You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FNO Event Replacement

Aggrey Ellis 964561

Karen Dunbar 1002434
Posted
Posted

First, I apologize for the delay. I had a nasty Category 4 hurricane that was in the neighborhood, and dealing with all that entails totally upended my scheduled release of this information.

Secondly, I understand that some people really dislike change. That's understandable. However, this move is consistent with the original concept for how FNO could grow, and goes somewhat beyond in adding more ARTCCs. Nothing is set in stone here, and there are many ways to "tweak" the structure if it just doesn't work out.

However, I have observed and collected data on every minute of every FNO since I took office, and I'd like to point out that we generally have from 100 - 150 pilots participating in FNO, which is only a small proportion of our membership.

I am working to encourage a broad array of event types with a wider appeal, because apparently, having the same type of event every Friday night hasn't well served all our members.

Also, please let me remind you that, if you can't live without an "everybody fly to KXYZ" type event, lobby your local ARTCCs and/or VA events departments to create one. There will be three Friday nights a month open for locally sponsored events.

Ah, one last thing: in the pilot survey I completed in June, there was a strong preference stated for multiple adjacent ARTCC's to be staffed, and those preferences were taken into account in this new event design.

This type event may not be everybody's cup of tea, but the table is big enough for lots of different flavors of tea now. I can't wait to see the new variety of events that comes out of opening up three Fridays a month to ARTCC and VA events departments! Ultimately, I think there will be something for everyone.

Karen Dunbar

Events Director

VATUSA