You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flying with VATUSA. Voice Disappears.

Gerry Hattendorf 935415

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Greetings!

Since I've been flying with VATSIM, and using ServInvo on a second computer, I've noticed that after establishing comminucations with the ATC controler (mostly KZLA and KZAB) that I can start out with 5/5 voice, but something (I'm just flying the plane and not messing around with my connection settings) happens, I can still hear voice from ATC, but for some unknown reason, (not time/distance dependant) I will get an an instrction from ATC that I don't hear! I do see it in the SB# text box however, and I can acknowledge via voice, then we have 5/5 voice two-way again.

I've messed around with the Voice Settings, I have a broadband connection, but I'm still flying with FS2002, on a Win2000 o/s.

Please don't laugh, (I've heard of other simmers having the same problem.

I just hate to file, and fly somewhere, and ending having to squaak 7600, cause my da### radio doesn't work!

Any Input here would be appriceated!!

Gerry Hattendorf

PS Like what you do! Almost like the real thing!! (except the paychecks, of coruse!!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Greetings!

Since I've been flying with VATSIM, and using ServInvo on a second computer, I've noticed that after establishing comminucations with the ATC controler (mostly KZLA and KZAB) that I can start out with 5/5 voice, but something (I'm just flying the plane and not messing around with my connection settings) happens, I can still hear voice from ATC, but for some unknown reason, (not time/distance dependant) I will get an an instrction from ATC that I don't hear! I do see it in the SB# text box however, and I can acknowledge via voice, then we have 5/5 voice two-way again.

I've messed around with the Voice Settings, I have a broadband connection, but I'm still flying with FS2002, on a Win2000 o/s.

Please don't laugh, (I've heard of other simmers having the same problem.

I just hate to file, and fly somewhere, and ending having to squaak 7600, cause my da### radio doesn't work!

Any Input here would be appriceated!!

Gerry Hattendorf

PS Like what you do! Almost like the real thing!! (except the paychecks, of coruse!!

Hey there Gerry.

Are you using any sort of router, or firewall hardware or software? If so, that may be causing it. There are a couple of posts flying around about that, as well as the ports that need to be opened up at the router or firewall so this will work. Let us know which of the above you're using, and we'll get you what you need.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Hey Brad!

Thanks for your reply!

My home network is behind a LINYSYS firewall, but I don't think thats my problem.

I can establish a voice port with ATC, talk back and forth, but fot whatever reason, I can still hear, ATC on voice to other A/C, and for some reason it just's goes dead. (voice) I can still see ATC and pilots on TEXT, but as soon as I key up the mike or I should say "toggle" the

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

Gerry

maybe your voice ports are timing out (some weird UDP setting I don't really understand so I couldn't explain in thorough detail)

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Hey Brad!

Thanks for your reply!

My home network is behind a LINYSYS firewall, but I don't think thats my problem.

I can establish a voice port with ATC, talk back and forth, but fot whatever reason, I can still hear, ATC on voice to other A/C, and for some reason it just's goes dead. (voice) I can still see ATC and pilots on TEXT, but as soon as I key up the mike or I should say "toggle" the

Happen to know which model you're using? I currently have a Linksys router and WAP set up (WRT54G) and have had no problems after opening the required ports. I used to have the 802.11b equivalent BEFW11S4), which has had nothing but problems since Linksys released it (see dslreports.com for more details). But list which router you have, and I'll post the info on the ports that should be open for you.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Sebastien Dauby 846552
Posted
Posted

Hello Gerry. I have the same problem, and stated the problems I was getting in another post. Do you have a Linksys router?

Brad, I see that you used to have the Linksys Router BEFW11S4. That is the one that I currently have, and it is probably the cause of the problem. I opened all the necessary ports, but still have problems. Were you able to get it working, and if so, how?

Thanks,

Sébastien

P.S. I am not trying to take over Gerry's original post/question.

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys!,

I'm using a Linksys BEFSX41. Like I said, it's really weird that I can hear other pilots, and of course your can't determine if the "radio silence" is because I'm not receivng data on that port, or just because nobodys talking!

Thanks again,

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Andras Kiss 888081
Posted
Posted

I tried port Fowarding, dosnt help, I have the same issue sometimes, you just have to open the port again by clicking your PTT, its annoying but oh well

Andras Kiss

NYARTCC Controller 3, NYARTCC Mentor

NYARTCC [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant Webmaster

3.png

Sebastien Dauby 846552
Posted
Posted

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "PTT" mean?

Thanks.

Jim Karn 850752
Posted
Posted

PTT=Push-To-Talk

Regards,

Jim Karn

2mdotvp.png

Sebastien Dauby 846552
Posted
Posted

How obvious!

Thanks!

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Hello Gerry. I have the same problem, and stated the problems I was getting in another post. Do you have a Linksys router?

Brad, I see that you used to have the Linksys Router BEFW11S4. That is the one that I currently have, and it is probably the cause of the problem. I opened all the necessary ports, but still have problems. Were you able to get it working, and if so, how?

Thanks,

Sébastien

P.S. I am not trying to take over Gerry's original post/question.

Ahh.. here we go.

http://www.fsuniverse.com/zla/viewtopic.php?t=3575&highlight=befw11s4

This explains the problem I had with the BEFW11S4, the research I did for it at dslreports.com (btw, the forum has a single thread open with 35 pages of posts of nothing but trouble with this model. search for "Post Your BEFW11S4 V4 Issues Here" there).

I immediately took mine back, paid the extra $35 at the time, and bought the WRT54G, and haven't had a problem since.

I have my FS/ATC machine hardwired to the router, and given a static address. With that, I could forward the ports needed over to it:

Port Forward Settings

That is all that was needed for me. both Squawkbox and ASRC are working fine. Even AVC works with this.

Try this first, and if it doesn't work, definitely trash the BEFW11S4 and go with the WRT54G, at the least.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Sebastien Dauby 846552
Posted
Posted

Brad,

Thanks for the link. The problems described there are the exact ones I am experiencing. I have tried port forwarding, and when I run a port scan, I notice that the ports supposedly opened on the router are actually closed! I can’t seem to get them open.

I guess I will just need to get a new router. I have had this router for about 2 years, so I guess it's time for an upgrade. I'll look into the WRT54G.

For the time being, I have been hooking my computer up directly to the modem, and do not have any problems.

One final question. You said that you "hardwired" your computer to the router. What do you mean by this, and what are advantages of doing so?

Thanks for your help.

Sébastien

Matthew Kramer
Posted
Posted

He means there is a wire literally running from his computer directly into the router. As opposed to running to a wireless station, and having it be sent via the air, in waves.

The advantages are in the areas of speed and lag. While simply browing the internet, you would not notice a difference. However, on VATSIM, the m[Mod - Happy Thoughts] amount of data needed to be sent and recived, would take much longer to send through waves, as it would to be conencted dirrectly to the internet. If you stayed wireless, then you would noticed problems in speed, framerates, and connectivity. If your wired directly in, the information to get from A to B much faster.

I like to be hardwired as well becasue there is no reason for me to be wireless, as I don't have a laptop

-Matt

(P.S. Wireless was desinged for people who have laptops and needed/wanted to work at places other than their desk, but not have to be near a jack to get online. Not for flightsimmers.)

ZLA DATM, I1

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Gee Whiz folks!

Don't mean to take this thread away from you guys, but since I made the post, does anyone know why the voice disappears?

My router is open (both directions) on the voice port, yet after a short period will go silent. I've tried to change keyboard [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignements for PPT, but to no avail.

Any help would be appriceiatd!!

Gerry

PS My intent was not to stir up any flames, just want to figure this SOB problem!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Sebastien Dauby 846552
Posted
Posted

Hey Gerry,

Sorry if I took the post away from you. I figured since we both have sinliar problems, we may both be able to see if we both have the same root problem, be it router or whatever.

Matthew Kramer
Posted
Posted

What sort of Mic are you using? USB?

How many soundcards do you have? 1 or 2?

Do you route all sound through one speaker system? Or do you have voice through the headphones and all others somewhere else?

-Matt

ZLA DATM, I1

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

First to Sebastien,

No applogies are necessary, intermittent voice is as frustrating to me as I much be really frustrating to ATC!

To Matt,

No I've just have a integrated SoundMax a Dell Dimension 4300S, with some no-name brand mic I picked up at office depot.

I get 5/5 radio checks every time, and I cant recall ATC never responding to my voice query, so it seems my issue is receiving sound.

I don't have a port scanner, and none of you fine folks jumped up and screamed about my router.

I flew yesterday, and as an experiment when I would get that "cone of silence", I would key the mic and could hear the world again! I couldn't detect any pattern that would put me in the "cone".

Thanks again for all your help!

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Matthew Kramer
Posted
Posted
First to Sebastien,

To Matt,

No I've just have a integrated SoundMax a Dell Dimension 4300S, with some no-name brand mic I picked up at office depot.

I get 5/5 radio checks every time, and I cant recall ATC never responding to my voice query, so it seems my issue is receiving sound.

So voice comes through the same speakers as the other noise? While it might cost money, I would suggest getting a USB headset. This will allow all the COMMs to be routed through to your headset.

You could also get a second sound card, but that is more expensive, and will require more work overall.

It seems to me that the problem lies with your motherboard and soundcard in general. It just does not like the software for VATSIM. The USB headset- or a new soundcard- should fix some of that. I would suggest going to an electronics/gaming shop and looking for one with a decent return policy, then test it out at home, and see if it's any better.

-Matt

ZLA DATM, I1

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Matt,

Thanks for the ideas, the USB headset sounds interesting... Unfortunatly my cheapie Dell only has two PCI slots, one is used by the NIC, and they have to be half/sized cards (urrgggg) which limits the selection of sound cards. (Also, hate to throw good money after bad, a new box IS THE SOULUTION, but...)

Not being a geek, do you know what port(s) the sound (to the internet) is using?

Thanks!

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Sebastien Dauby 846552
Posted
Posted

Gerry,

I am pretty sure it is Port 3290 UDP that must be opened to ensure voice receive and send.

Sebastien

Matthew Kramer
Posted
Posted

I don't know exactly what ports are used, I opend 2300-2800 for use in FS.

Then I have open 4 specific ports for ASRC use.

Lastly, I run virus checks every week and spyware/adware checks every 2 weeks, and I don't buy many things online. When I do, I run all the checks before, during, and after the download.

ZLA DATM, I1

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Is it a single port for both transmit and receive???

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Sebastien Dauby 846552
Posted
Posted

I think it's the same for both receive and send, but I am not sure. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Sebastien

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
I think it's the same for both receive and send, but I am not sure. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Sebastien

See the link to the image I posted.

What you'll need for SB3/voice is ports 3782 and 3783, on both UDP and TCP protocols. ASRC and voice for that will need port 3290, also on both UDP and TCP. That will get voice working for you.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller