You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Getting started in ATC

Ruth McTighe 824054

John Koranteng
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Alberto Perez said:

Region: Europe

Division: Europe (except UK)

Contact the EUD membership department and request which vACC you wish to settle into. 
Do take a look at this link to know who to contact to set your home vACC. If you are not certain about which vACC to choose, take a view of the EUD vACC List. After the vACC has been set by the EUD membership Department, you can request for ATC training sessions with the local vACC training department. 

Enjoy!

John K
VATSIM Membership Department - Data Auditing
[email protected]

vatsim_250.png.cb6bb5fa2b0b19b9301c46c1dea85658.png

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

• Levi Duroy 981416

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

Ruth McTighe 824054 18 posts

• Levi Duroy 981416

Levi Duroy 981416 13 posts

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 11 posts

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Lakhbir Singh 936840 8 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 20 2007

10 posts

• Oct 14 2007

9 posts

• Nov 29 2010

9 posts

• Feb 3 2007

8 posts

Stefan Weiss
Posted
Posted

Hi, I also have trouble getting started as ATC in Europe. The links provided all lead to the VATEUD main webpage which doesn't seem to contain any useful information. Thanks for you help!

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stefan Weiss said:

Hi, I also have trouble getting started as ATC in Europe. The links provided all lead to the VATEUD main webpage which doesn't seem to contain any useful information. Thanks for you help!

ATC training is handled by the individual vACCs. Where would you like to begin your training?

Edited by Lars Bergmann

Stefan Weiss
Posted
Posted

I gotta ask: What's a Vacc? (As I mentioned, the link provided doesn't contain any info.) Thanks!

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Stefan Weiss said:

I gotta ask: What's a Vacc? (As I mentioned, the link provided doesn't contain any info.) Thanks!

Virtual Area Control Center. If you let me know where you'd like to control I can provide you with a link to the relevant website for that area 🙂

Edited by Lars Bergmann

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Stefan Weiss said:

Which airport or country are you interested in?

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png

Stefan Weiss
Posted
Posted

Maybe Zurich LSZH or Munich EDDM. Is there gonna be some flexibility later on?

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Stefan Weiss said:

Maybe Zurich LSZH or Munich EDDM. Is there gonna be some flexibility later on?

Training for Zurich is handled by vACC Switzerland, https://www.vacc.ch

Training for Munich is handled by vACC Germany, https://vatsim-germany.org

Both of those have instructions on how to get started on their website.

As for flexibility: Initially you will only be able to control at your home vACC. Once you have progressed in your training you will be able to visit other vACCs/ARTCCs as a visiting controller (c.f. https://www.vatsim.net/documents/transfer-and-visiting-controller-policy).

Edited by Lars Bergmann

Stefan Weiss
Posted
Posted

Thanks Lars & Tim!

• 5 months later...
Wiktor Sobaszkiewicz
Posted
Posted

Hello,

This might be a stupid question, but I cannot find any information. Do I have to own any of the simulators to became an vATC or do I only have to install all the ATC software? 
Greetings

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Wiktor Sobaszkiewicz said:

Hello,

This might be a stupid question, but I cannot find any information. Do I have to own any of the simulators to became an vATC or do I only have to install all the ATC software? 
Greetings

Controlling does NOT require the use of Flight Simulation software.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Wiktor Sobaszkiewicz said:

or do I only have to install all the ATC software?

Further to Rob's comment, you would install whatever ATC software your training organisation needs you to. You will need to be a member of a Division and sign up with that Division to start ATC training. They will answer all your questions. :)

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

• 7 months later...
Christopher Henderson
Posted
Posted

Joined VATSIM few weeks back, looking to do small flights here and there but mainly ATC. Since Joining the link to go start the process has been down so i have not been able to select a region/division. Any other way i can go about this?

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Christopher Henderson said:

the link to go start the process has been down

Which link?

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Christopher Henderson
Posted
Posted
On 8/29/2022 at 3:52 PM, Alistair Thomson said:

Which link?

https://www.vatsim.net/air-traffic-control/training Its always just brought me to a blank white page everytime

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

That link is gone: the website has been updated. If it's in your bookmarks, you can delete it. Go to VATSIM.net>Documentation>Becoming A Controller for the info you need..

Alistair Thomson

===

Gabriel Reiser
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Alistair Thomson said:

That link is gone: the website has been updated. If it's in your bookmarks, you can delete it. Go to VATSIM.net>Documentation>Becoming A Controller for the info you need..

I’m on mobile and I’m unable to reach that page in the docs. The side Nav is blank.

Gabriel Reiser
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gabriel Reiser said:

I’m on mobile and I’m unable to reach that page in the docs. The side Nav is blank.

Just realized the little nav icon on the bottom right of the screen on mobile is to open up a right Nav with all the links. I expected this to be shown in the left Nav under the hamburger icon and the left side Nav comes out. Who ever though the right Nav with an icon on the bottom of the screen was a good idea probably shouldn’t be building web experiences for the public. That’s government level inefficiency.

please make that right Nav show up under the hamburger Nav so that normal people don’t go insane submitting questions on where to find things.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gabriel Reiser said:

I’m on mobile and I’m unable to reach that page in the docs

Can't help you there. It will be something to do with the way VATSIM.net is shoehorned into a mobile device, but I can tell you that I'm using a POS Android tablet at the moment which is I suppose a mobile device and I have no issues. Put a ticket into Membership Support.

Alistair Thomson

===

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted
On 9/5/2022 at 2:19 AM, Alistair Thomson said:

Can't help you there. It will be something to do with the way VATSIM.net is shoehorned into a mobile device, but I can tell you that I'm using a POS Android tablet at the moment which is I suppose a mobile device and I have no issues. Put a ticket into Membership Support.

It's an issue with VATSIM and the tech team is known of this issue. I had reported it last week.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

• 2 months later...
Vincent-Idriss ACHAOUI
Posted
Posted

Hi, first of all I'm pretty new here ! I would like to become a vATC and i'm looking for any information that could help me ! 
All the links i had saw wasn't working on this topic

Regards, 
Vincent