You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Swift - Pilot client progress

Robert Bressert

Gabriel Reiser
Posted
Posted

Software engineer and SimConnect junkie here to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist in speeding this thing up... PM me.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sascha Steingrobe 880415

• Roland Rossgotterer 104726

• Richard Asberg

• Mathew Sutcliffe

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sascha Steingrobe 880415

Sascha Steingrobe 880415 34 posts

• Roland Rossgotterer 104726

Roland Rossgotterer 104726 29 posts

• Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg 14 posts

• Mathew Sutcliffe

Mathew Sutcliffe 12 posts

Popular Days

• Aug 21 2013

24 posts

• Mar 5 2014

11 posts

• Mar 29 2016

10 posts

• Feb 26 2014

10 posts

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

Hi Gabriel,

Surprised to hear someone calling himself a SimConnect junkie.

I have been intrigued by the possibilities of exploiting the Missions facilities being developed by LM for P3D.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards, Richard McDonald Woods

Winchester, UK

Cheers, Richard

You are the music, until the music stops. T.S.Eliot

Drew Anderson 838784
Posted
Posted

I mean it is just so frustrating as a consumer and one with experience of how these things are handled outside this FS world to see the captive audiences developers build only to kill em off slowly. There are some projects that I remember wanting very badly, as in on my mind weekly, that has still yet to be released. I took a good 5 years off and same issues. Either keep the development a secret or keep the public involved with some form of effective PR. The fact that it is now taboo to ask about release dates in this community is crazy relative to the overall PC gaming scene. "Vaporware." Yet as an avid consumer you are belittled for saying that here. Every other PC community is the other way around.

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
I mean it is just so frustrating as a consumer and one with experience of how these things are handled outside this FS world to see the captive audiences developers build only to kill em off slowly. There are some projects that I remember wanting very badly, as in on my mind weekly, that has still yet to be released. I took a good 5 years off and same issues. Either keep the development a secret or keep the public involved with some form of effective PR. The fact that it is now taboo to ask about release dates in this community is crazy relative to the overall PC gaming scene. "Vaporware." Yet as an avid consumer you are belittled for saying that here. Every other PC community is the other way around.

Not to mention that there may be other projects being placed on hold because people are looking forward to coordinating implementation of multiple projects.

Just sayin'

Ira Robinson

Roland Rossgotterer 104726
Posted
Posted

Gents,

as Mat said, we are still activly developing and doing constant and good progress. We are currently in the stage of iterating existing code and get it less komplex and more stable. This is unfortunately a very time consuming task.

Don't forget we are doing this in our spare time and the scope of the project is big. This is different to a commcerial company having a clear roadmap and concrete experience in all fields. So they usually have a timeline they can follow and the estimations of the release are very reliable.

In contrast we are doing such a client the first time. None of us had a lot experience with how to write a VATSIM pilot client before. If we would start from scratch and use the experience we gained over the last 2 years, things would be different of course.

So bottom line, you of course are allowed to ask for a release date. But even if we would give you one, this does not help you at all. Because when we reach this date and the client is not finished it won't be released and we keep postponing the release date. This is worse then not giving any date at all. We would love to estimate when we are finished, but even our private estimations were unrealistic.

swift - Technical Manager

http://swift-project.org/

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Roland,

thanks a lot for your statement!

What everyone should understand and appreciate is, that in contrast to commercial projects, where publishers try to keep their project in that talk and want to tease their potential customers, our SWIFT-team simply has no idea how much work (time-wise) they have left to do. This is kind of frustrating for both them and for us, as we are all keen to finally get our hands on the software.

Even if we are tired of waiting, we need to realize one thing: this project is being developed in the leisure time of some brave individuals who have accepted to sacrifice their time FOR US ALL! If they decided to post more regular updates they would waste crucial time that they should rather spend on the code itself.

So again: THANKS FOR KEEPING THE PROJECT ALIVE! Everyone appreciates your efforts and luckily you do understand that a lot of people are impatient, because they are REALLY looking forward to using SWIFT. I'd rather see their impatience as something positive: they are interested in the project and its status. Keep going!

• 3 weeks later...
Charlie Mckenna 1301977
Posted
Posted

I can't until swift is released. Keep on doing what you are doing and no rush .

Kind Regards,

Charlie

NAX9792.png

• 1 month later...
Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

team posted an unnoticed update 2 days ago addressing the concerns people have as far as is it still in development or not

http://swift-project.org

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

...and make sure you watch the movie clip that they have created. It will show you that work never has really ceased and how much has been done by whom over the past 2 years!

• 3 months later...
Lawrence McDonald
Posted
Posted

HI there .

How about a status update , its been 4 months .. Really hoped you were finished by now

This is the only hope , cross platform VATSIM client

Regards

Lawrence

Roland Rossgotterer 104726
Posted
Posted

4 month is a very short time if you work on swift and see how fast the time p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es by Just kidding... a new blog post with a bit more insight into our current development is planned. I cannot say a date when it will be public. Same as usual for the release date.

swift - Technical Manager

http://swift-project.org/

• 3 months later...
Lawrence McDonald
Posted
Posted

Ok Its a New year , and we are all exited Again ! about swift ..

How about a status update . Please

Regards

Lawrence

Stefano Amatore 1281869
Posted
Posted

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

I understand that developing a new ATC client is inevitably a long and complex process. So I am NOT going to ask for a progress report.

However, could we be given a statement of what real-world functions are now committed in swift?

Cheers, Richard

You are the music, until the music stops. T.S.Eliot

Wim Sjoholm 1133704
Posted
Posted

This is not an ATC client, it's a pilot client

Somehow rated s3

• 1 month later...
Lawrence McDonald
Posted
Posted

Seems its Dead ..

What a shame had lots of potential .

ohh well

regards

Lawrence

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

Vaporware, but... Rest [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ured someone will insist we're being a bunch greedy inpatient bastards and the client is still being worked on... 3 years later.

Mathew Sutcliffe
Posted
Posted
Respectfully,

Not dead. And no-one is more impatient than we are to get it done, or more aware that it has been three years. Three years of fairly solid work, and if you think we are going to let three years of our lives go to waste, you are happily mistaken. But status reports don't actually help to get it done any faster.

swift - Developer

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted
Respectfully,

But status reports don't actually help to get it done any faster.

While status reports don't necessarily get the project done any faster, they do keep the supporters updated and spread the word regarding the program itself. As a personal suggestion, you may want to simply post a quick blurb every once in a while to forum posts such as this one, to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure supporters and users that the project has not died off. Again, just a suggestion to prevent posts that state the project is dead.

Thanks,

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
While status reports don't necessarily get the project done any faster, they do keep the supporters updated and spread the word regarding the program itself. As a personal suggestion, you may want to simply post a quick blurb every once in a while to forum posts such as this one, to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure supporters and users that the project has not died off. Again, just a suggestion to prevent posts that state the project is dead.

I agree with Cam here. I'm sure most of us believe that this project is still going on and understand completely that you (the developers) are continuing to put in many hours to work on it.

A little information every once in a while is kind of a tease (in a good way). It makes people anticipate it more, and ultimately want to use it more in the long run. I frankly would even be fine with raw changelogs :mrgreen:

Joel Richters
Posted
Posted

I would also like to agree to the above. Without regular updates you are keeping the ultimate users at arms length and not bring us along with your journey!

Joel Richters

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Stop demanding they give you an update. They do not owe you one. If you want to participate in the journey, learn to code and join the team.

Writing and testing code moves the project forward, spending time telling you about coding and testing does not.

Kyle Ramsey

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted
Stop demanding they give you an update.

Hi Kyle,

Just to be clear, there were no demands made for an update. There were no demands at all, actually. All I did was give a personal suggestion, to prevent eager supporters from posting here requesting updates, stating that the development is dead, etc. I emphasized the fact that it was a suggestion and I believe everyone agreed that it was simple advice, not a demand by any means.

Thanks,

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Adam Trzcinski
Posted
Posted

Well, even Duke Nukem was released eventually.

VATSIM Germany

www.ftw-sim.de | Fly-The-World economic simulation