You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Swift - Pilot client progress

Robert Bressert

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted
the only gripe i have with VVL is regarding background noise, even the slightest bit of background noise can cause issues in the transmissions.
And the usual "background noise" is the FS Sounds being recorded by a wrong setting and being transmitted straigt into the controller's ears - aka "Stereo Mix". Well, in this case it's usually the pilot's voice which is like background

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sascha Steingrobe 880415

• Roland Rossgotterer 104726

• Richard Asberg

• Mathew Sutcliffe

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sascha Steingrobe 880415

Sascha Steingrobe 880415 34 posts

• Roland Rossgotterer 104726

Roland Rossgotterer 104726 29 posts

• Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg 14 posts

• Mathew Sutcliffe

Mathew Sutcliffe 12 posts

Popular Days

• Aug 21 2013

24 posts

• Mar 5 2014

11 posts

• Mar 29 2016

10 posts

• Feb 26 2014

10 posts

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

With all this mention of issues with FSInn's voice, I would point out that all VATSIM clients use the same voice library and as such, suffer the same problems. The "VHF simulation" option is what it is called in the voice library, but I would be more inclined to call it a "mid-range bandp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] filter" as it seems to just chop off the b[Mod - Happy Thoughts].

David Zhong

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Deleted, found the answer in the thread.

Can't wait for this client, I think it will be absolutely great and just the thought of finally getting rid of the model matching mess in current pilot clients thanks to the upcoming repository makes me more than happy!!

Is there a rough ETA for this new client?

Richard Åsberg

Roland Rossgotterer 104726
Posted
Posted

Another month is over and as promissed I would like to give a brief status of the tasks we have completed in the last period.

* February in general was a busy month for us. We focused a lot on refactoring, code clean up, finalize doxygen docomeentation, remove deprecated code and address all warnings from any compiler (MSVC, GCC, Clang, etc). The status for this is completed. We get no warnings any more and the code is fully docomeented. This was also the final step to close V0.3 and we are working on V0.4 now.

Other features included in V0.3:

* Observer and stealth mode have been added

* Voice room users are fully displayed (Callsign, name, etc.)

* Main gui opacity can be configured with a slider in the gui between 30 - 100 %

* SELCAL added. One thing is worth to mention. We do not use *.wav files for SELCAL, but generate the audio stream in memory. SELCAL is a combination of two tones, so they are easy to create.

* Added sound effects for different client events (log in, logout, etc). At the moment, we are using test wav files. We haven't created own sound samples yet (If sound engineer is reading this and is interested in creating cool sound notification effects, please message me!)

* A lot bug fixing, testing and preparation in the C++ backend which is the most work but is hard to explain it.

* Traffic simulator prepared to run on a linux server with different scenarios

Completed features in V0.4:

* VATSIM status file reader

* VATSIM service reader (Bookings, etc)

* A lot bug fixing, testing and preparation in the C++ backend which is the most work but is hard to explain it.

Features from V0.4 we are currenty working on:

* Sending flightplans to FSD server

* Read FS aircraft models from the installation folder (for model matching)

* php script to control the traffic simulator via webpage

* First version of a FSX driver. We are currently able to read the user aircraft's position and COM settings. The position is also sent to FSD test server

* Synchronization between GUI and simulator COM settings

* Traffic injection (under investigation)

* We also got a new GUI design we are currently evaluating.

* Final steps to complete hotkeys (for example push to talk). Is mostly finished but needs further testing and setup.

I think that was it from my side. I maybe upload some screens from our DEV gui. A picture is worth a thousand words.

swift - Technical Manager

http://swift-project.org/

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

Great news and great work!

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the effort, looking forward to seeing this in action at W14

morten_steen_zpsbqpwg3mb.png

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

+1

Thanks for the info and all the great work you guys are doing!!

Richard Åsberg

Sasha Ivanoff 916136
Posted
Posted

Looking forward to the final release. I hope that model/paint matching takes into account multiple liveries for one aircraft (and aircraft registrations as well) and a radar like FSInn has.

Regardless, I appreciate the developers and testers on the new client. I believe the client will bring more people to VATSIM.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted
I believe the client will bring more people to VATSIM.

I too think this is very true!

IMHO VATSIM really is in desperate need of a new client that will work "out-of-the-box" in a much higher degree than the current clients and especially looking at the model matching.

Richard Åsberg

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

No doubt, except for maybe some local coverage issues, the client must be the only thing I can imagine making people choose IVAO.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted (edited)
No doubt
Really? Model matching aside, the last time I installed Squawkbox, the procedure was something like: 1) Double-click sb4setup.exe, 2) Click a few Next buttons, 3) Fly on VATSIM. Not sure how much more works-out-of-the-box you can get than that.

I'm remaining highly skeptical about the large influx of newcomers to VATSIM any new pilot client alone will bring (solely based on its newness or ease of installation)... but here's to hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Guest

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Maybe I should have tried SB rather than FSInn, sound like a very simple installation!

