You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

CPDLC, ACARS

Erik Wachters

John Golin
Posted
Posted

Hoppie;

FYI the link on your site is to Alpha 3 while the link in ht eforum here is Alpha 4.

Cheers

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers 8114

• John Golin

• Andreas Fuchs

• Erik Wachters

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers 8114

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers 8114 37 posts

• John Golin

John Golin 14 posts

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 13 posts

• Erik Wachters

Erik Wachters 9 posts

Popular Days

• Aug 31 2010

15 posts

• Aug 22 2010

14 posts

• Aug 26 2010

12 posts

• Aug 28 2010

12 posts

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers 8114
Posted
Posted
The link on your site is to Alpha 3 while the link in ht eforum here is Alpha 4.

Thanks for the heads-up. I think you may have misread the 1.4 version number for alpha 4. There is no alpha 4 yet.

http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/prg/atc/acarsatc-1.4-alpha-3-install.exe

On my web site there is no link to the alphas, but the 1.4 alpha 3 will soon get out of alpha and enter the eternal beta.

Jeroen

John Golin
Posted
Posted

Ahh righto...

Posted
Posted

Version 1.4 of the CPDLC program for ATC is now on my web site.

http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/prg/atc/

The changes are for the moment mostly in window management, so that you can blend in the program better with any scope. I am always open to suggestions for improvement.

atc00.pngatc03c.png

Jeroen

John Golin
Posted
Posted

That's good hoppie - I like the 'no background' and transparancy options!

Sam Schiphorst 1138912
Posted
Posted
As I am running X-Plane on my iMac, right now I run it without any connection to the sim on my secondary Windows Laptop. Any chance to integrate X-Plane connection some day? I am no expert for it, but as far as I understand, writing data from X-Plane to another application should be quite easy...

I am currently under time constraints but yes indeed, it should be a lot easier to interface X-Plane than MSFS. Anybody who can dump out position info and a few other items (see the pos report page for them) can inject them into the Broker with a plaintext TCP stream.

This one stays on my radar.

Jeroen

Does that mean when or if this is produced for x-plane that it would be compatible since the majority of X-Plane user use mac?

Sam Schiphorst

VATPAC En-Route Controller, Oceanic Endorced

6080.png

Posted
Posted

Nearly all of my software is in principle platform-independent although some fine tunings have been made for windows only due to the exclusive user base. If the X-plane interface gets done (no promises, I don't have X-plane, I don't have a Mac, I don't have a lot of time, etc.) then most likely the ACARS stuff will also run on a Mac.

Jeroen

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
Posted
... but that'll never happen as long as there is a requirement to e-mail the author to request a login. If a registration is to be required it should at least be an automatic thing on the website that can be done in the space of a couple of minutes.

I am glad to announce that in the mean time the number of active users has risen to well over 250. That's more than double.

Jeroen

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

I have it in my controller info since approx. 15 online hours. It is a pity only 3 pilots used it since then. I think it is not the lack of interest, but the difficulty of finding a CPDLC controller.

Is there a possibility to find online CPDLC-equipped ATC stations? I guess that is what the inclined pilot would need now. 2nd important would be to integrate it with some plane's FMC to have a better user experience.

PS: I will not stop using it The interface is so cool and does not eat any space on the screen when minimized so it is really no big effort to just keep it running.

And as a pilot I was able to use it on my first North Atlantic crossing (the controller advertized it in his controller info just as I do).

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted

I am also using it as a controller and as a pilot. Unfortunately, so far I had no connections with it - neither as a pilot nor as a controller.

Personally, I am quite happy with the MCDU pilot interface. It runs on my 100 Euro used bought laptop and works great. But I fully agree with Jonas about the difficulty finding CLPDC controllers. I know it's on the network part of your homepage, but it's definitely difficult to find.

Maybe this can somehow be integreated in traffic viewer tools like Qutescoop or DLMN?

Kind regards

Alex

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Is there a possibility to find online CPDLC-equipped ATC stations?

Only way to do that is for Controllers to advertise it in their Controller info

The only way for pilots to find said Controllers, is to check the Controllers

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the hint with the network page: http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/system/log.html

Did not know that! This helps for pilots wanting to use it. I was thinking of an announcement thread, but that is what I was looking for.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I just used Hoppie's ACARS for the first time out of JFK, it worked awesome.

Is there any chance of the MCDU interface being changed into a more generic looking ACARS screen? This would add a little bit of realism.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Posted
Posted

Hi Darrol,

There's not such a thing as a generic ACARS screen. ACARS is extremely company-specific, and of course there are just a few different MCDUs out there, no generic equipment either.

Which kind of realism are you after? Less looking like a real aircraft?

It's technically possible to change the photo backdrop of the MCDU by simple file exchange and config update in flat text. You may want to experiment with this, details are here:

http://www.hoppie.nl/mcdu/extending.html

Jeroen

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Thanks, I was just thinking of a version of it so it looked like something other than an MCDU, and more like another component that could theoretically be installed in the cockpit. That way, if I want to us it in an Airbus, the glaring unrealism isn't there. Just would add a little bit of coolness to it.

I'll give that link a try and see if I can make something.

By the way, if this gets big is there any possibility of it being open-sourced?

Kyle Gallagher 1066073
Posted
Posted

Darrol,

I believe the source code is on his website somewhere.

Kyle Gallagher, C1

ZOB Controller - CLE/PIT/D21

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I just took another look, it's GPL!!!

Daniel Macfarlane 1033470
Posted
Posted
Thanks, I was just thinking of a version of it so it looked like something other than an MCDU, and more like another component that could theoretically be installed in the cockpit. That way, if I want to us it in an Airbus, the glaring unrealism isn't there. Just would add a little bit of coolness to it.

I'll give that link a try and see if I can make something.

By the way, if this gets big is there any possibility of it being open-sourced?

ACARs and Datalink are usually always through the MCDU.

6078501976_546409509a_o.png

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Yup, I know. But given that we can't do that, a standalone device would be more realistic even if it isn't commonly used in real life.

Erik Wachters
Posted
Posted

yes, thats why it should be nice to have a FS gauge like FSAcars to integrate in any panel:

http://www.satavirtual.org/fsacars/

or FS Flight Keeper:

http://www.flightkeeper.net/Gallery.html

But I posted it on the panel building forum at Avsim and a builder told me that it is almost unpossible to make for some reason. I'm not a programmer so I can't tell.

Erik

Peter Lund
Posted
Posted

Hi Jeroen,

I am currently trying the acars for the first time and sent a message to LPPO, but I received the reply in Topcat. Shouldn´t the reply come in the MCDU ?.

Best regards

Peter Lund

Erik Wachters
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Don't use the same callsign in Topcat and the MCDU. Try to enter your flightnumber in the MCDU and your company code in Topcat. ex: UAL999 (MCDU) UAL (topcat).

Erik

Daniel Macfarlane 1033470
Posted
Posted
Yup, I know. But given that we can't do that, a standalone device would be more realistic even if it isn't commonly used in real life.

If it isn't used in real life, what would make it more realistic? Leaving it by itself or adding some weird, non - realistic design that you would never see in a plane?

6078501976_546409509a_o.png

Peter Lund
Posted
Posted
Hi,

Don't use the same callsign in Topcat and the MCDU. Try to enter your flightnumber in the MCDU and your company code in Topcat. ex: UAL999 (MCDU) UAL (topcat).

Erik

Thanks for the help Erik, it worked.

Best regards

Peter Lund

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

If it isn't used in real life, what would make it more realistic? Leaving it by itself or adding some weird, non - realistic design that you would never see in a plane?

My understanding is that standalone ACARS devices are used in some situations. In any case, a standalone device that could theoretically appear is more realistic(to me, at least), then using a boeing MCDU for ACARS in Airbus, or using separate MCDUs for the FMC and ACARs in a boeing.