You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

To the newbie - First Time Jitters

Thomas Parker

PJ Fiske 994529
Posted
Posted

Tom,

I love your post. That's exactly right. Of course one should read and prepare, but then ya just have to jump off that cliff and trust that your wings will fly! Theres a point where ya just gotta go for it!

Happy Contrails,

PJ

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wycliffe Barrett

• Robert Shearman Jr

• Thomas Parker

• Johan Grauers

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wycliffe Barrett

Wycliffe Barrett 47 posts

• Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr 31 posts

• Thomas Parker

Thomas Parker 24 posts

• Johan Grauers

Johan Grauers 18 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 17 2005

19 posts

• Jan 3 2021

12 posts

• Aug 18 2010

11 posts

• Feb 14 2006

9 posts

Popular Posts

Thomas Parker

I was just reading the other thread, "New to this Simulation and Forums".   Andras Kiss wrote:   Oh man... me too. When I found VATSIM, I was completely stoked about trying it out. It sounded e

Tobias Dammers

Totally. You can even take it a step further and anticipate the clearance you will get - it always comes in the same form ("{your callsign}, you are cleared to {destination} via the {SID} departure, [

Wycliffe Barrett

Sadly all my cats are long gone. We now have a Labradoodle called Frank. he is the biggest friendliest labradoodle in the world. here is with my wife last weekend   

Posted Images

Kirk Raisch 1107915
Posted
Posted

Tom is exactly right. I've been flying in uncontrolled airspace ever since I joined VATSIM, and tonight was my first foray in to being manhandled by ATC. I stuttered and um'd my way through it...all the while hoping that I stuck to my procedures, and it was a blast. No amount of preparation is going to steel you 100%. It's better to jump in and make your mistakes early, because this really is the only way to fly.

Big ups to the KSEA staff.

Tom Wilson 910643
Posted
Posted

Folks,

Thanks for the kind words. If i've helped to push just one person to go for it then it'd be worth it. Although, lets hope controllers dont get an onlsauhgt of "hoi,,is it aurite for me to go now"

Rgds,

tom.

Jean-Paul Havard 1112808
Posted
Posted

OK I think I ll start here......(before being flamed out:o)) )

I AM A NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!( I am sorry if it is the wrong place to write and ask questions)

I have read PRC's

I have installed FSInn, Squawk box (Not sure I need it to talk!!!) Servinfo

I have configured PTT and test es I can hear myself in headphone

I can hear ATC chatting (with their private matter on a Comm channel!!!!!!!!) so I can hear the comms ......

first:

I have enterd into vatsim my user ID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, vatsim (using FSInn) sends me a message welcoming me on the Network. When into option/ setting/ Network I check on vatsim, the message is You r not connected to vatsim.

I then receive an ATC meesaage that the regulation means I have to use my real name to log in.

P L E A S E Someone could tell me where in the window I can put my real name..... sorry I must be stupid......

Otherwise neat little program..........

Hoope to hear from someone.....

Many thanks and regards from New Zealand

JP

[email protected]

Kirk Raisch 1107915
Posted
Posted

JP,

To enter your real name in to FSInn all you need to do is click the SET button on the FSInn UI and navigate to the General > Basic tab. You'll see a box asking for your callsign and the one below that is where you want to enter your name. It should say User Infos. Bear in mind that there are two places that you'll need to enter in your callsign. The first is under the basic tab, the second is under Network > Vatsim and titled Net Specific Callsign.

If you need a little more help,

is a tutorial video on youtube that'll walk you through everything you need to do to get you flying.

Alexander Nolting 887789
Posted
Posted
JP,

To enter your real name in to FSInn all you need to do is click the SET button on the FSInn UI and navigate to the General > Basic tab. You'll see a box asking for your callsign and the one below that is where you want to enter your name. It should say User Infos. Bear in mind that there are two places that you'll need to enter in your callsign. The first is under the basic tab, the second is under Network > Vatsim and titled Net Specific Callsign.

is a tutorial video on youtube that'll walk you through everything you need to do to get you flying.

Oh, no! This Net Specific Callsign has a very special function, don't set it. This isn't intended to be used on the VATSIM network, it is more likely usefull for VA FSD networks.

“the biggest enemy of freedom are happy slaves“

Jean-Paul Havard 1112808
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys for a prompt reply:

Do I use set or don t I??? lololo.......

I ll try anyway to navigete.. the only thing I can see is grey windows that does not appear to let me enter anything....

Anyway the challenge is here, let s try to crak it )))

Cheers

JP

Kirk Raisch 1107915
Posted
Posted
JP,

Oh, no! This Net Specific Callsign has a very special function, don't set it. This isn't intended to be used on the VATSIM network, it is more likely usefull for VA FSD networks.

Well okay then.

JP,

The tutorial I linked should still get you where you need to be, just ignore the bit about Net Specific Callsigns.

Alan Rushton 1112517
Posted
Posted

hey, im a noob, and yet to file my first plan and talk to you guys doing the atc, del and twr......ect...

but did spawn up at a gate at egcc to listen in and got this messege from atc, shouldve kept his name on file but hey...

the mesege was like this

egcc to WT775 ...you have not filed a plan so dont ask for clearence!

errr ok i replied so I am somewhat put off by this of even filing a plan...I know its a serious sim, but surley this chap must have had ahair pulling day with too many pilots altering alt without consent....

dont get me wrong, im not one of these idiots that want to just take off and dive bomb every jet as you get in gamespy version, i would love to fly a simulated real flight and until i understand the ins and outs am affraid to look stupid or be sneered at.

anyway, you guys have a great thing going on here and would love to be part of it all so im off to read up on more and see if there are any charts for the airports as jeppessen charts are no longer avail from april 2009....dang i missed out there didnt I???

but would love to hear more tips and advice as iread on...

keep up the fab work guys

Alex Williams 1017795
Posted
Posted

errr ok i replied so I am somewhat put off by this of even filing a plan...I know its a serious sim, but surley this chap must have had ahair pulling day with too many pilots altering alt without consent....

dont get me wrong, im not one of these idiots that want to just take off and dive bomb every jet as you get in gamespy version, i would love to fly a simulated real flight and until i understand the ins and outs am affraid to look stupid or be sneered at.

Don't pay too much attention to grumpy controllers, just keep telling yourself that you aren't like them. Don't be too scared about making mistakes either. I've asked for clearance without posting my flightplan numerous times, i've taken a wrong directions during transition a few times and the list goes on. We all start out as noobs, the mistakes you make will help you to become more expierienced. And don't forget, whenever in doubt: ask.

"What comes up must come down"

Jean-Paul Havard 1112808
Posted
Posted

Ok I am stupid I can see that but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) I watched the you tube video 2x

2) The welcome message teels me ( welcomes me) on to the server!!!!!!!!!! ( I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume I am on line)

3) the FSSDT? (icon that looks like a set of light? tells me:)

FSInn connected

PPT button set up

BOTTOM right window: You are not connected to Vatsim

question? is FSInn and FSSDT? related work together or work separately?

When connecting with FSNav I can see around me the on line aircraft

I have de installed and re installed the fssdt, I have as previously advised enter user name/ p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word/ and my login ZK-BXR...........

Not the wisest.........

More question please?

I cannot seem to see ATC minded airport and tried:

KJFK

EGLL

LFPG

NZAA (My town)

None of them i have been able to listen to , see a frequency into the ATC windows.

Also I have noticed that my radio comms have changed.

the like they are controlled by the newly installed software.......

I am new, I am human, I have re re read the VATSIM ***** PRC manuals

I am sure someone may be able to highlight a lemon like me to join in the fun or Am I dreaming?

Thank you for any positive input

JP

Auckland

Steven Cullen
Posted
Posted

I am new, I am human, I have re re read the VATSIM ***** PRC manuals

I am sure someone may be able to highlight a lemon like me to join in the fun or Am I dreaming?

Thank you for any positive input

JP

Auckland

Hi Welcome to VATSIM, I see you are from your message that you are in NZ... have you tried the VATNZ forums? Someone there (who is in the same time zone as yourself) maybe able to talk you through the set up on MSN or Skype, if forum posts are not working for you.

I know Mark and all the VATNZ staff are all very good simmers dedicated to seeing everyone has a good time whilst flying in their airspace, so a small post on the forums there may help. I would try (being an Aussie neighbour), but alas I do not use FSInn and would only cause you more issues.

Michael Harvey 1112271
Posted
Posted

I've been on a few flights already, and last night was the one that made me most nervous, I was flying from a gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] strip in the middle of the Rockies in Montana (Meadow Creek USFS, FAA ID 0S1, not sure if it has an ICAO ID) to Helena Regional (KHLN) following the valleys. But the Helena approach controller was very courteous and calm, and actually made me feel better when he stumbled on my callsign.

Now I've read through the PRC and all, but I have a learning disability and have trouble learning how to do new things just by cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]room instruction or reading books, I have to go and actually DO whatever it is I want to learn how to do (the upside to this is I actually seem learn FASTER this way than most do).

So anyway, to any future controllers that my have me, just rememberthat ifI make a mistake, it's probably something new I am doing.

Also, for all sorts of management reasons, having a dual monitor (or in my case, HDTV and regular monitor) setup is very helpful.

Having airport charts in PDF form preloaded into Foxit Reader in the background is more so.

3151.png

If helicopters are so safe, how come there are no vintage/cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic helicopter fly-ins?

— Anon

Jean-Paul Havard 1112808
Posted
Posted

I GO IT....................

May I suggest a "POSITIVE" feed back

When installing/ setting up Vatsim in FSInn and or FSsdt, the given ( what [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed was) IP address in the connection box..... is NOT the default one ( again no mention of it anywhere)

So asking to human souls down here in the sunny Auckland region, I found out that (remember am a newbie) you can choose when you find the vatsim list of network available near you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and when selecting the Correct IP address/ server ITS works )))))))

So am all up and running and smilling.

Thank you for those precious feedback....... the issue was the wrong IP address.....

Cheers all happy vatsim........

JP

ZK-BXR

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted
I GO IT....................

May I suggest a "POSITIVE" feed back

When installing/ setting up Vatsim in FSInn and or FSsdt, the given ( what [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed was) IP address in the connection box..... is NOT the default one ( again no mention of it anywhere)

So asking to human souls down here in the sunny Auckland region, I found out that (remember am a newbie) you can choose when you find the vatsim list of network available near you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and when selecting the Correct IP address/ server ITS works )))))))

So am all up and running and smilling.

Thank you for those precious feedback....... the issue was the wrong IP address.....

Cheers all happy vatsim........

JP

ZK-BXR

Good man,

welcome to your new addiction!

cheers

Tom.

f1cert.gif

Harley Glossop 1111828
Posted
Posted

Well, after reading about everyones experiences i thought id read through the prc and give it a go, connected up at the gate at EGKK and filed a VFR flightplan to go north and come back to land.

Sat there for a bit listening to ATC, and it was fairly busy with about 5-10 planes so i thought id go upto heathrow where there were only 2 other planes to find out that its Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A aerospace so i connected back at gatwick. So i request clearance and get my taxi instructions, look at my chart and readback, thinking it would be fairly simple to get to my holding point....:S.....somehow i managed to end up in completly the wrong place, heard the ATC say there was some guy who had no idea where he was going and gave me instructions on how to get to the holding point..and i still ended up in the wrong place.

After thinking about it what actually happened is there was a 737 ahead facing me, and i was meant to turn left in front of it to get to my holding point, but instead of went off round it randomly and ended up half way down the runway thinking i was in roughly the right place.

Decided to reconnect at the gate and do it properly, this time getting to the runway with no problems, when i was given clearance for takeoff i hadnt realised that i had to wait to be told to go onto the runway, and was then told i had clearance to go onto the runway and takeoff when i was rumbling along at 60kts (Cessna 152 is nice and slow ).

After that i flew up north for a while, out past london before turning back nearly south so that i would come down to the west side of the airfield to line up for the runway without any problems, and then with trying to type and get to the right controller, was given clearance to land when i was at about 1500ft very close to the airfield (no idea how far away i actually was, i need to learn to navigate without just looking and thinking..yep that looks like where i should be) but with a fairly steep descent and landing nearly off the side of the runway i managed to land and turn off (oops, i was told to vacate left when able and to inform..when id just turned off right where i dont think was actually a taxiway so i went back to the runway and trundled along about to tell the ATC there were no left turns when i was told to exit right....put my wing into the ground turning off as i turned almost immediatly right at about 40 kts and stopped off the runway and told ATC. Good thing you cant crash in fs9

I then taxied to my gate as instructed, but had to go into the gate next to it as i didnt fancy parking under the 747 in my spot

Had a great time flying and i doubt ill ever fly offline again (havnt flown on fs for ages though anyway), sorry to the controllers earlier on tonight who mustve wondered what i was up to taxing around all over the place and sharpening my wing on the runway, at least i didnt get in the way of any aircraft.

All i can say after that flight is i gotta get back up in the air tomorrow

Frank Plummer 978437
Posted
Posted

I remember my first flight on the network like it was yesterday. Default Flight Simulator 9 B737, I spawned on the end of runway 09 at EGGD and to my shock and horror, there was a controller online. Haha, my hands were all shaky and I struggled to tune to his frequency, trying to remember what the default FS9 ATC spoke like, and I just typed it into Squawkbox. Something like "FP001 request takeoff clearence". Haha, looking back I can wholesomely understand the controllers frustration. I didn't even have a joystick, just a mouse, a keyboard, the monitor and the PC. I don't even think I had a microphone...

But he took me aside and told me, if I wanted to learn, I could join vBFC, an instructing group at Bristol. I did so and within a few weeks I was flying my first VFR circuit.

I haven't flown offline for years, except from to play with a new aircraft or test some new scenery. And even then, I do the old checks and tests at EGTG anyway. Huge runway. That's hardly ever manned anyway - I'm the only controller!!

Any Landing Is A Good One!

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

Text only, and i turned my "Noob Swag On"

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

John Collins 981005
Posted
Posted

Oh my god i was confused. One time i flew into LAX during a packed afternoon and i had no idea what a STAR was even though i filed for it.

Haha and my mom used to always bust in my room telling me to take out the trash and i kept telling her "Not now! im busy- i'm on a thing- i cant just PAUSE it it it -um -theres real people and like its- um UH JUST GET OUT PLEASE!"

Tanner Novak 1098567
Posted
Posted

On my first flight I filed IFR to Miami from LAX during the Oscar Night Fly-inn in the Level-D 767. Stupid idea. I had spent a fair amount of time listening to real world ATC so I knew how to talk and when to say what. But when it came to dial up the Clearance Delivery controller I about went hysterical, I asked for my clearance and the controller started talking, like, a zillion words per minute! I couldn't understand ANYTHING. I probably asked him to repeat himself 6 times before he finally put it into text.

Then when I read it back (or attempted to) he asked me, ".... Sir, are you speaking English?" I about died of embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ment. When I finally read it back he gave me the OK to go over to ground, the next couple transmissions were a little easier... Then I'm holding short of the runway and I get clearance to take off. It was kinda like those scenes in the movies where someone finally has a moment to prove them self to the world and the cheesy inspirational music comes on in the background. Anyway, I line up and takeoff on the via the LOOP4 departure and started to head toward Miami.

About an hour later I got a warning on my EICAS indicating low oil pressure in the number two engine. I kept an eye on it for a little while... then I get another warning: "FIRE ENGINE NUMBER 2". GREAT. Just what a noob needs on his first flight. An engine fire in the middle of one of the biggest events of the year.

That next half hour was HORRIBLE. Never before had I encountered an engine fire, so I asked ABQ_CTR, "What do I do in an engine fire?" So he ran me through the steps to cutoff fuel flow to the engine and shut it down. Eventually, I was able to land in Phoenix (as I was only 25nm east of the field when my engine caught fire). I look back at it now and laugh... No more engine fires for me!!!

4014.png

• 2 weeks later...
Mike Belden 1054128
Posted
Posted

Man, reading all of these first flight stories made mine feel like it went pretty well. Some parts.

My first full flight was from KSFO to KCLE with a 738. Before that, it took me an hour just to get things figured out. One time KSFO apprch was online, but I only thought I had to contact ground. Since ground wasnt online, I just used Unicom. As soon as I take off, I get this message telling me that I had no clearence to take off. That was bad. Other than that my flight was great. The MSP CTR 11 controller was very helpful. When I got to Cleveland airspace, the controller wanted me to do a loop around the airport and land at the active and report when the runway is sighted. I found the runway, but it was not even a half mile in front of me when I spotted it cause I was looking the wrong way and had to make a giant sharp turn to land.

I just now did a flight from KCAK to KMCO, and that went perfectly

Untitled-8.jpg

Blake Gray 841141
Posted
Posted

I have some timely advice for new flight simmers here on Vatsim.

I see some started out on FS9; haha ! I started with FS5.1; and there was even a FS3.1 I think !

On Vatsim, when times were easier it seemed, I was on 56K modem connection and thought I would never be able to sim here; was I ever wrong !

However landing into busy airports and trying to type and change freqs - my first attemps at landing in Atlanta landed me some 30 miles west on a small landing strip with no lights at night.

They hollared at me for not contacting ATC but in fact I had lagg issues; 56K and about 20 aircraft in the area can kinda put a damper on things; well they booted me, and I logged back on in midflight I think; it could have been a bad connection too cause it happens; servers split or go down; if yer techno saavy like I am you can reconnect on another open server that didnt have their connections broke by bad weather (!) only to find about 50 people on !

I was flying FS2000 ! I had loads of fun then went to FS2002 and tried the various Special Ops groups like VUSAF and VUSN; back then they were alot easier to fly with; now the training has improved 10 fold and realism seems to be the common place with Special Ops groups, which is great as long as we dont forget who we are: Flight Sim Hobbyists here, not military personnel !

Rank does have it's priviledges, and earning the badges takes time.

I found it easy to use Squawkbox and setup, especially since Squawkbox had military 'LOW-REZ' aircraft models so we could see what our comrads were flying in.

With that I suggest new users start out with Squawkbox as their comms with Vatsim ATC; if you want to get FSINN going you need to know some technical aspects of it otherwise you will run into many difficulties; I have NEVER had any major problems using Squawkbox and I use it as a back up.

Later on if you have multiple computers you can use Squawkbox or FSINN on one and have your flight sim on the other; Vatsim is a great way to flight sim online and experience near-real-world Air Traffic Control, and what it's like to file flight plans and fly the air traffic routes.

I have started a new VA which more appropriately is a VO - Virtual Organization as we not only fly sims, but we sim other gaming platforms like America's Army, Armed [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ault 2, and possibly COD4.

Neither are related to each other unless simmers want to be in that group, and we cater to new upcoming pilots (!); it's self-paced as well as progressive training; it will be a really great place for flight simmers to start on Vatsim.

I remember what it was like too in the beginning and how nervous I was (!); I hope to take that nervousness jitters out of new pilots right from the getgo ! Oh yeah and dont be afraid to start out on yer own abit; it's fun as heck, and ATC is more than willing to help 'A LITTLE'; they cant fly the plane for ya, and ya kind of have to fly where they tell ya, but it's fun to jump in head-first too on occasion aint it !? Just be careful where you jump, and 'think' before you leap !

And dont forget Vatsim's PRC in resources here ! Vatsim is based on a friendly flight-simming atmosphere, and has been around going on 10 years or so.

Good Luck Simmers And Fair Winds !

"Keep The Shiny Side Up And The Greasy Side Down !"

Live Streaming Simulators KSP, TKOM, FSX, ARK

Haydn Fleming 1115539
Posted
Posted

I am having all kinds of problems. Is the Vatsim server down. I am getting an error message while trying to file the flight plan. I would really like a Vatsim for dummies hand book if there is one. Is there a step by step guide to get going? Please excuse my ignorance. I am on probation and want to get the requisite flights in before I get terminated.

Alex Ramos 999218
Posted
Posted

My First flight was terrific. Granted I made all the newbie mistakes (No FP, radio not tuned, not reading the charts)

It was a simple VFR Flight out of Chicago Executive (Palwaukee mun KPWK 10nm N of KORD). Was gonna head to a little strip in NE Indiana. I taxiied my way and departed KPWK without a problem (minus a wicked crosswind). I had no idea what a cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace was, and found out the hard way as i made my way between 5 aircraft lined up to land at O'hare. (note to self: Cessna's and B757's dont mix). The CHI_APP controller, under some stress from the event, was not only able to get me through the rough and SE bound, but to tell me the altitudes of the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B, and how to work Squawkbox. Props to him.

Now Controlling in ZAB, I want to give back to the pilots, and mabye come across someone in my position. I'll know what to do.

Ramos

ZAB Instructor

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted
I am having all kinds of problems. Is the Vatsim server down. I am getting an error message while trying to file the flight plan. I would really like a Vatsim for dummies hand book if there is one. Is there a step by step guide to get going? Please excuse my ignorance. I am on probation and want to get the requisite flights in before I get terminated.

The servers are working quite well.

Did you try the Pilot's Resource Center? http://vatsim.net/prc

There is a first flight tutorial there.

Kyle Ramsey