You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

** URGENT VATUSA Website **

Scott Bickford

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
am i in the right year? is it 2006 already?

That's the NEW expiration date. The domain was re-registered for another year by this Colleen person. The only way we'll get it back is if the previous domain owner contacts her and asks for the domain back, and she is nice enough to oblige. Or, if she renewed it on purpose on our behalf, and just hasn't configured it to point to the right DNS servers yet. I can't say I'm optimistic that that is the case.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Scott Bickford

• Tyler Devereaux 816023

• Lance Williams

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 12 posts

• Scott Bickford

Scott Bickford 8 posts

• Tyler Devereaux 816023

Tyler Devereaux 816023 7 posts

• Lance Williams

Lance Williams 6 posts

Popular Days

• Jul 22 2005

22 posts

• Jul 21 2005

19 posts

• Jul 23 2005

9 posts

• Jul 19 2005

7 posts

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
am i in the right year? is it 2006 already?

I believe enom is / was (?) used by the host and according to support the "Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED " just needs to be "unlocked" by Jeff and then he can fix it. I thought I read something about 30 day period for him to renew, but I could be mistaken.

Usually when the domain is in that 30 day locked period, it will still show the old expiration date. (July 2005) Since the domain now shows a new expiration date, it seems that it has already been renewed by someone else (Colleen) unfortunately.

Tyler Devereaux 816023
Posted
Posted

Scott I just realized something that you might want to know, but it'd be dangerous posting it in this forum. Is there a private way I can reach you?

Tyler "T" Devereaux

VATUSA-816013-Controller

Scott Bickford
Posted
Posted
Scott I just realized something that you might want to know, but it'd be dangerous posting it in this forum. Is there a private way I can reach you?

sure scottbickford(@)yahoo(.)com

Scott Bickford

810789.png

810789.png

Robin Goodchild 928027
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I did a domain regsitration look-up, and the domain expired July 17th, 2005 - it needs re-registering. Any URL that includes the domain name "vatusa.org" will fail. AFAIK (although this seems to vary) the domain name is reserved for a period of time to the last registrant in the event they still want it (i.e. a company). During this time, someone else can register it, but if the previous registrant also re-registers it, they get it again. If they do not, and the new registrant is not "challenged", then after this time, the previous registrant has to wait until such time as it is either released, or expires and is up for renewal again.

Best regards,

Robin.

Banner_MJC16.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hi Robin, I believe whatever domain lookup service you used is accessing slightly old data. The domain was renewed already, a couple days ago. It now expires in July of next year. What's unknown is whether or not the new owner (Colleen Donahue) will be willing to "give it back" to someone on the VATUSA staff.

Jim Johnson 814050
Posted
Posted
Hi Robin, I believe whatever domain lookup service you used is accessing slightly old data. The domain was renewed already, a couple days ago. It now expires in July of next year. What's unknown is whether or not the new owner (Colleen Donahue) will be willing to "give it back" to someone on the VATUSA staff.

[speculation]

"She" won't, because "she" holds a grudge against VATUSA... and "she" isn't really a "she"

[/speculation]

Jim Johnson

VP - Membership (VATGOV12)

j.johnson(at)vatsim.net

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That would certainly suck. I'm glad that's just speculation, and I hope that if Colleen is in fact a domain squatter, that she will quickly realize that this organization has no money and she most likely won't make any money by snaggin the domain. Hopefully she won't try to sell it to some unscrupulous company that just wants to try to get site visitors based on the popularity of the domain ...

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted (edited)

**edited**

Edited by Guest

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Tyler Devereaux 816023
Posted
Posted

Welp. Some people live & learn (and thus grow up/mature/etc). Some people just live.

Tyler "T" Devereaux

VATUSA-816013-Controller

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That's just pathetic. Shame on "her".

Robin Goodchild 928027
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Yeah - when I checked it last it had updated - to July 17th, 2006.

To have registered that domain within a day or two of its expiry date is rather suspect to me, especially when these things aren't instant. I don't think we'll be getting this one back for at least another year.

Has anyone initiated contact with Ms. Colleen Donahue?

EDIT: Has anyone initiated contact with [speculation][alias]"Ms. Colleen Donahue"[/alias][/speculation]? From the sound of the post above, it appears you [speculation]might know who [alias]"she"[/alias] is?[/speculation]

Best regards,

Robin.

Banner_MJC16.png

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Well, fortunately it's just a "Domain Name" and the information at the actual site doesn't change. Just register a new name, learn from the renewal mistake and move on. VATSIMUSA.NET & VATSIMUSA.ORG are available right now.

Just register a name and you are good to go (as I'm sure you already are). Let Tyler (oops did I say that) play is stupid games all he wants. We still have our resource no matter what the name is we type into our browser window.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted
Let Tyler

Guess again.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I still think we should just use subdomains under vatsim.net. Only one domain to worry about renewing. Perhaps there's politics preventing that from happening, which would also be unfortunate.

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Sub domains is a good idea, but I can also see why they would be reluctant to do it as well. Storage space, bandwidth issues, and then having every single division on one server is kind of scary as well, no matter how much backup there is.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

I love the conspiracy theories.

ELVIS STOLE IT!

Matthew Merkey 936144
Posted
Posted
Sub domains is a good idea, but I can also see why they would be reluctant to do it as well. Storage space, bandwidth issues, and then having every single division on one server is kind of scary as well, no matter how much backup there is.

A subdomain doesn't have to be on the same server. It can been configured to point to just about anything, be it a local folder on the same server, or the IP address of a completely different server. The best part is it can all be transparent to the end-user.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Well, fortunately it's just a "Domain Name" and the information at the actual site doesn't change. Just register a new name, learn from the renewal mistake and move on. VATSIMUSA.NET & VATSIMUSA.ORG are available right now.

Just register a name and you are good to go (as I'm sure you already are). Let Tyler (oops did I say that) play is stupid games all he wants. We still have our resource no matter what the name is we type into our browser window.

As someone already mentioned, It's more than likely NOT Tyler. he doesn't have the testicular fortitude to do something like this. But, to go along with the conspiracy theories, I think it is who people think it is.

As for the domain name, yes, it is just a name, but there is more to it than just that. For as long as VATUSA has had the domain, has Google and all the other webcrawlers cached information from the site. so there are links from a dead site that we don't even know existed, floating out in the world. I'd think it would be better to get the domain taken care of (as in, get it back) than recreate the wheel.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Robin Goodchild 928027
Posted
Posted

None of that would be an issue - DNS is a totally seperate system from any web server etc. that you may be using.

What would be issue is the owner of the primary domain allowing the existance of sub-domains (or not, as the case may be).

I think it would make a lot of sense to do this, as it is all related to VATSIM.

Best regards,

Robin.

Banner_MJC16.png

Scott Bickford
Posted
Posted

I'd appreciate it if people stayed on topic. I went off topic previously, but let's keep this thread to just people having problems and the resolution thereof.

Scott Bickford

810789.png

810789.png

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

rub my belly

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

None of that would be an issue - DNS is a totally seperate system from any web server etc. that you may be using.

What would be issue is the owner of the primary domain allowing the existance of sub-domains (or not, as the case may be).

I think it would make a lot of sense to do this, as it is all related to VATSIM.

Best regards,

Robin.

How about this.

In talking to the powers that be at VATSIM, why not have whoever is the technical contact for the vatsim.net domain create an A record that has vatusa.vatsim.net listed at the 208.x.x.x address that is the VATUSA website? That way, you have an alternate way of getting to the site, at least on a temporary basis, until the whole vatusa.org registration fiasco is taken care of?

For example, in vatsim.net's zone in their primary/secondary DNS:

vatusa             IN             A      208.x.x.x

change the serial (date + revision), reload the primary and secondary DNS, and we have vatusa.vatsim.net all set to go.

Comments?

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Brad, isn't this what we've been suggesting? (Subdomain)

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Brad, isn't this what we've been suggesting? (Subdomain)

Sort of. From what I've seen so far, some of the suggestions had been to register a new domain altogether (vatsimusa.net, vat.us, etc.) and throw everything over there. That, of course, would cost money. Doing it with vatsim.net's DNS entry would be the cleanest, and cost nothing in terms of domain name registration.

Other than that, it'd be the same.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller