You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

To the newbie - First Time Jitters

Thomas Parker

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted
running X-Plane 10 on my iMac with no problems. Have Squawkbox and IvAp installed, but haven't gotten online yet...don't care for the internal speakers...going for the headset. Can't get over how friendly and helpful contributors to this forum are! Makes this 'hobby' so much more enjoyable.

Hi if you have IVAP installed does that mean your a member of IVAO?

If so I better let you into a secret, this is VATSIM. You can join us if you wish it ain't a problem.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wycliffe Barrett

• Robert Shearman Jr

• Thomas Parker

• Johan Grauers

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wycliffe Barrett

Wycliffe Barrett 47 posts

• Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr 31 posts

• Thomas Parker

Thomas Parker 24 posts

• Johan Grauers

Johan Grauers 18 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 17 2005

19 posts

• Jan 3 2021

12 posts

• Aug 18 2010

11 posts

• Feb 14 2006

9 posts

Popular Posts

Thomas Parker

I was just reading the other thread, "New to this Simulation and Forums".   Andras Kiss wrote:   Oh man... me too. When I found VATSIM, I was completely stoked about trying it out. It sounded e

Tobias Dammers

Totally. You can even take it a step further and anticipate the clearance you will get - it always comes in the same form ("{your callsign}, you are cleared to {destination} via the {SID} departure, [

Wycliffe Barrett

Sadly all my cats are long gone. We now have a Labradoodle called Frank. he is the biggest friendliest labradoodle in the world. here is with my wife last weekend   

Posted Images

Harley Gordon 1216962
Posted
Posted

flying on vatsim now. Just having difficulties understanding how to read the navigation charts and route terminology(?) Probably trying to do too much too fast!

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
flying on vatsim now.
Harley, welcome to the VATSIM forums! I'm not sure you are flying on the VATSIM network though, if you're using IvAp. That's the pilot client for a different network, IVAO, and AFAIK it won't get you connected to the VATSIM network.
Just having difficulties understanding how to read the navigation charts and route terminology(?) Probably trying to do too much too fast!
There's plenty of help available with that. Follow Richard's advice, a few posts up!
Does seem like a lot of material to learn just to fly
You don't know the half of it! Try getting a real world licence and then compare that workload with what you need for virtual flying. The difference I suppose is that you CAN learn as much as a real world pilot if you want, but in RW you actually need to know it all, whereas in a virtual environment, as a pilot, you can decide yourself what you want to learn.

Enjoy this fascinating hobby!

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Harley Gordon 1216962
Posted
Posted

Alistair, I know you are right about obtaining a 'real' pilots license.... already tried---too expensive and much too much paperwork! Looked at the sites you mentioned and they will help. Just one question...How much do we (I) need to know just to fly with Vatsim online without causing too many problems, and is there a possibility that online instruction can be obtained ( fly with me????)? That question [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ures you of my Newbie status

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

also dont forget you dont need to learn everything right away. everything can be done at your own pace.

what you need to practice are the things that you will need right away to get you where you need to go. flying headings, altitudes, following instructions from controllers and knowing your limit (dont be afraid to say "unable" when you dont know something, hurts you more if you try to pretend you know something and then do it wrong), etc..

SID's and STAR's can require more advanced technique depending on the type of procedure.

there are resources available tho to help you learn all this like the ZLA program mentioned earlier. theyll start you off small and work you up. there is also the new VATSIM ratings program, altho technically still in its infancy, its growing and you'll eventually be able to find advanced training in the ATO program.

i also highly recommend taking the flightsim training tutorials that come with MSFS. the King's really did do a great job with those and there is a wealth of information there thats often overlooked.

Harley Gordon 1216962
Posted
Posted

thank's for your help. Just talking to someone eases the anxiety . I, along with other newbies, just want to enjoy this hobby without looking stupid and causing problems for all concerned. Have made one flight and the ATC online (Louis Armstrong- New Orleans) was extremely helpful by acknowledging my lack of navigational skills and bringing me down to a safe landing using novice terms! For all you veteran pilots, keep communicating with us beginners, for the anxiety [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with 'screwing up' is all we really need to overcome....."and I'm getting this from reading other forums".

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
(Louis Armstrong- New Orleans)

Ah, good old Satchel Mouth.

Anyway, you never told us if you are using IvAo or not! Tell us what software you are using. Maybe your Satchmo is a virtual ATCO from the Other Side… Instead of saying "Virtual 253, report your position" he might say "Well, Hello, Dolly!"

Sorry, couldn't resist that!

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
Just one question...How much do we (I) need to know just to fly with Vatsim online without causing too many problems, and is there a possibility that online instruction can be obtained

I didn't actually answer these questions - but Richard did, and I suggest again that you take his advice. But here's the nub of the matter:

What do you actually NEED to know to fly online? Basically, don't connect to the network while on a runway or taxiway. Do your best to comply with ATC instructions, but if you can't, for any reason, say "unable" and ATC will try to find a way round your problem - they have full training, unlike most pilots on VATSIM at the moment. Do your own work on this - until you enroll in a pilot training programme, you can't be sure that you won't get things totally wrong, which ATC are used to, but they really prefer not to have to engage in that process if they are very busy. But they will do their best. You can reduce that workload by clueing yourself up.

And you are an educationist - so treat this environment as a learning experience, since that is how it is set up. At your age you are able to understand that you, as the learner, are in control of your learning.

Alistair Thomson

===

Harley Gordon 1216962
Posted
Posted

Alistair, thanks for the lesson.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
Alistair, thanks for the lesson.

I read that as sarcasm, sorry. I AM trying to help. Where did I get it wrong here?

Alistair Thomson

===

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted
Where did I get it wrong here?

You didn't, Alistair, at least in this instance. I agree with what you said here,

don't connect to the network while on a runway or taxiway. Do your best to comply with ATC instructions, but if you can't, for any reason, say "unable" and ATC will try to find a way round your problem

Sound advice that many, sad to say, oft times "younger" virtual pilots (or at least appearing "younger") don't take to heart.

You left out be as familiar with the systems of the aircraft you are flying as you possibly can be, i.e., "fly".

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Bendik Krogsen 1201392
Posted
Posted

Trying to fly now but the Ground Controller at ENGM doesnt seem to notice I have tried to contact him 7 times on chat.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if you are in the air, you dont need to be in contact with ground. or are you on the ground? also are you trying to use private chat or text coms through the controllers frequency. private chats tend to be ignored by some if they are doing something else. better to try and reach them via text com's.

i see ENGM is fully staffed right now, so if you are in the air, i'd double check who it is you are supposed to be calling, its going to be approach if you were handed off from enroute or starting the approach phase of flight, or tower if you are on final.

if you are on the ground and the controller isnt responding, tune to the tower controller or clearance and tell them you are unable to reach the controller on text, theyll let him know to look at his text comms if hes not paying attention

Bendik Krogsen 1201392
Posted
Posted

I was on ground, cleared by Delivery for IFR TO EDDF, he eventuall anwsered after I used a broken mic to make contact trying to get him to Text.

• 1 year later...
Willis Chong
Posted
Posted

I've always wanted to post this but the forums were down for the past week so...

Although I joined since March, I only flew in fully uncontrolled airspace. I flew my first flight under ATC coverage just 2 weeks ago, from Sydney back to my home base in Singapore with an A380. I was so scared to press the PTT button that I was stuck on the ground 30 minutes after my filed departure time. And finally I did it - I requested my clearance. I had a piece of paper so I took down everything I had to read back (I even remembered I had a nice squawk code, 4040), then asked for push and start, followed by taxi. Thankfully my gate was near the taxiway parallel to the departure runway so my taxi instructions were simple, and I had no problems. I got clearance to take off and I did, that's where problems came in.

At first I forgot to squawk mode C, then when the approach controller told me to follow my SID and climb to FL240, I panicked because it was too fast for me to take down. As I asked for him to say again, I turned my heading knob mindlessly, causing me to almost go off course. My SID was "Katoomba One", but I totally forgot it's full name so I read back as "Kat One". He read back my callsign then I went "go ahead", then he told me it's the Australian phraseology to say the callsign when the read back is correct. How embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing...

Shortly after that I went back into an uncontrolled airspace and flew with UNICOM until the Melbourne Centre came online. He [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned me another squawk code 3261 and I read back correctly, but for some reason my mind changed it to 9261 as I was entering it into the transponder which was obviously wrong, so I asked for my code again which, in my panic attack, asked for it in a wrong manner. I went like, "Sorry, Melbourne Centre, Singapore 9232 heavy can I request for my squawk code again?" Another embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing moment, luckily the controller didn't say anything much about that and told me my squawk code again.

I was back on UNICOM again after 3 hours as I entered Asia. I was looking at Vattastic 45 minutes before my arrival and noted that Singapore had no controllers online.

I flew my STAR and turned into final for the runway. Suddenly I received a contact me from the WSSS tower controller! I kept myself calm and was cleared to land. The landing roll was smooth, and I turned out of one of the rapid exits. I was given taxi instructions which I couldn't take down because it was too fast, so I told him to say again thrice, until he used text to tell me. After that I missed my [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned gate because I was in panic attack again and I couldn't read my chart properly, so I ended up parking at a gate next to my [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned one. The controller had no problems with it so phew... Embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing though.

Also on I sounded muffled over the mic which I didn't notice until my friend told me as he was listening to me as an observer, should have asked for a radio check. I've since adjusted my mic so I sounded better.

It was fun to have ATC around! After that all my flights are done online, except the ones which I have to leave my PC alone during the flight.

Now I want to apply to be a controller so that more people can enjoy the fun in Southeast Asia.

Kevin Yang
Posted
Posted
He read back my callsign then I went "go ahead", then he told me it's the Australian phraseology to say the callsign when the read back is correct. How embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing...

This I wouldn't have known, either, as I'm more accustomed to flying in the United States, so this one would have gotten me as well....and I've been flying on VATSIM for a while. This one I wouldn't worry too much about.

Captain Kevin

8e9bfe368edaef204bfa6a1373fc6422.jpg

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

Don't worry about it, I find that new pilots often get really stressed about simple things like this when actually most of the time it doesn't really matter. Sure if it's really busy it's extra work but on a normal evening having to give a squawk twice isn't really something that annoys me. Besides, it happens to everyone, even the professionals!

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

• 2 weeks later...
Cathal Boyce
Posted
Posted
Don't worry about it, I find that new pilots often get really stressed about simple things like this when actually most of the time it doesn't really matter. Sure if it's really busy it's extra work but on a normal evening having to give a squawk twice isn't really something that annoys me. Besides, it happens to everyone, even the professionals!

Definitely agree with Johan, while i was controlling EIDW yesterday there was a new pilot flying in, he was getting quite worked up about all the information i was giving him, but, if the controller stays calm, it re[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ures the pilot. Having your first flight is probably the one you receive the most knowledge from and it, hopefully, will help the pilot enjoy the flight and fly again if the controller is kind and calm.

Just my thoughts,

Best regards,

Cathal

Cathal Boyce
ACCIRL1 | VATéir Director 
VATSIM Network Supervisor
VATEUD Divisional Examiner (I3)

• 1 month later...
Adrian Chitan 1076798
Posted
Posted

Hi guys.

I want to tell you about my first encounter with a busy airport (yesterday evening). It was my fourth flight in VATSIM and I got cocky. But first let me tell you my setup:

FCS: HOTAS Warthog + Saitek pedals

Software: ActiveSky 2012, AivlaSoft EFB, FSX w/ PMDG 737 & 777 (also have the Airbus Extended)

Nav data: 1309 (aug-sep 2013)

For this flight I thought to take a TNT Airways B777F from LROP (I am from Romania) to Gatwick with a full load (told you I got cocky). I also usually engage the auto failure feature with 5 failures in 10 hours, but for this flight I put it to 3 in 10. After an eventless cruise I got to Belgium and the CTR gave me clearance to start the approach. The approach was beautiful, every ATC position on the way to Gatwick was manned (as I heard is always the case with London region, that's why I chose it). They gave me new levels to achieve at specific fixes, headings to follow temporarily, they even changed my initial STAR approach. To my surprise I followed the directions perfectly (I guess it helps to know the plane ) and captured the localizer getting ready to capture the glide slope (the weather was horrible). And then all hell broke loose. When the glide slope was captured I pressed the APP autopilot button and nothing happened. I was counting on a auto-landing but, hey, bad things can happen. I got my hands on the FCS, disengaged the autopilot and started to pilot the plane. Again, nothing happened. My FCS crashed and I had no control. I know I could have used the mouse but it was to late. I crashed near Gatwick while trying to restore my FCS for a missed approach. I am still depressed about this because everything was aOK.

And now the question: is anyone else having a problem with his/her FCS? It doesn't happen every time but sometimes if I change windows while flying FSX the entire FCS disconnects without any prompt and with no way of fixing it. I found that given enough time, the FCS will recover but if you're on final, fat chance.

Luckily today my tablet will be here and I'll be able to run the EFB from it so I don't have to change windows that often.

Cheers everyone,

Adrian

Thomas Parker
Posted
Posted

This thread has been running 8 years. I would have never guessed. When I originally posted, I was indirectly asking for re[Mod - Happy Thoughts]urance even though it sounded like I was offering advice. I was nervous as all get-out. I needed to know that I wasn't the only one. It seems kinda silly now, but it was quite real then.

Things have changed. With kids, a house, and all the responsibility that comes along with that, I don't get on nearly as much as I used to. But after 2500 hours on here, I still love logging in and drilling holes in the virtual skies.

Jason Obrien 1267556
Posted
Posted

after years of flight simming, i found vatsim and couldnt be happier. Ive never flown online or anything so i thought i was in good shape. Im not sure where i ended up but when i logged in to the server it was nice and quiet and was getting ready for take off. All of a sudden there was a 777 or such, then there was another and another. i started feeling crowded and such as i was in a cessna..lol I contaced ground and he told me that in pm that i picked a bad night for a learning flight because it was a huge fly in night.. needless to say, ill have to check on the fly ins before i just show up..lol i stayed around for a while to listnen in, but left about 20 min later.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

That's how it starts, Jason...this addiction to VATSIM. Sitting on the ground just listening to the exchanges and getting a feel for the expectations and language and flow.

Soon, you cannot stand it any longer and with some trepidation you file a plan and get that first clearance. You're hooked. Though he or she may be handling many aircraft, for that moment it is just you and them. There's no turning back. Pilots are now watching as you taxi and they are maintaining separation, treating you as an equal. Now you just gotta fly...so you do and then again, and again, and again.

It may sound trite, but I wish every flight I have made could be just like my first one. I was scared, thrilled, nervous, excited, worried...and grinning from ear to ear. It's like no other.

Welcome to this drug called VATSIM...and it's completely legal

(And thanks Thomas for starting thread all those years ago. It's the one place I always check every site visit.)

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

• 3 weeks later...
Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

It may sound trite, but I wish every flight I have made could be just like my first one. I was scared, thrilled, nervous, excited, worried...and grinning from ear to ear. It's like no other.

That is so very true. I think we all can remember that first flight vividly.

Colin Schoen

VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

PJ Fiske 994529
Posted
Posted

Thanks to Thomas for starting this thread 8 years ago (about the time I think I joined VATSIM)....it immediately put my mind and nerves at ease. I see the word "addiction" used in these forums and agree completely. Even after 8 years some of my family and friends still don't get it but they all continually ask about it or want to "be in the cockpit with me" when I fly. Guess I need to have more VATSIM friends.

Friends is the operative word here. Since that very first flight, I've developed some great online friendships. Some of them have extended to in person, some not. But the common "ground" in the skies is something we all share a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ion for. Some folks I only see online once a year - but I still consider them 'friends"...

Good times and bad times sometimes but just like any family......its all good stuff. We all just want to fly or ATC and have fun.

I thank my VATSIM colleagues, fellow pilots for sharing the skies and to all the ATC folks who work to make this what it is...THANK YOU. And to those behind the scenes of VATSIM and all the VAs, too often credit goes unnoticed....I salute you.

I am continually amazed at the greatness that has been created here.

Lastly, to the newbies, a place we have all been....welcome....you are among friends.

PJ Fiske

VATSIM 994529

Cole Rees 1245621
Posted
Posted

Well i have yet to do my first flight! I went in once and I saw some guy go pro while I sat in the corner gate of an airport. I watched and listened to him and just logged out of shame that I knew I had no chance of doing that good!