In all honesty the installation of FSInn is rather simple as well with the exception of some "tricks" you need to perform, the main problem if you ask me is the model matching and to me this is one of the most important things when flying online. I can't even tell you how sick I am seeing all kinds of aircraft and airlines picked by the client in what often seem to be a totally random way with no logic at all backing up the decision. I've looked through the selection rules FSInn uses for model matching and maybe something is fundamentally wrong at my end but I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure you those rules surely are not always followed by FSInn on my PC!

Then how some of my repaints are not found at all by FSInn although they are in the exact same format and location as repaints that are found is a totally different story...

Richard Åsberg

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted
No doubt
Really? Model matching aside, the last time I installed Squawkbox, the procedure was something like: 1) Double-click sb4setup.exe, 2) Click a few Next buttons, 3) Fly on VATSIM. Not sure how much more works-out-of-the-box you can get than that.

I'm remaining highly skeptical about the large influx of newcomers to VATSIM any new pilot client alone will bring (solely based on its newness or ease of installation)... but here's to hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Well, I have the same experience as you. SB4 networked right out of the box. But sadly we're not typical.

If you search any forum, problems with the clients are by far the most recurring point for people choosing not to use Vatsim. And opposite, if you ask what pros people have for choosing IVAO, the client / modelmatching is the (only) reason.

In my opinion, a new client will help getting the numbers up and by that, increased interest and coverage.

I don't think poor and archeaic clients are the best way to increase professionalism amongst Vatsims users. Decreasing member numbers most certainly aren't.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted
In my opinion, a new client will help getting the numbers up and by that, increased interest and coverage.

Exactly the way I see it. Personally I don't care what network I'm on to be honest being a member of both IVAO and Vatsim for many, many years. What I'm interested in is to share my interest simulating flight in the best and most realistic way with as many others as possible, the more people both pilots and ATC the better since that will more resemble real world OPS.

To reach this goal having a client that works really well is fundamental.

Richard Åsberg

• 2 weeks later...
Emiliano Ferraco
Posted
Posted

Any chance to have a version before Cross the Pond? is a good opportunity to test it

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
Any chance to have a version before Cross the Pond? is a good opportunity to test it

Simple answer: No:)

f72.gif

Project Manager - swift pilot client project

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Will it be possible to have ATC sound both in your headset and main speakers at the same time using this new client just like you can in today's FSInn/VVL?

Richard Åsberg

Herby GORE 1217546
Posted
Posted
I use SB4 and I agreee that it works out of the box. The problem comes when you say "model matching aside".

I spent a hell of a lot of time trying to get this fixed with very disappointing result so far (aircrafts are ugly, landing gear in the wrong state, VIP models and paper planes, planes above or below ground level...). I recently made a group flight with a buddy using FSInn and I was surprised to see on his screenshots how better the aircrafts are depicted with this client. Seeing that, I would probably have switched to FSInn if there were no hopes for a new client any time soon. Now I prefer to stay with SB waiting for one of the new clients to come.

1414406989.png1217546.png

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted
I use SB4 and I agreee that it works out of the box. The problem comes when you say "model matching aside".

I spent a hell of a lot of time trying to get this fixed with very disappointing result so far (aircrafts are ugly, landing gear in the wrong state, VIP models and paper planes, planes above or below ground level...). I recently made a group flight with a buddy using FSInn and I was surprised to see on his screenshots how better the aircrafts are depicted with this client. Seeing that, I would probably have switched to FSInn if there were no hopes for a new client any time soon. Now I prefer to stay with SB waiting for one of the new clients to come.

Have a look http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=54246&start=120 where I've been discussing model matching issues and how to be in control of FSInn and the way it chooses models rather than FSInn being in control of you giving you all kind of strange models that just doens't make sense.

At this point I'm finally able to make FSInn do exactly what I want and choose the models I want it to choose using the methods I describe in that other thread.

I don't have any recent experience using SB myself but now using this new technique with FSInn I must say I'm very happy about this client.

Richard Åsberg

Posted
Posted
Will it be possible to have ATC sound both in your headset and main speakers at the same time using this new client just like you can in today's FSInn/VVL?

It should be possible. Probably not with the current version of voice we are using at the moment, but the back end supports it. Requires some changes in the API though. I keep it in mind.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Thanks Roland, sounds good!

Richard Åsberg

• 3 weeks later...
Er-Jin Jang
Posted
Posted

Man, it's awfully quiet here. Did I miss a forum thread change, or is it just that the dev team is occupied with something else? Looked at their FB page also - it's very quiet there too...

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

sometimes means they are at work.

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted

That's right. Everybody is working on the project but there are no news at the moment to publish

f72.gif

Project Manager - swift pilot client project

Posted
Posted

Usually I give an update on the progress every month, but I was on a business trip twice so I haven't had much time to prepare the news.

Expect something the next week.