You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flying with VATUSA. Voice Disappears.

Gerry Hattendorf 935415

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

See the link to the image I posted.

What you'll need for SB3/voice is ports 3782 and 3783, on both UDP and TCP protocols. ASRC and voice for that will need port 3290, also on both UDP and TCP. That will get voice working for you.

BL.

Thanks for that info Brad!

Maybe I'm going blind, but where exactly is the link to the image??

Thanks again,

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

See the link to the image I posted.

What you'll need for SB3/voice is ports 3782 and 3783, on both UDP and TCP protocols. ASRC and voice for that will need port 3290, also on both UDP and TCP. That will get voice working for you.

BL.

Thanks for that info Brad!

Maybe I'm going blind, but where exactly is the link to the image??

Thanks again,

Gerry

Here ya go!

http://www.spodmail.com/~tyketto/wrt54g.jpg

this is what I have set up on the WRT54G. It should be the same for the BEFW11S4.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Marc Sykes 852946
Posted
Posted

I think this is not quite correct. 3782 and 3783 were the old Roger Wilco ports, but SB3 and AVC now use 3290, same as ASRC (which is why you'll have serious issues if you start SB3 while ASRC is still terminating or vice versa, as some of us can attest). So if you open port 3290 TCP and UDP, you should be good to go.

Also, if you haven't established a static IP address for your PC, it is a really good idea to do so. www.portforward.com can give you specific instructions on how to do this for just about any kind of router. Do the static IP address first, make note of it, then forward port 3290 to that specific internal IP.

I agree with BL and other posters in that I suspect a firewall issue here, so I don't recommend buying another headset or sound card.

Marc Sykes

Toronto ACC Trainee

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all,

Going to try port forwarding on all your recommended ports, connect to SB3, sit on the ground somewhere, and ask any of you fine ATC folks to ask me for radio checks, while I monitor those ports.

Not confirmed, but it makes a whole lot of sense!!!

Thank you all, keep ya posted as to what I find out!

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted
[i think this is not quite correct. 3782 and 3783 were the old Roger Wilco ports, but SB3 and AVC now use 3290, same as ASRC (which is why you'll have serious issues if you start SB3 while ASRC is still terminating or vice versa, as some of us can attest). So if you open port 3290 TCP and UDP, you should be good to go.

Also, if you haven't established a static IP address for your PC, it is a really good idea to do so. www.portforward.com can give you specific instructions on how to do this for just about any kind of router. Do the static IP address first, make note of it, then forward port 3290 to that specific internal IP.

I agree with BL and other posters in that I suspect a firewall issue here, so I don't recommend buying another headset or sound card.

Marc,

You are absoullety correct, port 3290 is what SB3 is using for voice, and after port forwarding with UDP & TCP, had a test with Aarron F., (he was kind enough to transmit r/c's to me every couple of minutes) and no drops, comm loss etc!

I'm sure you guys will like to resolve the frustration that the "flippin" pilot isn't paying attention on voice either.

You should publish a post on AVSIM (with all the spare time on your hands,,, but what the heck, look at all the money you can make!! lol) that might help newbeeies set this up correctly, and maybe help a few lost souls to have great experience on the internet.

Again, many many thanks for your your (and everone else's) input to this matter!!

Cheers to ya all!

Gerry Hattendorf

EDIT: To Sebastien !! SO SORRY my friend, you said it first!! Cheers!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

I think this is not quite correct. 3782 and 3783 were the old Roger Wilco ports, but SB3 and AVC now use 3290, same as ASRC (which is why you'll have serious issues if you start SB3 while ASRC is still terminating or vice versa, as some of us can attest). So if you open port 3290 TCP and UDP, you should be good to go.

Cool! I learned something new here! closing those ports on my router right now! Thanks, MS!!

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Hrm! Could a problem with my SB3 not releasing the voice port cause my ASRC to hang on startup (without any map displaying) unless I reboot my machine?? That's been driving me nutso.

Marc Sykes 852946
Posted
Posted

Quite possibly, although that could also be an error downloading the server data file (I believe it's called vatsim.loc). I think everybody gets that one from time to time (meaning, once a month or so in my case, on average). If it's happening constantly and you frequently start ASRC immediately after terminating SB3, though, or if SB3 isn't shutting down properly (might want to check Task Manager for that), it certainly could be related.

Marc Sykes

Toronto ACC Trainee