You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Authentication Failed: A task was canceled" upon connection attempt

• vpilot 3.2.0
  • p3dv5

Jeff Callender

SERGIO CAMPOS
Posted
Posted

I´ve the same. IPv6 test does not solve it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Igor Melnick

• SERGIO CAMPOS

• Jeff Callender

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 26 posts

• Igor Melnick

Igor Melnick 9 posts

• SERGIO CAMPOS

SERGIO CAMPOS 9 posts

• Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender 6 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 30 2022

9 posts

• Apr 10 2022

6 posts

• Feb 26 2022

5 posts

• Apr 11 2022

5 posts

Popular Posts

Igor Melnick

Dear Ross. How can you explain the fact that I can connect to the network using the SWIFT, but I can't using the vPilot. It turns out that the problem is not in Ipv6, windows, security programs, but i

Igor Melnick

I'm not writing here to swear, but to sort out the problem. As you saw, I tried all your advice, but the problem remained unresolved. My ISP does not use Ipv6, I have disabled all security programs an

Venkatesh Nagarajan

Adding more info here. Today I got the same authentication error. Just a hard reboot of my PC solved it. 

Posted Images

SERGIO CAMPOS
Posted
Posted

Something that might help: - Vat-spy also stopped working.

Igor Melnick
Posted
Posted

Dear Ross. How can you explain the fact that I can connect to the network using the SWIFT, but I can't using the vPilot. It turns out that the problem is not in Ipv6, windows, security programs, but in the vPilot code.

• Like 1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Igor Melnick said:

Dear Ross. How can you explain the fact that I can connect to the network using the SWIFT, but I can't using the vPilot. It turns out that the problem is not in Ipv6, windows, security programs, but in the vPilot code.

Because I assume swift hasn't yet been updated to use the new token based authentication system, which uses IPv6 if your system supports it, otherwise it uses IPv4.

You're certain that it's a problem in the vPilot code, but if that's the case, how do you explain the fact that literally tens of thousands of vPilot users are able to connect to the network?

Edited by Ross Carlson

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

I wonder if it's a dodgy IPv6 routing somewhere upstream. I have AT&T, and they were reasonably progressive in giving me full IPv6 for over a decade now, including my own /64 via prefix delegation. However, even to this day while I get an address, routing seems to fail and I can't send or receive any traffic outside my own router over IPv6. I ended up having to write some basic ICMPv6 tests to ensure that my destination servers are truly reachable via IPv6.

cheers!

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

SERGIO CAMPOS
Posted
Posted

In my case, suddenly working perfectly.😄

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Luke Kolin said:

I wonder if it's a dodgy IPv6 routing somewhere upstream.

It sure seems like that's the case with many/most of the users reporting this issue. It seems to come and go.

Igor Melnick
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Because I assume swift hasn't yet been updated to use the new token based authentication system, which uses IPv6 if your system supports it, otherwise it uses IPv4.

You're certain that it's a problem in the vPilot code, but if that's the case, how do you explain the fact that literally tens of thousands of vPilot users are able to connect to the network?

I'm not writing here to swear, but to sort out the problem. As you saw, I tried all your advice, but the problem remained unresolved. My ISP does not use Ipv6, I have disabled all security programs and even reinstalled windows. But the vpilot doesn't work. We all understand that this problem exists not only for me. Only a few people write here and in discord. I guess this is a problem of hundreds of people.  It is necessary to understand and figure out what is blocking the program, and not to say that this is only your problem and figure it out yourself.

• Like 1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Igor Melnick said:

I'm not writing here to swear, but to sort out the problem. As you saw, I tried all your advice, but the problem remained unresolved. My ISP does not use Ipv6, I have disabled all security programs and even reinstalled windows. But the vpilot doesn't work. We all understand that this problem exists not only for me. Only a few people write here and in discord. I guess this is a problem of hundreds of people.  It is necessary to understand and figure out what is blocking the program, and not to say that this is only your problem and figure it out yourself.

Igor, I would appreciate it if you would stop accusing me of saying things that I did not say. I never said this is only your problem. I have acknowledged that there are other users having the same problem. That's obvious. I also never said that you have to figure it out by yourself. I have provided several suggestions. Suggestions which solve the issue for the majority of users that I assist with this issue.

Igor Melnick
Posted
Posted

Ross, 

I am sad that you have formed the opinion that I am accusing you. I am interested in solving the problem as soon as possible. If you need help, I am ready to provide you with any technical information about my hardware and software

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Igor Melnick said:

If you need help, I am ready to provide you with any technical information about my hardware and software

If you really did all of the things you said you did in your first reply in this thread (quoted below) then I honestly don't have any more suggestions, as I said before.

On 4/10/2022 at 2:46 AM, Igor Melnick said:

What's done: ipv6 is turned off, the router and computer have been rebooted multiple times, vpilot is added to all exceptions, auth.vatsim.net pinged. What else can I do?

Igor Melnick
Posted
Posted

Ross. 

I created a VPN Gate connection and everything worked. Only the connection speed has dropped significantly. Now I think the problem is with my provider. Please give me instructions on what I should request from the ISP? 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Igor Melnick said:

Ross. 

I created a VPN Gate connection and everything worked. Only the connection speed has dropped significantly. Now I think the problem is with my provider. Please give me instructions on what I should request from the ISP? 

You can tell them that you have an application (vPilot) that makes an HTTPS connection to auth.vatsim.net which has both an IPv6 and an IPv4 IP address. The connection is timing out, and we think that it's getting an IPv6 address back from DNS, but when it tries to open the HTTPS connection over IPv6, that connection is not succeeding and timing out.

• 2 weeks later...
Axel Tato
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello, I've been connecting to vatsim forever and using the same computer and router. Last time I've logged in was yesterday.

Today I cannot and I have the same error message. 

I've checked the ipv6 test and it was enable. I have rebooted my router and it works again. I can connect to vatsim

Edited by Axel Tato

Venkatesh Nagarajan
Posted
Posted

Some more info on this topic. 

Started with Vatsim around Jan. Same issue. A cable modem/router reboot solved the issue. 

Did not use VATSIM Feb/March 

Starting VATSIM from middle of April - No problems 

Today - The problem appeared 

Multiple machine reboots did not help. I found these commands somewhere online. These did not help either. 

netsh winsock reset catalog
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Then, I rebooted cable modem and the router. Problem is gone. I am able to connect. 

Hope this helps others and Ross (developer? thank you) 

Thank you all

Venkatesh Nagarajan
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Venkatesh Nagarajan said:

Started with Vatsim around Jan. Same issue. A cable modem/router reboot solved the issue. 

Multiple machine reboots did not help. I found these commands somewhere online. These did not help either. 

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Then, I rebooted cable modem and the router. Problem is gone. I am able to connect. 

Thank you all

Adding more info here. Today I got the same authentication error. Just a hard reboot of my PC solved it. 

• Confused 1

Alejandro Rueda 1245851
Posted
Posted

Good day, i have the same problem, please help me, i have done everything to resolve this error, but it has not been possible. please what is the solution?

Alejandro Rueda 1245851
Posted
Posted
On 5/11/2022 at 6:38 PM, Venkatesh Nagarajan said:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Thank you all

good day, i have resolved the problem, the solution is desactivate the IPV6.

Venkatesh Nagarajan
Posted
Posted
On 5/13/2022 at 3:02 PM, Alejandro Rueda 1245851 said:

good day, i have resolved the problem, the solution is desactivate the IPV6.

Just a heads up. MSFT recommends that you don't disable IPV6. 

• 2 weeks later...
Richard Perrin-Terrin
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Just happened to me today. I rebooted the router, and it is now working fine. 

If that can help. 

• 5 weeks later...
SERGIO CAMPOS
Posted
Posted

Facing same problem.

SERGIO CAMPOS
Posted
Posted

As Richard said above, after restarting the router, Vpilot started working.

• 3 weeks later...
Jeff Callender
Posted
Posted

The original poster here, several months down the road.  It continues to happen about 1/3 of the time.  IT happens with IP6 showing flawlessly connected, it happens with IP6 showing not connected at all.  It happens in P3D, it happens with MSFS.  Nothing has changed in my configuration, router, setup or firewall.  Sometimes It happens at the beginning of a flight, I do my cockpit prep and 30 minutes later, it connects.  Tonight, it would not connect at all.  IT happens with my firewall running, it happens with my firewall not running.  But as you can see, I can login to VATSIM, so it is not a user authentication issue.  I am not a newbie, I have been flying on VATSIM since it was SATCO - that was 20 years ago?  There are five or six of us on this thread and I have seen other threads.  Others may not know there is a forum to reach out so I might not trust that as a reliable indicator.  There is a problem with the software.  IT might be a small problem, but a problem nonetheless.

Jeff Callender

SERGIO CAMPOS
Posted
Posted

In my case, seventy percent of the time it connect normally, but thirty percent of the time it is necessary to turn the router off and on.

Venkatesh Nagarajan
Posted
Posted

In the past 2 months it has not happened to me even a single time.