You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Front page advertising?!

Timothy Boger 942264

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted
So are you going to mod this SS$$$$$$$$$$?

No, I'm going to give you a 7 day vacation from the forum.

lol

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
So are you going to mod this SS$$$$$$$$$$?

No, I'm going to give you a 7 day vacation from the forum.

Richard Jenkins for President!!

(Oh, wait ... nevermind.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jeff Thomas
Posted
Posted
Getting back on topic, and without the venom present, Timothy brings up a good question which hasn't been answered yet. What exactly is required to get an advertisment in the "sticky" position on the VATUSA webpage? Major event? What defines a major event? Why is one event that goes down on the same day as the BTP not favored in the sticky spot, while the BTP is (or, looks like to me, was favored but since removed)?

These are important questions, because as an ATM I want to be able to use the sticky position to advertise ZAB event(s).

Kyle explains it above. The VATUSA homepage is auto generated with NEWS items. Yes there is a place for admin messages above the news, but as a rule, there have been NO event announcements in that location to date except for items that affect VATUSA as a whole.

There is NO way to get it in a "sticky" position, and it is first in first out. So if you post your event 1 month ahead of schedule, chances are IT WILL NOT BE ON THE PAGE at the time of your event. It will be automatically sorted by the POSTED BY field with a person and time date stamp.

News items come from ALL sections of the website as well, and not just events are on there. Notice the different ICONS in each post (STAFF NEWS, VATUSA Partner VAs, etc).

The EVENTS calendar is your best "sticky" position. Click on the EVENTS menu item in the top menu bar. Looking at that you will see that the ZJX event does NOT overlap the BTP event in the USA.

I am not sure, however, how they managed to get a STICKY posted in the US forum....but they did.

So, like Kyle explained, it is not a vast conspiracy...just working as designed.

Jeff Thomas

ex - VATUSA Website Director

(sorry to steal your thunder Craig, Scott and Lance

Jeff Thomas

VP-IT

https://joinava.org

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

Jeff,

I think what Fred is saying though, was that it WAS indeed at the top of the page. See where the Avsim Conferance banner is? That used to be a Boston Tea Party one...and even if additional news was added, it would stay at the top.

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

Jeff,

Thanks for explaining how date sorted news systems work. I've wrote one or two myself, so I know how it works

Nick is right. The Boston Tea Party was ABOVE the news items, where the avsim banner is now. I am curious to know who did that (so I can contact them), how I can get the next big ZAB event up there (any special qualifications apply to the event?), etc. This has yet to be explained by a VATUSA figure.

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Paul Meyer 810173
Posted
Posted

Staff ZMP

5498.png

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted
last thing i would worry about is this right here...

my point exactly. and responded in 6 minutes at 5 20 am but i need a life.

well when your a police officer maybe youll understand my day a little bit better [Mod - Happy Thoughts]hole

The thoughts and/or words or any general things that are expressed above are not a direct reflection of the views of the actual poster myself, Rey Lopez, and should be disregarded and left unread.

Terry Kocher 919807
Posted
Posted

please....u need to get a life if anything...last thing i would worry about is this right here...

well when your a police officer maybe youll understand my day a little bit better [Mod-You kiss your mother with that mouth?]

So wait a second... last summer you were a controller, now your a police officer? Whats next, rocket scientist?

pilot.gif

3712.png

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted

please....u need to get a life if anything...last thing i would worry about is this right here...

well when your a police officer maybe youll understand my day a little bit better [Mod-You kiss your mother with that mouth?]

So wait a second... last summer you were a controller, now your a police officer? Whats next, rocket scientist?

excuse me? what business is it of yours?

The thoughts and/or words or any general things that are expressed above are not a direct reflection of the views of the actual poster myself, Rey Lopez, and should be disregarded and left unread.

Terry Kocher 919807
Posted
Posted (edited)
well when your a police officer maybe youll understand my day a little bit better

Sorry but, when you post things like this on public forums, it makes it people's business.

Edited by Guest

pilot.gif

3712.png

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

Knock it off with the name calling Mr. Lopez or you will lose your forum priviliges as well. We have already put everyone on notice that civility will return to the VATSIM forums. If you aren't willing to be civil, then you will find yourself on the outside looking in.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted
well when your a police officer maybe youll understand my day a little bit better

Sorry but, when you post things like this on public forums, it makes it people's business.

ok...i was defending myself im sorry but please dont worry about me...

i apologize george...

Matthew Temple 880167
Posted
Posted
Yes, but did either Jacksonville or Houston make a request to have their event posted on the VATUSA front page? Hmmm?

I doubt it's favoritism, it's more likely that some know how to better use the system than others.

Craig,

My EC made the request for the Event personally on behalf of both ARTCC's. There was an issue with the posting on the claendar which caused an overlap of the events. VATUSA5 (Richard Green), worked with us through the ordeal and we the ZHU ATM and ZJX ATM are happy with the outcome suggested by Richard. So, Robert and I are happy, and we are the ATM's so that will now close that part of the discussion. I only responded to your post because it seems that you were inferring that other ARTCC's are not as "smart". My email is matt(dot)temple(at)zhuartcc(dot)com if you would like to discuss this further off of this derailed thread.

Matthew Temple

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted

My post in no way was meant to imply any such thing. People at the various ARTCC's seem to come and go on a monthly basis. I can no long keep up with all the changes, and was merely suggesting that theory as opposed to what the original post implied. I just didn't see it as a conspiracy theory and posed my own. That is all it was.

My intent was not to belittle anyone nor imply that some ARTCC heads are not as smart as others (though it is quite possible that a new ARTCC Chief might not know all the in's and out's and options of the current system). It was soley meant to "combat" what I saw as possibly an unjustified attack on the VATUSA Staff.

Having re-read my post I can understand how that [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption might have come about. It would have been in a much better context had I used the quote function from the original "complaint".

My sincere apologies.

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Matthew Temple 880167
Posted
Posted

No hard feelings.

Matthew Temple