You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sector File Creater Program

Andrew Miller 873677

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

Navigraph may construe the use of their data in your program as the data being distributed to multiple users without appropriate license, and thus deny you its use.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Evgeny Vygornitsky

• Andrew Miller 873677

• Miguel Frias

• Anthony Baker 1080999

Top Posters In This Topic

• Evgeny Vygornitsky

Evgeny Vygornitsky 12 posts

• Andrew Miller 873677

Andrew Miller 873677 11 posts

• Miguel Frias

Miguel Frias 9 posts

• Anthony Baker 1080999

Anthony Baker 1080999 8 posts

Popular Days

• Feb 24 2010

8 posts

• Sep 23 2010

8 posts

• Mar 22 2010

6 posts

• May 17 2014

5 posts

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted
Navigraph may construe the use of their data in your program as the data being distributed to multiple users without appropriate license, and thus deny you its use.

I see that. I'm not sure what the best option is. How are people creating sector files now?

Andrew Miller

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

I see that. I'm not sure what the best option is. How are people creating sector files now?

Unfortunately, the "hard" way - looking at instrument approach procedures, SIDs, STARs, etc. as that information is disseminated by the FAA/governing authorities and making changes by hand - at least in my facility!

Anyone with a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing knowledge of perl or even basic search pattern scripting could easily convert Navigraph's data; most of the data files are unencrypted plain text. That, unfortunately, is not the hurdle!

Dhruv Kalra

878508.png878508.png

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately, the "hard" way - looking at instrument approach procedures, SIDs, STARs, etc. as that information is disseminated by the FAA/governing authorities and making changes by hand - at least in my facility!

Anyone with a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing knowledge of perl or even basic search pattern scripting could easily convert Navigraph's data; most of the data files are unencrypted plain text. That, unfortunately, is not the hurdle!

Very true. I of course could not package something like that with my program. In any case, I think having a GUI to edit some elements will be beneficial.

Andrew Miller

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

I would directly ask Navigraph what they would suggest. At least to inform them that you are to use the FSNavigator or whatsoever format of their updates.

I am sure an AIRAC-import function is great deal to the sector file creators. Although not in charge with sector file creating, I highly appreciate your work!

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted
I'm thinking the best way to have the most recent data is to do an AIRAC import, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about this. Should I contact Navigraph to determine if they want to add another format for my application, or should I go off of one that already exists?

The same source I referred you to for airport layouts also includes a regularly-updated set of navaids and waypoints, so that would essentially be the AIRAC you're looking for. There's one file for fixes (RNAV and non-RNAV) and one file for everything else.

Data Download - File format description

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

X-Plane's airport and navdata, unfortunately, rely on user submitted updates and the navigational data is often incomplete. Thus I would caution against relying on it to be accurate enough for ATC use.

Dhruv Kalra

878508.png878508.png

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Andrew,

Kyprianos mentioned GroundMaker (by Corey Wirun) earlier in this thread, which used to work fine with FS9 and WinXP.

If anyone knows of an updated version, this could at least be a stepping stone for many of us who have "upgraded" to Win7 or Vista, using FSX.

I have been trying lately to create sector ground-layouts with the old v1.1 and my present OS and MSFS, but with no luck The rationale for trying this with FSX is merely the fact that the default sceneries are more accurate in FSX than in FS9 (at least as far as I can tell).

So, if you manage to fill the gap, I am sure you will have a very happy flightsim community to applaude you

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC

• 1 month later...
Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

bump

Hows it going? There's another graphic sector file editor program out there but the guy stopped development of it and ground maker doesn't work too well on vista/FSX

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted
bump

Hows it going? There's another graphic sector file editor program out there but the guy stopped development of it and ground maker doesn't work too well on vista/FSX

I have a start that displays some sector data in C++ and the Qt framework for cross platform, but I think I'm going to switch back to VB. Raffael Walther recently released his sector file editor tool under the GPL license so this allows me to expand his work.

Andrew Miller

• 3 months later...
Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

Any updates I'm looking foRward to it

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Our sectors files were redrawn by me using Google Earth. The KML produced by it is then post-processed by a small program to convert it into .SCT format

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted
Our sectors files were redrawn by me using Google Earth. The KML produced by it is then post-processed by a small program to convert it into .SCT format

Miguel

What is this post program? I have been looking to use GE.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

It was developed by me using a language that many freak out with: Tcl

Miguel Frias

1107190.png1107190.png

Andrew Wolcott 814793
Posted
Posted

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

I prefer notepad myself.

• 4 weeks later...
Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted

Well, I'm still looking for any ideas out there. Where do most people get their information from to create a sector file? If you were to just draw everything from hand, that would be too much work.

Andrew Miller

Cameron Negrete
Posted
Posted
Well, I'm still looking for any ideas out there. Where do most people get their information from to create a sector file? If you were to just draw everything from hand, that would be too much work.

once you get efficient at drawing stuff google earth, it really takes no time at all. I knocked out KFFZ, which has tons of buildings any taxiways out in a little under 4 hours on google earth. If you would like send me a pm and ill send you the kml file and how i organized it.

Cameron

ZMP_FE

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted

How did you convert the KML to .sct2? I'm looking to develop an application that makes it a little easier to develop sector files.

Andrew Miller

Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

Bgl to sct2 for airport diagrams

And IDK for sids/stars

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

7664.png

Cameron Negrete
Posted
Posted

use the above program Andrew Wolcott posted, and notepad++. Organize the path's and taxiways in google earth by using something like [1] for the names and use notepad++ replace fuction and replace [1] with the color. that conversion tool spits out the path name in the color field, so if you use the replace and do something that makes it different from the coordinates format, it should take all of 2 mins to spit out a groundmap.

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted

I don't think .blg's would be what people want, since it is several years old (as old as the flight sim).

Andrew Miller

Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

Unless they are new and updated bgls

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

7664.png

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Ok... I have finally converted my tool to web format to enable people to upload the sector file and have it converted online.

Here is the link for the tool:

http://fs.mine.nu/euroscope/design/

There is a small tutorial which explains the requirements so that things get displayed properly. If you have any doubts let me know. Please note this is very "beta", since I have tested it quickly with a few KMZ files.

Miguel

Miguel Frias

1107190.png1107190.png

• 4 weeks later...
Arjun Murthy 1051343
Posted
Posted

There are two programs in here (http://www.avsimrus.com/f/for-flight-controllers-20/) called af2sct and sctdraw that looks interesting. I haven't tested them yet but it certainly seems like it does what is asked.

I also use the Google KML with that file (KZNY one) mentioned a few posts ago to turn it into .sct format