You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can I fly as Air Force One? How should I file the plan?

Victor Lima 889733

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just happened to see this over in the Squawkbox forums:

Air Force 1 callsign has been using AF1 for a few months now. There was an FAA GENOT issued this summer, I do not remember which number exactly.

The SAM callsigns show up as S28000 and S29000.

Anyone know how to view GENOTs on the web, or have access to them? Here's the thread this was posted in:

http://squawkbox.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13250#13250

Edited by Guest

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Pablo Norambuena 857610

• Stuart Guberman 897696

• Andrew Steinberg 939662

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 9 posts

• Pablo Norambuena 857610

Pablo Norambuena 857610 6 posts

• Stuart Guberman 897696

Stuart Guberman 897696 5 posts

• Andrew Steinberg 939662

Andrew Steinberg 939662 5 posts

Popular Days

• Sep 19 2005

24 posts

• Sep 17 2005

14 posts

• Sep 20 2005

13 posts

• Sep 26 2005

4 posts

Marc Glorioso 810788
Posted
Posted
Anyone know how to view GENOTs on the web, or have access to them?

I tried to find it before posting it in the whole A1/AF1/AFR1 debate. I will see what I can scare up when I go to work.

VATSIM Membership North America Manager

VATUSA Senior Controller

FAA ZDC Not-So-Senior Controller

5010.png

Jeff Clark
Posted
Posted

I will happily accept the text of an FAA Genot as evidence of a change in regs... Looking forward to seeing any text you can dig up Mark.

Marc Glorioso 810788
Posted
Posted

GENOT # 5/29 (Notice N7110.409).....still working on full text (have to type it in when I get it).

VATUSA Senior Controller

5010.png

Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted

Ive seen the GENOT as well, AF1 is the callsign boys. Sorry to be so late into this "debate." Good job Pablo.

CMEL.CSEL.IA.AGI.CFI.CFII.MEI.CRJ2.FO.Furloughed

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png

Marc Glorioso 810788
Posted
Posted

VC-25 Flight Management Systems (FMS) uprades and subsequent implementation of Future Air Navigation (FANS) procedures has driven the need to reevaluate the Air Force One (A1) and Air Force Two (A2) call signs. Within FANS, the VC-25 now has the capability (operationally approved and certified) to obtain digital oceanic clearances (OCX) and utilize ATS datalink services to include automatic dependent surveillance (ADS) waypoint position reporting and controller pilot datalink communications (CPDLC). Unfortunatly, to utilize these services, the aircraft must register and file a call sign with at least three digits. As a stopgap measure, the presidential airlift group has filed A1/2 on all travel requireing a DD Form 1801. This has caused confusion since we still use the A1 and A2 for all conus flights. To alleviate confusion caused by dual callsign usage, change the abbreviated call signs for Air Force One and Two to AF1 and AF2 respectively. AF1 and AF2 will be used for all operations (conus and oconus) and all aircraft flying those missions.

VATUSA Senior Controller

5010.png

Jason Harris 877712
Posted
Posted

Now does the AF1 or AF2 only apply for oceanic flights? Or for domestic flights also? Not great on aviation/govenmentese so couldn't make it out for myself

Jason Harris

3712.png

Brian Schott 939274
Posted
Posted
Now does the AF1 or AF2 only apply for oceanic flights? Or for domestic flights also? Not great on aviation/govenmentese so couldn't make it out for myself

I think (though I may be wrong) this is it.

y. AF1 and AF2 will be used for all operations (conus and oconus) and all aircraft flying those missions.

CONtinental United States (CONUS)

OCONUS? Outside of the CONtinental United States?

Jason Harris 877712
Posted
Posted

Thanks Brian. My ignorance stretches far an wide, so I hadn't a clue what CONUS and OCONUS were referring to.

Jason Harris

3712.png

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

anyone else thought it was an obscure reference to some secret thing in latin?

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted

For the record, Clinton was switching between the 747 and 707 as Air Force One even up until the late 1990's. As a matter of fact, one of the 707's got stuck in the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] at KCMI around 1997 while he was visiting there.

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted

Actually, Bush 41 took posession of the first 747, though he may never have actually flown on it. He for sure toured the aircraft before he left office.

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Eric Stearns
Posted
Posted

I remember Bush 41 traveling during the '92 campaign aboard the 747...so he was able to use it for part of his presidency. I know they were using the 707s for airports that couldn't handle the 747 (Clinton flew on one to BUR after the '94 Northridge earthquake in Socal). Anyone know if they're (the 707s) still in service?

ZLA, Facility Engineer, C-3

• 1 year later...
Michael Gaston 924750
Posted
Posted

WOW!

What a read....

John Speranza 908835
Posted
Posted

Interesting that they didn't use A01 or A02 as a stopgap...Instead of AF1 and AF2....

Oh well....I guess that's how the world works. I'm convinced.

Jason Vitaliano 891638
Posted
Posted

If you as pilot want to fly as Air Force go for it.....I think Air Force 1 is very symbolic for most American's & I'm very happy that you asked first because I think that shows respect. I would have done the same thing if I wanted to fly another countries icon aircraft such as this. So by all measn enjoy the hobby & I think it's creatiove myself.

I hope whoever flies Air Force 1 has an enjoyable time..that's why we're all here.

Jason "Vito" Vitaliano

S3 Controller

vUSAF Pilot

Mike Fries
Posted
Posted

i thought separation between AF1 and other aircraft was no different than two regular IFR planes

0.png

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
i thought separation between AF1 and other aircraft was no different than two regular IFR planes

You're right.. in both the sense of Air France 1 and Air Force 1.

A01 doesn't garter any preferential treatment over any other aircraft here. I know I won't be telling the C172 5 miles ahead of A01 to get out of the way because the virtual president is on it..

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I know I won't be telling the C172 5 miles ahead of A01 to get out of the way because the virtual president is on it..

Yeah, there's a far more pressing reason to tell a 172 to get out of the way of a 747.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andras Kiss 888081
Posted
Posted
I know I won't be telling the C172 5 miles ahead of A01 to get out of the way because the virtual president is on it..

Yeah, there's a far more pressing reason to tell a 172 to get out of the way of a 747.

Hahaha Ross quite amusing

Andras Kiss

NYARTCC Controller 3, NYARTCC Mentor

NYARTCC [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant Webmaster

3.png

• 2 weeks later...
Robert Vipperman 982778
Posted
Posted
Hi guys. I'm terribly sorry if this has been asked before but I am new to these forums and although I conducted a search I didn't find anything relevant.

So my question is whether I'm allowed to fly a 747 while online with Vatsim using Air Force One as my aircraft identifier. If that can be done, I would further like to know what should I write in the flightplan so that the controlers will know what I'm talking about. Should it be VC-25B?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best regards,

Victor Lima

Is it just me, or did this post get way too long way too quick. Although I agree that in the broad range it stayed on topic, all I have to say is WOW. I am glad to see the bickering stopped by about page 1.5 . Nose up, Gear Down.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Is it just me, or did this post get way too long way too quick. Although I agree that in the broad range it stayed on topic, all I have to say is WOW. I am glad to see the bickering stopped by about page 1.5 . Nose up, Gear Down.

Bickering?!? This is common for the yearly Air Force One thread! You should have seen the ones some 5 - 6 years ago.. You you would have found nicer fights at soccer and hockey matches!

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller