You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Thoughts on VATSIM CoC

Jonathan Fong

Jonathan Fong
Posted
Posted
Pilots would then have to search for the correct CTAF frequency and use it

Jonathan, this relates to a voice CTAF proposal that was formulated in another thread and that I recently submitted to the BoG for consideration. Using real-world CTAF frequencies is central to the proposal. I'm curious why you think it's a bad thing for pilots to have to use the correct frequency. If you ask me, requiring pilots to read charts and use the right frequency is realistic and serves VATSIM's goal of being a learning environment. Can you elaborate on why you think it would be a bad thing?

Oh no, it's not that I'm against realism. I'm just afraid that there would be a chance that perhaps some frequencies online might be outdated, meaning some pilots would try one frequency and others might try another, leading to a bit of confusion. Also, as I stated in my earlier post, as far as I know some airports like Heathrow or Gatwick don't have CTAF frequencies in real life due to being under constant ATC control, meaning any online searches would come up with nothing and that frequencies would have to be made, checked for conflicts and then distributed to pilots.

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

In cases of towers closing IRL, typically the tower frequency becomes CTAF.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Oh no, it's not that I'm against realism. I'm just afraid that there would be a chance that perhaps some frequencies online might be outdated, meaning some pilots would try one frequency and others might try another, leading to a bit of confusion. Also, as I stated in my earlier post, as far as I know some airports like Heathrow or Gatwick don't have CTAF frequencies in real life due to being under constant ATC control, meaning any online searches would come up with nothing and that frequencies would have to be made, checked for conflicts and then distributed to pilots.

Jonathan, would you mind if I cross-posted this to the other thread where the voice CTAF proposal was created? I believe that proposal addresses both of your concerns, and discussing it further would be more on-topic in that thread. The thread I'm referring to, where I'll cross post your concerns (or you can re-post your concerns there, if you wish) is here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=70437

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Joel Richters
Posted
Posted

So this was already achieved in Australia using FSInn. If you were in range of the airfield, then you would connect the CTAF using the RL frequency. If there were close airports, in the RL they would probably be using the same CTAF frequency anyway. Then for those who would normally be staffed H24, we used the 122.8 Unicom.

Joel Richters

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Joel, last time this was raised we were told that vatpac is breaking the rules with our CTAF policy.

So Hangon for the comments.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png