You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Triple display for side views- how to do it?

Antonio Palmieri

Shannon Mason 810297
Posted
Posted

I was also pretty sure that to SLI you needed a bridge cable plugged in between the two cards itself for SLI to work together? Many SLI cards (I have one too) have a spot at the top with gold fingers that you just slip a small plug over it and I suppose that goes to another card like it.

Well since FSC, ASv6 app itself and FSReal Time don't use graphics, as you said uses CPU perhaps I could get a matrox 2H/3H and up my FPS possibly, I don't mind using window mode, I prefer that with all my apps anyway and hopefully maybe I could setup a 2nd view without killing my frame rates.

• 8 months later...
marcus holmes
Posted
Posted
Matrox Triplehead 2 Go + TrackIR is the way to go

I think it would be possible to set up like you have noted with the DualHead, however this will lead to two things.

1) The view using the 2 monitors will yield a split right in the middle of your view.

2) Using both of the outputs from your card will drop you FPS a bit. I noticed when I went from 2 monitors to 3 monitors (using the matrox) I ended up gaining FPS like crazy since I wasn't using two outputs.

Benjamin

Has anyone got a 2monitor setup using the Matrox dualhead2go? I am interested to know if in 3d cockpit with IR Track that you will get the split in the middle (In the way) of the cockpit? Or is their a way to set it up the position of where you are seated in cockpit?

Joseph Jaster 932528
Posted
Posted

You don't even need DH2G to do that, I have FS going across two monitors (in both fullscreen and windowed) by using the nVidia control panel, ATI should have a similar function in the Catalyst Control Centre. For nVidia, open the nVidia Control Panel from the Windows one, under the 'Displays' tab, go to 'Set up Multiple Displays' and select 'One Large Horizontal Desktop' from the list, making sure you put the monitors on the correct side, otherwise it will be backwards, which gets very confusing

Unfortunately, you do get the split right in the middle, but if like me you avoid the 2D cockpit like the plague, you will get used to it; especially if you use TrackIR. Approaches can still be a bit tricky though due to the split, so you have to look slightly to the right or left to get the runway fully on one of the monitors..

4422.png

I1 - CZVR

Help controllers maintain their sanity; file a correct equipment code http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted

Thankyou Joseph

You have a very good point, i forgot about the second output on my graphics card, i will give that a try. You may have just saved me £130, If you are ever in my area i own you a beer

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

... Just as a side note, my performance increased quite a bit when I went from 2 monitors (using both outputs from my graphics card) to the Matrox TripleHead 2 Go. When I was running two monitors only - FPS took a big hit. For what ever reason managing two separate monitors versus one really wide resolution take more effort.

I didn't like the seam in the middle. It drove me crazy on final approach. Love my 3H2Go + TrackIR

Keep us posted.

Benjamin.

FSE.gif

ASUS P8P67 Pro | 2600k @ 4.7 | eVGA 460 GTX | 8 GB RipJaw | Matrox 3H2Go

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted

I am thinking about buying a large widescreen monitor (22") and using that as my main display and then having my standard 19" next to it, maybe that will put the seam more towards the side, but i am unsure how easy that will be to set up without the 3D cockpit looking distorted.

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Could be totally wrong here, but I believe the reason that you lose a ton of performance using the dual output on the video card versus a Dual/Triple Head2Go is that with the dual output the vcard has to do two entirely separate renders of the game, essentially doubling the load on the video card, whereas since the Dual/TripleHead2Go mimics a single monitor, the card is only doing one set of renders at a time, albeit at a much wider resolution.

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

That's my understanding as well... more or less you have doubled the processing.

It was something that was too tasking for my system. I was relieved when the Matrox kicked it all back down.

FSE.gif

ASUS P8P67 Pro | 2600k @ 4.7 | eVGA 460 GTX | 8 GB RipJaw | Matrox 3H2Go