You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Problems with FSX (using vista) and getting fsco and fsinn

Dave McNeil 1028030

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Hi, Dave. Will you download and install RecorderFSX from the download section of http://flightsim.apollo3.com . After it's installed, run FSX and tell me if this gives you an Addon's menu in FSX.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

I'll give it a shot Larry, and thanks. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks also to you D. Krempa, hope to see you in the air soon as well...

Dave McNeil.

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

OK.... now I think we're getting somewhere. The add-on menu appeared with no fan-fair but appeared to be a recorder function (huh..eh??).

I did not push any buttons or click anything, just verified add-on menu and exited.

Any more words of wisdom ??

Dave.

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

In the typical Canadian fashion I'm going to appologize and add a note for you. I was curious and printed off the messages from the lower toolbar (traffic light), I'm not sure if it would help but here it goes....

left top - Red light - message, FSwith FSCopilot isnt connected. Start FS or check configuration

left middle - Red light - Fwinn isnt connected. Start FSInn or check configuration.

left bottom - Red light - no text.

right top - Red light - RogerWilco is disabled on this computer.

right middle - Green light - Teamspeak is enabled. Dont start Teamspeak manually, let the software handle it for you.

right bottom - Yellow light - VATSIM Voice is enabled. Engine not started, you aren't connected to VATSIM.

The previous was from the "traffic light" icon in the lower toolbar, the following is from the FS icon right beside it to the left (cannot read exactly)

Text box :

Auostart FSFDT Control Panel with Windows ............. unchecked

Autostart FSFDT Control Panel with Flight Simulator ............... checked

FSFDT Control Panel Top most window ............. unchecked

Dont know if this helps .... but anything I can possibly relay to you, just let me know ....

Dave.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Hi, Dave, you might have already verified, but will you do this again. uninstall FSCopilot and FSInn. Then follow the instructions in this link:

Announcement - Installing FSInn

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=20466

If you have a problem or any question, don't hesitate to ask. Try to do the steps as close to exact as possible.

---------------------------------------

Hi, Dave. Will you post your dll.xml file from %appdata%\microsoft\fsx .

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Ok, I uninstalled FSInn and FSCopilot, re-installed them both, clicked "run as administrator" tabs in the 3 files I was instructed to, ran those same 3 programs once only, clicked on chat (and exited 2wice which bothers me as the 2nd time you hit "x" to close the window, I get a box asking me if I want to close FSInn, which I do), turn off uac, start FSX, select an airport and starting ramp, fire up the game and still no control panel. I have the add-on selection on the toolbar now but only because of the recorder, and the menu under the add-on section are recorder functions only

The file you requested that I post,.... I cannot find. I did a search of my files and still could not locate anything close. Is there any help you give me to locate this?

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
The file you requested that I post,.... I cannot find. I did a search of my files and still could not locate anything close. Is there any help you give me to locate this?

Did you type: %appdata%\microsoft\fsx in the file explorer address bar to go to the area where the file is located?

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Hi again... I did a file search as indicated... no such file found anywhere.

Dave

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hi again... I did a file search as indicated... no such file found anywhere.

Dave

Do you know what the explorer bar is? It won't involve a search. Did you type the line I gave you into the File Explorer bar exactly the way I gave it to you?

Will you type here what you typed into the explorer bar so that I can see what you're doing wrong?

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Ok ... 1st of all I guess I dont exactly know what the explorer bar is .... but I will try to explain what I have done so-far.

I clicked on the windows button on the bottom left corner (for accessing programs, shut downs, re-starts etc. ) and selected the search bar from the right side menu, where the control panel, games, computer are located.

Sorry Larry , I guess I don't know what the explorer tool bar is..... I told you that someone with alot of patience was required to help me out, please stick with it, I will get it with your help soon enough.

I typed it in 2 ways with no luck

1st -%appdata%\microsoft\fsx

2nd - C:\%appdata%\microsoft\fsx

no file found either way.

Dave

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Ok ... 1st of all I guess I dont exactly know what the explorer bar is ....

Then that would mean that you couldn't do it. If I ask you do to something you don't understand, I don't mind you asking me to explain.

[quot] but I will try to explain what I have done so-far.

I clicked on the windows button on the bottom left corner (for accessing programs, shut downs, re-starts etc. ) and selected the search bar from the right side menu, where the control panel, games, computer are located.

Sorry Larry , I guess I don't know what the explorer tool bar is..... I told you that someone with alot of patience was required to help me out, please stick with it, I will get it with your help soon enough.

No problem. I have patience.

I typed it in 2 ways with no luck

1st -%appdata%\microsoft\fsx

2nd - C:\%appdata%\microsoft\fsx

no file found either way.

