosh event would generate. All that said, I'm not a member at ZAU, so I could be completely wrong. I know that thye're going through a major overhaul at the moment, and events are probably somewhere near the back burners. Hope this gives you a better answer to your question.

Something tells me that when OSH_12_TWR (or however many TWR controllers would be working the event) says:

"Blue high wing Cessna turning south over Rush lake, rock your wings"

would be tragically hilarious on this network.

Or, since this IS VATSIM:

"Blue A380 turning south over Rush lake, rock your wings" (since you know where would be more than one showing up in an event like that).

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Actually - there was an Osh Kosh event held about 5-7 years ago on the network which went fantastic.

People left the heavy iron at home, many of the expected rules went out the window, and everyone had an amazing time.

I buzzed up from one of the fields in chicago in a small cessna. ATC was available the entire way. When I checked in with the tower (there were about 4 of them) I was placed about #10 in the sequence. I ended up landing at the same time as another flib on the same runway, they had sort of split it so they could land someone on the first half and someone on the last half.

Ground was a complete comedy act - we were all taxiied onto the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] next to each other and then everyone sat around spotting virtual aircraft.

I got a chance to work some relief at tower for about 90 minutes while another controller took a break. The other controllers and pilots were all in the right frame of mind (for fun) and I have to say that everyone had a fantastic time.

It could be pulled of on Vatsim (again).

Of course - requires lots of planning like everything else

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

• Board of Governors

ZAU is not planning any official events at this time. We are going through a rebuilding structure. Many of our students are not yet tower certified and our radar controllers can be counted on one hand. I would love to arrange for this kind of event, but it isn't in the cards just yet. Join us for the Saturday Scramble this month and we'll see all of you on august 8th for FNO. This will be our triumphant return!

Matt Bartels
VP: Marketing & Communication
## vpmkt (at) vatsim.net
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Well regardless of ATC available or not, I'm flying to Oshkosh, and am staying all week to kinda simulate the actual airshow, hope others show up as well

Are you going to set up a tent in the back yard and only shower once or twice that week in order to get the full "Flying into Osh" experience simulation?

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Well regardless of ATC available or not, I'm flying to Oshkosh, and am staying all week to kinda simulate the actual airshow, hope others show up as well

Are you going to set up a tent in the back yard and only shower once or twice that week in order to get the full "Flying into Osh" experience simulation?

Sounds great!

ZAU is not planning any official events at this time. We are going through a rebuilding structure. Many of our students are not yet tower certified and our radar controllers can be counted on one hand. I would love to arrange for this kind of event, but it isn't in the cards just yet. Join us for the Saturday Scramble this month and we'll see all of you on august 8th for FNO. This will be our triumphant return!

The Osh Kosh event I was talking about was the type where no one worried about certification restrictions. We just let people control.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

• Board of Governors

Dennis, lets not turn this into yet another GRP battle. ZAU will not let controllers plug in at any position they are not qualified to work.

Matt Bartels
VP: Marketing & Communication
## vpmkt (at) vatsim.net
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

So I am really coinfused, or the GP was never resolved. I though anyone could control at a Non Major facility. You can do it at ZTL I know for sure.

However, the original question was, can an "outside" controller control at an ARTCC. Meaning, can a DC controller pug in at ZTL at a non major.

I would prefer a correct docomeentd answer rather than here say

WWW.VATUSA.NET Previous Management

New ATC Click Here

http://flightsimx.cyclops.amnesia.com.au/index.html