You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Getting started in ATC

Ruth McTighe 824054

Chris Carter 1010298
Posted
Posted

You should have a "controller list" (if not, check the display options) - there you can see all ATC and Observer within your visibility range (you can reset your vis range in the general options and the center of this range ring by the command .vis XXXX).

Rightclick on a controller's entry, then click on "Get ATIS" (or similar) in the popup menu. This will open a chat window (maybe the controller's entry will be blue, then you have to doubleklick on it to open chat window), where you can find the information. There should be a URL like "voice.vacc-austria.org/loww_twr" - now you have to put thwe URL's first part (voice.vacc-austria.org) in the "vox server" box and the second part (loww_twr) in the "vox channel" box. The corresponding frequency you can read in the controller list beneath the ATC station. Name should be obvious...

If you filled all boxes and clicked "save settings" (or similar), you can then click on "RX" for "recieve" - please don't click on PRIM, as this would make you the "owner" of said freq. Hope that helps

Chris Carter

VACC Austria Controller

eventbanner.php

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

• Levi Duroy 981416

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

Ruth McTighe 824054 18 posts

• Levi Duroy 981416

Levi Duroy 981416 13 posts

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 11 posts

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Lakhbir Singh 936840 8 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 20 2007

10 posts

• Oct 14 2007

9 posts

• Nov 29 2010

9 posts

• Feb 3 2007

8 posts

Shann Congdon 1140973
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the controller software. I'm a real-world ATC en-route developmental, so I'm really excited to get on this. Are we having some long-term server issues, or what?

Any advanced tips are welcome: [email protected]

Thanks, guys!

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

You can download it from VATSIM.net under controller's software

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Shann Congdon 1140973
Posted
Posted
You can download it from VATSIM.net under controller's software

"that file is no longer available." It sends me to the AVSIM library, with this error, I had to make a separate registration on that site. I'm having no joy...

If anyone could either send me a link for the ATC software (or e-mail the software directly), it sure would be appreciated. I can control the entirety of the Kansas City center, if such a vacancy exists.

-SC

Adam Trzcinski
Posted
Posted

See Norman's reply in the other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46123&p=337691#p337691

You will also need to obtain the necessary rating in VATSIM to control.

I'd recommend this link for starters and the find the corresponding division for where you want to control:

http://www.vatusa.net/home.php

VATSIM Germany

www.ftw-sim.de | Fly-The-World economic simulation

Shann Congdon 1140973
Posted
Posted

Thank you, sir. I found the VRC software, and have it running. Now I just have to jump through the hoops of learning how to observe!

I'll check your starter guide there.

Shann Congdon 1140973
Posted
Posted

I've been looking on and off for hours today, with no hope of finding my ZKC sector files. I've registered on the ZKCARTCC forums, but it's somewhat like a ghost town, and there's no downloads available. Any suggestions?

I apologize for the "hold my hand" approach here, but I just want to get logged in and start observing.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted
I've been looking on and off for hours today, with no hope of finding my ZKC sector files. I've registered on the ZKCARTCC forums, but it's somewhat like a ghost town, and there's no downloads available. Any suggestions?

I apologize for the "hold my hand" approach here, but I just want to get logged in and start observing.

Shann,

Go to this page and select the last link on the bottom (ZKC Sector Files [v1.49]).

http://zkcartcc.net/page-downloads/

Eleuterio Ramos 1026343
Posted
Posted

Hello Mr.

YES, i need a big, big, big hand to ,

my vatsim cid 1026343, I have already in VATEUD division,

please contact me to start.

Thanks

VIRTUAL-NATOhor_CMYK-2--px.jpg

vSEC-GEN Eleuterio Ramos

http://www.virtualnato.org (Admin - Founder)

CHOD Portugal - COM AIRCOM NATO-001

[email protected]

VSO’s Relations

[email protected]

Events

[email protected]

• 3 weeks later...
Ahmed Ahsen 1134637
Posted
Posted

hi guys,

I am new here, real world pilot and flight instructor - want to learn atc procedures.

already set up VRC observed for a few hours in LAX_CTR

My division VATSEA is not taking any people for training, any division willing to help? I am very, very eager to learn and then setup a new division in the future for my region.

And one more thing - my mic is consistently picking up way too much background noise, even though on MSN/Skype I can chat crystal clear. In the audio options I see my driver, then 'wave' and 'direct' - which should I select?

thank you!

Kevin Copeland 1103506
Posted
Posted

My division VATSEA is not taking any people for training, any division willing to help?

Really? That doesn't sound right...

From the: Founders Letter to the Community

1. Lack of Inclusivity

As we briefly mentioned above, there is growing evidence that tight-knit groups of members are getting into staffing positions at the local level and then proceeding to create their own little exclusive clubs within their virtual airspace. Certain of these individuals then perpetuate this atmosphere by putting into place rules and procedures which severely limit the ability of general members to advance through the ATC ranks. These problem areas are typically evidenced by the following:

• Next to no promotions for long periods of time in their area

• Imposition of impossibly difficult “over-the-shoulder” exams

• Unreasonably high controller standards which are not supported by network traffic levels

• Imposition of requirements of unreasonably high hours prior to consideration of advancement of ATC ranks

• Testing periods which take months and even years (in extreme cases)

• Staff who agree to volunteer for positions and then fail to perform

Kevin Copeland

Air Traffic Director

VATUSA Southern Region

VATSIM Supervisor

1103506.png

1103506.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

helps if you know why theyre not taking anymore controllers usually it just means the training is too backed up to take on any new controllers. in Thailand we've had to stop accepting any new OBS rated members while we work on the guys we have already, only 2 instructors in the division. once we catch up with the ones we have, it'll open right back up to OBS members.

at some point things like that have to happen, if not youll end up with a line of 50 students, some who may end up waiting over a month to get started. in order to prevent that from happening, these types of decisions are made.

its not because they dont want new members, its because they cant keep up with the ones they have at the moment. would you rather be in line and wait a month and complain that they dont want to train you? instead you'll be turned around until they can take on new members and start working with you immediately.

Kevin Copeland 1103506
Posted
Posted

Please don't get me wrong. I wasn't accusing or [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming anything exclusionary was going on.

in Thailand we've had to stop accepting any new OBS rated members while we work on the guys we have already, only 2 instructors in the division. At some point things like that have to happen, if not you'll end up with a line of 50 students, some who may end up waiting over a month to get started.

why are there only two instructors? lack of interest? Obviously if you have 50 students, there must be some seasoned controllers in the division that can instruct. Whether or not they want to is another story.

would you rather be in line and wait a month and complain that they don't want to train you? instead you'll be turned around until they can take on new members and start working with you immediately.

As opposed to what? waiting two or even three months for the division to start taking new members And then start?

The way I look at it is like this:

New member "Johnny" wants to try his hand at ATC. For sake of this argument lets say he wants to control in Siberia. Johnny is excited to begin and reads through all the required material and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es the required exams. He heads over to the Siberia FIR to sign-up just to find out they are no longer taking new students.

Johnny has three options:

#1 he can say the heck with it and either just fly, or abandon the network as a whole.

#2 he can find another division to sign up with and train and control

#3 he can wait until his number comes up in the Siberia FIR and begin his training.

option #1 Johnny and the Vatsim network looses as a whole

option #2 The Siberia FIR looses

option #3 Is tough. really...Having just been through something like this, I can say; You gotta really want it and have some determination. I don't know how many times I wanted to take option 1

It's not like Vatsim is overflowing with controllers so having to turn people away must be painful.

Kevin Copeland

Air Traffic Director

VATUSA Southern Region

VATSIM Supervisor

1103506.png

1103506.png

Steven Cullen
Posted
Posted
helps if you know why theyre not taking anymore controllers usually it just means the training is too backed up to take on any new controllers. in Thailand we've had to stop accepting any new OBS rated members while we work on the guys we have already, only 2 instructors in the division. once we catch up with the ones we have, it'll open right back up to OBS members.

at some point things like that have to happen, if not youll end up with a line of 50 students, some who may end up waiting over a month to get started. in order to prevent that from happening, these types of decisions are made.

its not because they dont want new members, its because they cant keep up with the ones they have at the moment. would you rather be in line and wait a month and complain that they dont want to train you? instead you'll be turned around until they can take on new members and start working with you immediately.

Has anyone from Thailand Division approached the Regional Director/EC/BoG for [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance? Maybe we could get the hit squad to come back and help train a few of your members?

Respectfully,

Steven

Ahmed Ahsen 1134637
Posted
Posted

Well guys, I am off to VATSAU (Saudi Arabia). Getting started on the study material, wish me luck!

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

dont think so, the real problem is mostly scheduling since we're not from the area, our available times are really different. training, i can get them tested and certed within just a few sessions once we get some local controllers up tho it may get easier to schedule.

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Do I understand this correctly....

We're telling people to come back another time for ATC training? There is nothing they can do while waiting for an instructor?