It's not a searchable string. It's a particular location. Adding what you put for the "2nd" isn't a valid location. You don't have to guess. I'm giving you specifics to type in.

Click on start --> Computer .

What you see now is the File Explorer. The address field is the area were you see a little computer and the word computer. Replace that with "%appdata%\microsoft\fsx" (without the quotes of course). Then press ENTER. Open up notepad, then drag and drop the dll.xml file to notepad. Then copy and paste the content of that file into your message to me, or post that you're having problem understanding and I'll go into even more minute detail.

Again, I don't mind answering your questions and helping. I'm patient.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Hi Larry ... I think we got it here.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

FSCopilot

False

Modules\FSCopilot.dll

Object Placement Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

Traffic Toolbox

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

Visual Effects Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll

Is this it???

Dave.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Hi, Dave. Something is missing from yoru dll.xml file. I don't see the "recorder" block. Can you explain why?

I'm trying to identify what you've done wrong. The steps I gave you (outside the regular install and setup) are important for me to be able to trace your system's environment.

Did you run an uninstall utility to remove it? Do you have an addons menu now?

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

My appologies again Larry, as soon as I verified that the add-on menu was present on the toolbar after loading FSRecorder, I used The windows uninstall utility to remove it. I have, since receiving your reply this am, reloaded FSRecorder and re-verified that the add-on is indeed back on the toolbar and appears to be functioning, although I have not tried any parts of the program to see for sure (no real flights, just sitting at the gates).

I have re- copied the dll file and have included it with this reply

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>

-

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

-

FSCopilot

False

Modules\FSCopilot.dll

-

Object Placement Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

-

Traffic Toolbox

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

-

Visual Effects Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll

-

FS Recorder Module

False

False

C:\Program Files\FS Recorder for FSX\RecorderFSX.dll

Dave.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Looking back at the thread I see you made a reference to turning off your firewall. I want to mention that turning off your firewall was never one of my suggestions. I do want to know, however, did you give full access to the three modules, as mentioned in the Install instructions, to your Firewall/AV programs.

Also, how many Firewall/AV programs are you running? and what are they?

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Larry .... I set the compatibility mode to "run as administrator" as per the install instructions on all three files indicated.

I turned off uac as requested.

To the best of my knowledge, I am only running the one firewall/AV program which is the Norton Anti-virus and firewall program. the reason I answer this question with a little trepidation is that on my control panel, I have an Icon for Windows Firewall, which I can access and "un-restrict" specific programs such as FSX, FSCopilot and FSInn. I think my only option with Norton is to turn off the firewall period, you would be able to straighten me out on that account I'me sure.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Larry .... I set the compatibility mode to "run as administrator" as per the install instructions on all three files indicated.

I turned off uac as requested.

To the best of my knowledge, I am only running the one firewall/AV program which is the Norton Anti-virus and firewall program. the reason I answer this question with a little trepidation is that on my control panel, I have an Icon for Windows Firewall, which I can access and "un-restrict" specific programs such as FSX, FSCopilot and FSInn. I think my only option with Norton is to turn off the firewall period, you would be able to straighten me out on that account I'me sure.

The Firewall/AV check and the Compatibility mode check are different parts. I’m almost certain the problem has to do with your firewall blocking the connection. I was slow about looking at this because you had mentioned you tested it with the firewall turned off (of which I wouldn’t recommend).

You may notice that there’s a session that has one trouble shooting check and that was the firewall. If you haven’t particularly given full access to the modules, they are probably blocked.

You can check in Norton 2007 (depending on the version) by doing the following:

Bring up the Norton Protection Center -> (Click on the tab) Norton Internet Security -> Settings -> Personal Firewall -> Configure -> Program Control -> [scroll and look for the three modules, “FSFDTCPâ€

sticky:

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Ok Larry.... I checked everywhere for the settings tab of the Norton protection centre and could find absolutely no referance to firewall settings.

Is it possible that the Norton anti-virus program is only handling the virus and tracking programs and windows is handling the firewall portion of the internet protection??

If so, I have learned quite a bit more about this system since starting this little adventure.

I hate to tell you this as I appear to be guilty of getting ahead of you and not asking for help when required, but disregard this next entry if its making your job harder in diagnosing my problem and I will get the hint on your next response.

I went into the Windows firewall program (accessed through control panel), clicked on settings, clicked on the exceptions tab and first selected fsfdt from the program list, clicked on the properties tab and the file path listed the following...

C:\program files\fsfdt\control panel\fsfdtcp.exe

I thought this was pretty cool so I performed the same operation on the next item on the list which was FSInn application, and when i clicked on properties I got the following...

