You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot - need testers for shared cockpit (observer) mode

Ross Carlson

Ryan Boulton-Lear
Posted
Posted

I spoke to the above controller aswell about the issue, and he was unable to give me any answers to this "problem" he was highlighting [removed GL 967365 - CoC A1]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Bradley Grafelman

• Mark Foister

• Ricardo Santos 1108947

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 14 posts

• Bradley Grafelman

Bradley Grafelman 8 posts

• Mark Foister

Mark Foister 5 posts

• Ricardo Santos 1108947

Ricardo Santos 1108947 4 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 22 2015

13 posts

• Apr 20 2015

8 posts

• Apr 27 2015

7 posts

• May 28 2015

5 posts

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

Gents,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Your method of connecting to the network for utilising the shared cockpit was correct, and the Supervisor was not aware of this method. I have provided guidance to all our Supervisors about this through our own channels. I'm sorry this caused some confusion.

With regards to allegations of inappropriate attitudes by a Supervisor: the forum is not the correct place to address this. You can always find me at vpsup(at)vatsim.net and I will investigate anything I am sent. I already have the full log of this incident through other means. I have removed the name of the Supervisor and some other content in this thread; regardless of how one thinks someone has responded, personally attacking them is immature and not on. Supervisors are volunteers who log onto the network to help users with no reward in return. Just like any other member, they do not deserve to be shot down on a public forum.

Thanks.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Mike Freeman 928875
Posted
Posted

Many thanks indeed all for your responses and support.

Firstly - apologies for any suggestion of an attack. I beleive there might have been a minor language barrier (and the over-use of exclaimation marks) - and some of the SUPs comments were possibly taken, by me, in the wrong way.

When posted last night, I was annoyed at the embuggerance of handling this at 4000ft when my PF was on base leg and needed me to working with him. Sorry.

I should have edited out the names and in response to Gunnar - thank you, duly noted.

--

Secondly - I understand the process of connecting as an observer is deemed correct in shared flightdeck. Thank you for the clarification.

However, can I also ask for input on:

At the moment, we swap PF/PNF roles during mid-cruise. One of us flies the departure, the other - the approach.

The PNF handles the ATC comms, as the PF (connecting as observer) cannot transmit.

This means during cruise - we both disconnect from VATSIM, and swap our callsigns (using the A suffix for the observer).

It also means we log the same flightplan twice under the same callsign, but different vatsim accounts.

We are therefore only logging VATSIM pilot hours for the PNF (or if the PF handled comms, only they would be credited for the time).

Does anyone have an alternative? I understand the implications of having 2 VATSIM pilots in the same plane.

Michael Freeman, Devon UK

UKVIRTUAL - UNI517

Equipment: 737, 747, 777, A318-A321 (shared cockpit), Dash8

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike! No suggestion of a personal attack by yourself - I was responding to some other comments in this thread since removed.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

• 2 months later...
Sam Collins
Posted
Posted

[21:39:30] SUP: I can suggest you investigate in some forum! OBS because of the way is not right. As the word says OBS ... you are not looking!

At which point you could have responded:

"I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure you sir that I am indeed "looking".. As BAW472 has been snoring in his seat beside me for past 2000 miles..."

'might've actually been worth a possible temporary suspension.

Seriously; You handled that with great professionalism and more than a little restraint.

Great idea! That would have made the supervisor leave straight away, probbalby embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed about arguing with a pilot flying with the captain fast asleep beside him! I'll be sure to use this if I ever have to.

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Hodges
Posted
Posted

Ross,

Made a Shared Cockpit flight in one of the aircraft we have under Beta, and it we did not notice any problems with vPilot. One thing I found interesting is that we did not have to disable the Observer aircraft as one must do with FSINN. Are you using the Observer and Stealth modes when someone connects as Observer?

Anyway, nice to see vPilot as Shared Cockpit compatible - nicely done!

OVPA%20Forum%20Signature%20BETA%20TEAM%20Small%20-%20Dave.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
One thing I found interesting is that we did not have to disable the Observer aircraft as one must do with FSINN. Are you using the Observer and Stealth modes when someone connects as Observer?

Hi Dave, glad it's working well for you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "disable the Observer aircraft" ... I never used FSInn. I'm also not sure what you mean by Stealth mode. There is no such thing on VATSIM to my knowledge.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 9 months later...
Austin Dunbar 1291776
Posted
Posted

Ross I've never used shared cockpit, but do you have to set up a MP server with shared cockpit or just use the b observer mode on VPilot?

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Ross I've never used shared cockpit, but do you have to set up a MP server with shared cockpit or just use the b observer mode on VPilot?

vPilot itself doesn't facilitate the actual sharing of cockpits - that's up to 3rd party software/add-ons. The vPilot change was simply to allow a copilot using an already-shared cockpit to connect to VATSIM in a way that wouldn't cause a duplicated target on ATC scopes.

• 4 months later...
Jack Jeffers 1371614
Posted
Posted

Do both pilots need this or just one of them

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Just the one that connects in observer mode.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 5 months later...
Evan Gunawan 1363953
Posted
Posted

Hello. I tried to connect with vPilot. using a callsign, my friend adds an "A" after the callsign. but it seems didnt't work. He can't see my movement/actions, I can .msg him via vpilot, he received the message. But I can't see any changes nor a 'mirror' aircraft in the same gate and position.

Thank You.

Regards, Evan.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

vPilot doesn't facilitate the actual sharing of the cockpit - that's up to the aircraft or some other addon. vPilot only helps get you both connected to the network (one as an observer).

Evan Gunawan 1363953
Posted
Posted
vPilot doesn't facilitate the actual sharing of the cockpit - that's up to the aircraft or some other addon. vPilot only helps get you both connected to the network (one as an observer).

Ahh, i see. sorry for that. thanks for the explanation. I have wrong perspective about it..

• 2 years later...
Finn Doyle 1436792
Posted
Posted

I have recently downloaded the vpilot shared cockpit extension and was wondering if you could help me i have been trying for quite a while now to join my friend on a vatsim flight i have tried going into vpilot and getting my friend to join in Observer mode with a similar callsign just with an added letter and nothing changes in game i recently found another version of vpilot on my PC called vPilot Host Mode was this what i downloaded with your link and should i have been on this when trying to get my friend to join me. many thanks in advance also if it any help I am trying to get him to join me in a quality wings 787-9 thank you

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

vPilot doesn't handle the cockpit sharing. Your aircraft must be designed specifically to allow for that.

The two posts immediately above yours explained that...

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png