Richard Jenkins

VATSIM Founder

RJ

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

same things theyll do whether or not theyre on the roster IMO, OBS's cant do anything else but fly or read the docs.

i think why most have chosen to just stop taking on people until the bottleneck clears is it relieves the obligation to get them trained immediately and we dont end up with the same system like we used to have where you could sit on the roster almost the entire year and still not get trained, seen that one personally atleast once. and yes, i did give up on controlling for a long while when it happened.

i'd much rather be told up front they wont be able to train me yet then end up on the roster waiting til god knows when to get started, thats much more likely to make me give up then going where they can actually start training me now. if i really want to control where i first applied, then ill p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the time with the ones that can train me and either become a visitor later or transfer in later.

Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted
dont think so, the real problem is mostly scheduling since we're not from the area, our available times are really different. training, i can get them tested and certed within just a few sessions once we get some local controllers up tho it may get easier to schedule.

I can vouch for that! Ernie was my mentor for the S2 test in VATTHD and we did it in two 3hr sessions, I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed the test and just a few minutes ago handled my first arrvial into VTSP

I do think that even S3 controllers could help out and start with brand new controllers by teaching the basics, such as DEL, GND and TWR, but as VATTHD was recently officially established, I understand there's not too much instructors/mentors, but the number of controllers are growing and some seem to be quite seasoned, but, it boils down to these individuals seeing they have time to mentor/instruct, otherwise it's a loss.

The Hit Squad seems like a good idea though, for any division with more students than the INS can manage.

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted
same things theyll do whether or not theyre on the roster IMO, OBS's cant do anything else but fly or read the docs.

i think why most have chosen to just stop taking on people until the bottleneck clears is it relieves the obligation to get them trained immediately and we dont end up with the same system like we used to have where you could sit on the roster almost the entire year and still not get trained, seen that one personally atleast once. and yes, i did give up on controlling for a long while when it happened.

i'd much rather be told up front they wont be able to train me yet then end up on the roster waiting til god knows when to get started, thats much more likely to make me give up then going where they can actually start training me now. if i really want to control where i first applied, then ill p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the time with the ones that can train me and either become a visitor later or transfer in later.

Thank you for the information. What measures are being taken to get the bottleneck cleared up? I don't think 2 instructors have any chance of keeping up with this kind of new growth. What would help you get back in business?

vatsea.jpg

The other thing I am kind of surprised about is Thailand. The division has 20 members. Thirteen of those members joined VATSIM in 2009. Two new members so far this year. It appears the division has 3 instructors (supervisors) logginf a ton of hours each month and only two other members higher than pilot/obs. I don't understand the bottleneck. Is there more information? An unseen factor? I imagine time zones and language are a big factor.

RJ

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

just so theres no confusion i dont speak for vatasia or vatthd.

and so theres no mistakes, the bottleneck i mentioned earlier is a metaphor, not sure how that got twisted around into being specifically our issue at vatthd

the major issue i see in vatthd is that time/language barrier. me personally, i dont train people everyday, i only offer whatever spare time i can when im not doing other things, usually it doesnt always match up with what local students or even students from anywhere in the eastern hemisphere may have available. lucky for them tho im not working at the moment, so i sometimes can give up some of the morning/afternoon my time which is easier for them, tho when that changes, its goin to be a whole lot harder to get any training in

• 3 weeks later...
David Watson 1146602
Posted
Posted

hi all.

im really new to all this sop please stick with me. These might sound like really sill questions but:

1) to be an ATC, do I still need a flight sim on my PC

2) i cant see the new atc start here link on the left of the vatsim page.....

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
1) to be an ATC, do I still need a flight sim on my PC

Simply, no.

2) i cant see the new atc start here link on the left of the vatsim page.....

Because there's none, or it might have been renamed after the release of the new design. But you should be able to see all the previous contents in this new page. Click here.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

David Watson 1146602
Posted
Posted

Im really struggling here. Sorry to be a pain. I've tried to follow the vrc quick start guide, but i dont have the ndetails needed. Where do I get SRT files, how do I know what frequencies are used for comms, whats my primary comms channel

is there are an easy quick start guide im missing?

thanks

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
Im really struggling here. Sorry to be a pain. I've tried to follow the vrc quick start guide, but i dont have the ndetails needed. Where do I get SRT files, how do I know what frequencies are used for comms, whats my primary comms channel

is there are an easy quick start guide im missing?

thanks

David,

You get sector files from the website of the ARTCC/FIR. You can find out a controller's frequency by right clicking on his position in the controller window and choosing "GET ATIS."

However, all of these details are typically gone over in your first training session. You should join an ARTCC/FIR and then contact their training department to setup your first session.