You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Getting started in ATC

Ruth McTighe 824054

Lewis Corcoran
Posted
Posted

I've recently just failed my OBS to S1 exam by 1 Question and in the rts it says 'You must obtain a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] in the theory exam before you are able to book the practical exam for that rating (except OBS > S1).' How do i book the practical exam or mentoring session

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

• Levi Duroy 981416

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

Ruth McTighe 824054 18 posts

• Levi Duroy 981416

Levi Duroy 981416 13 posts

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 11 posts

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Lakhbir Singh 936840 8 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 20 2007

10 posts

• Oct 14 2007

9 posts

• Nov 29 2010

9 posts

• Feb 3 2007

8 posts

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Please don't post the exact same thing in multiple threads.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• 3 weeks later...
Corey Segesdi 1285929
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Vatsim and I'm interested in becoming a controller. I'm from Canada and wish to control in Canada, however, the Vatcan website (https://vatcan.ca/) seems to be down for maintenance. It has been down for at least 24 hours. Does anyone know how I can join my division as per the Vatsim ATC training page? Or do I just have to wait until this maintenance is finished?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
james edwards 1349045
Posted
Posted

Just a general question?

I have been observing on Euroscope for quite sometime now and just wondering how long does it take to get a group observer session. I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed the theory exam first time and just really want to control , i also have some good experience from flying Small Props at Liverpool airport UK

• 10 months later...
Immanuel Pekerti 1399768
Posted
Posted

Hello!

Just going to leave a suggestion here. I actually believe that the main post telling you to start off by looking for "NEW ATC STARTS HERE" in the left hand menu is pretty much irrelevant by now.

I would suggest the thread starter to renew the guide so it won't confuse the new starter. I was confused though, and so I gave this suggestion.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
Ilin Shavreski 1407828
Posted
Posted

What subjects in high school are the most important for air traffic controller?

Ilin

Alex Ying
Posted
Posted
What subjects in high school are the most important for air traffic controller?

Ilin

I wouldn't say any particular subject or cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] is "the most important." What's important are various skills that can be applied to the task of air traffic control. ATC is about maintaining safety and efficiency in a 4 dimensional environment (latitude, longitude, altitude, and time). Therefore, spatial reasoning ability is critical. You can't maintain separation if you can't form a coherent mental picture of what the airspace looks like and how the aircraft are moving through it.

Understanding some basic physics and meteorology wouldn't hurt. A good understanding of arithmetic, geometry, and basic algebra is in some ways necessary (vectoring is essentially geometry), but I would argue that things like good vectoring and sequencing is more a skill that is learned through experience and becomes and intuitive practice over time.

Developing your spatial reasoning and visualization skills is far more important than becoming a math wiz, although that certainly wouldn't hinder your ATC ability.

spacer.png

Instructor // ZNY/ZWY Facility Coordinator

Leonardo Miodrag 1407767
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

as an airline enthusiast, I would really like to start my training!

Who can I contact, I was looking on the VATSIM.net website and could find a simple answer.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Home > ATC > Training (https://www.vatsim.net/air-traffic-control/training)

Joining A Division

To become a VATSIM approved Air Traffic Controller you must first join a VATSIM Region and Division. Most members select the Region/Division that is local to them, though this is not a requirement. It is important to consider the local timezone of the Division you join.

After selecting a Division, navigate to their website to find information about their training process and available contacts for you to get started.

Don Desfosse

• 3 months later...
Aaron Howard 1418473
Posted
Posted

Hey new to the community just signed up for the UK division so awaiting my starting group session. Is there anything I can be doing in the mean time whilst I wait?

I don't know anything about ATC so can't wait to start learning!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the community, Aaron!

I don't know how things are done in the UK, but I'd suggest reading all available training and policy material on their website while you wait for your next session. You could also sign in as an observer at DEL, GND and TWR positions and listen. The more you read, listen and absorb, the better prepared you'll be for your instruction.

Don Desfosse

Aaron Howard 1418473
Posted
Posted

Hello and thank you

Oh ok fantastic I wasn't sure if I want allowed to use the controller software just yet for observing so that's good to know.

Thanks again

• 1 year later...
Bryce Hartnell 1456884
Posted
Posted

Hello, I worked at the Edmonton ACC as a controller in two enroute specialties and am looking to learn more about VATSIM. The link on the 'Training' page join a VATSIM Region and Division does not appear to be working currently. Will read through more of the forums in case there are already answers posted elsewhere on other ways to sign up for regional training (I'd likely prefer enroute control to start, but am interested in learning other areas).

I'm also interested in listening in and maybe joining in on busier areas as I realize there may not be a lot of traffic in VATSIM in and around Canada. Thanks in advance!

Bryce Hartnell 1456884
Posted
Posted

Might be sorted out now. Thanks VATCAN!

Alan Josephs 1457454
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Just joined I am listed as a pilot/Observer, but was trying for ATC how do I change the rating?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Everyone starts out as a Pilot/Observer. Once you've met the requirements to become an ATC within your facility/division, your ATC rating will be awarded.

Don Desfosse

• 5 months later...
Jelle Dikmans
Posted
Posted

Can i take my IVAO rating to VATSIM?

Also cannot find any EHAA sectorfiles. Need help to explore and compare to IVAO.

Jelle

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

Check https://www.dutchvacc.nl/ for the sector file and more information on how to get started in EHAA

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted (edited)
Jelle Dikmans 1471036 said:
Can i take my IVAO rating to VATSIM?

The short answer is not in most places. However, I gather that you have signed up as a member of the Dutch vACC, which falls under the Europe division. The Europe division (VATEUD) does have a network transfer policy that would allow you to have your rating converted. This transfer is limited to individuals who hold an APC or higher rating.

More information can be found in section 6.4 of this policy docomeent (page 24): https://www.vateud.net/fileadmin/content/eud/policies/vatsim_europe_division_policies.pdf

Contact the relevant VATEUD personnel to get more information.

Cheers,

Edited by Andrew Ogden

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

• 4 months later...
Alberto Perez
Posted
Posted

Hi, I'm new at VATSIM. I would like to get training as a virtual controller, but i don't know what to do. Could someone help me?

Brant Marshall
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Alberto Perez said:

Hi, I'm new at VATSIM. I would like to get training as a virtual controller, but i don't know what to do. Could someone help me?

Hi Alberto,

Take a look at the ATC Training page here: https://www.vatsim.net/air-traffic-control/training

This will give you the starting information you need so you can select a Region & Division. Once you select your Region and your Division, you'll be able to navigate their websites to learn more about becoming a virtual controller. Of course, once you have selected your region & division and you still have questions, feel free to poke back. 🙂

Alberto Perez
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Brant Marshall said:

Hi Alberto,

Take a look at the ATC Training page here: https://www.vatsim.net/air-traffic-control/training

This will give you the starting information you need so you can select a Region & Division. Once you select your Region and your Division, you'll be able to navigate their websites to learn more about becoming a virtual controller. Of course, once you have selected your region & division and you still have questions, feel free to poke back. 🙂

I've already selected a Region & Division. What's my next step?

Brant Marshall
Posted
Posted
Just now, Alberto Perez said:

I've already selected a Region & Division. What's my next step?

Just so I'm telling you correctly, what division did you select?

Alberto Perez
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Brant Marshall said:

Just so I'm telling you correctly, what division did you select?

Region: Europe

Division: Europe (except UK)

Brant Marshall
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Alberto Perez said:

Region: Europe

Division: Europe (except UK)

Cool, try reading this: https://www.vateud.net/atc-training/first-steps/