C:\program files\fsfdt\fwinn\fwinn.exe

These two paths included 2 of the three modules you mentioned in your previous text, but nowhere could i find a file to allow FSInnUI.

I tried to check my susscription to Norton to try to find out exactly what version I am running and was unable to locate that info. I think I am running 2007 (saw a referance to version 14. ? . ?) but the referance did not list a version year.

I hope this helps more than hinders...

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Larry... I thought I should further explain the tab that you requested I locate to set the firewall protection. I have an icon in the lower tool bar for the Norton Protection Centre. When I click on it, a menu appears with a Norton Protection centre tab, ( this window also has a tab labelled Norton Anti-virus) which in turn lists 3 catagories, the first is Basic PC Security and this section has 9 sub-catagories as listed in order - Windows account control, Protection updates, Spyware protection, Windows automatic update, Full system scan, Virus protection, Inbound firewall, Spyware definitions, and Internet Explorer settings.

All of these Items have a Green box beside them except for Windows account control which has a 1/2 sized (compared to other green boxes) grey box beside it. all I can see in this section is a "learn more" icon, which when clicked just displays the features of the program, nowhere can I find a button or link that will allow me to adjust any settings.

Am I in the right spot to perform the requested operations ???

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi, Dave. I'll be available to connect with you on teamspeak (Click Here To Test or to Log on to the TeamSpeak Server) at your convenience anytime Sunday or Monday that you specify, to help you to connect to VATSIM. Please give me at least a 12 hour notice to adjust my schedule to accommodate. Please give the time as in this format 2:00pm EST. Change the EST for your timezone and I'll do the calculation to know what time.

If you don't have the TS client (TeamSpeak) currently installed on your computer you can download it at: http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads&id=1a .

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Edited by Guest

sticky:

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Thanks for taking the extra time and effort, Larry. Very much appreciated.

How does 0900 oct 7, 2007 (MST) sound?? Is this too early in the AM?? Also should mention we are observing Daylight savings time currently (MDT).

After I post this reply I will download teamspeak and will hopefully have no problems with it. I will also monitor this forum in case the time listed is inconveniant for you, or I have problems with teamspeak. I guess if there are no further entries in this forum than we will chat tommorrow.... Thanks again

Dave.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Thanks for taking the extra time and effort, Larry. Very much appreciated.

How does 0900 oct 7, 2007 (MST) sound?? Is this too early in the AM?? Also should mention we are observing Daylight savings time currently (MDT).

After I post this reply I will download teamspeak and will hopefully have no problems with it. I will also monitor this forum in case the time listed is inconveniant for you, or I have problems with teamspeak. I guess if there are no further entries in this forum than we will chat tommorrow.... Thanks again

Dave.

Yes, I can accommodate it. I just set Serinfo for your local Airport. I use Servinfo's clocks to see in a synchronized way what time it is with others I'm communicating with. KDEN shows UTC-6, which is currently 12:44PM while my local time is 2:44PM.

If you want to load Servinfo and see what I'm talking about you'll find a link to the download in the PRC. You can click on the clock and type in my ICAO which is KBUF.

Let me know if you think I'm misinterpreting your local time, which we are using.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Thanks Larry .... the times seem to be accurate, 9 A.M. my time , 11 A.M. your time. I hate to sound stupid but not sure how and where to use servinfo? and unsure of what PRC is.

I downloaded teamspeak and tested connection and all seems ok, unsure of exactly what I am going to do in the AM though.

When I sign on to the server and type in www.apollo.com as the address, is the connection automatic when you connect??

I have never used this program before.

Dave.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Thanks Larry .... the times seem to be accurate, 9 A.M. my time , 11 A.M. your time. I hate to sound stupid but not sure how and where to use servinfo? and unsure of what PRC is.

I downloaded teamspeak and tested connection and all seems ok, unsure of exactly what I am going to do in the AM though.

When I sign on to the server and type in www.apollo.com as the address, is the connection automatic when you connect??

I have never used this program before.

Dave.

Servinfo (as well as vroute – www.vroute.net ) is a tool to view where there’s ATC coverage and pilot traffic on the VATSIM network. It’s mentioned (as well as the link) in the PRC. You can get to the PRC (Pilot Resource Center) by clicking on the bold red letters that says, “New Pilots Start Hereâ€

sticky:

• 2 weeks later...
Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Anybody following this thread looking for the resolution, I concluded the problem to be something at flaw with the OS installation. My suggestions to the client was to backup all the data on the computer and reinstall the OS and follow the steps in the FSInn Help forum. He did, that resolved the missing addon menu.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky: